Walmart

Discussion in 'Florida Shopping' started by Deafjeff, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Tink

Tink Administrator Staff Member Administrator

While at the Mall of Millenia, if you don't mind dodging crazy traffic to cross the street, there is a Target. You can get all that you've listed there. Target also supports equal rights for the LGBTQ community, so is a better choice of where to park your money. :)

If you don't have a car, how would you get to Walmart? If the answer is taxi :sigh: then definitely go the North 27 route. Much less traffic and less time spent in a cab. (Hence, hopefully lower fare). If you must. :sigh:

2. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Well-Known Member

Training and Development Manager
    Mmmhhh so it would mean shopping at Florida Mall then to Target and walk to Mall of Millenia....

Maybe we have to give it a miss.....

3. Tink

Noooooo!
    Target is across the street from the Mall at Millenia. If you are taking a cab there, you can then walk across the street to Target. You'd need a cab to Florida Mall, too whether from WDW, or Mall at Millenia (if you were doing it all in one day).

I'd definitely NOT walk around the area of Florida Mall (outside the mall, I mean). It's off the OBT and that roadway is getting more and more sleazy with each passing day.

4. Deafjeff

Mmmhh so we planning to get taxi from WDW to Florida mall then cab to mall at millenia and walk over to target and back to the mall... Would that work?

5. Tink

Yep. Or if you are done shopping when you finish at Target, you can get a cab from there, too. It's not going to make much of a fare difference. If you care to shop at IKEA, there is one on the same side of the road as Millenia Mall. Easy walk to it, too. It's huge.

6. Deafjeff

Does mall at millenia have locker just worried about walking around with brand names etc

7. Tink

Not that I'm aware. It's a fair enough concern, too. :( I wonder if you had plain bags with you? Regardless, being laden with packages is going to draw attention. Perhaps if you do Florida Mall, return to resort to drop off packages, then go on to Mall at Millenia (or do it another day) do Target first (not too many people are going to be "impressed" by your carrying bags from Target) then Mall at Millenia, you should be as safe as you could be. You'd be inside the mall and get your return to the resort cab from there. Hope that makes sense?

8. Deafjeff

We are planning to do it all in one day. Maybe it sensible not to go to target such a shame as really looking forward to stock up on stuff! Does CVS sell Borax anyone know?

9. Tink

CVS may. Borax is an old time item and sometimes hard to find.
    Sounds like you will need to go to Florida Mall, then to Target (if you want) then over to Mall at Millenia. You should be ok doing that. Florida Mall is the area that is the dodgiest. Mall at Millenia, once you are inside, should be fine. Taking a taxi to the door of Target would be ok (from Florida Mall). You'd then just be walking across the street to the Millenia. If it is broad daylight you shouldn't have any troubles.

There are loads of places to eat along there too, but also some nice places in the Mall of Millenia. Cheesecake factory is very popular.

10. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak New Member

Accounting Manager
    Perhaps you could rent a car for a day? Have you looked into the cost of that?

11. Wendy

Wendy Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Could you go to Target first and then walk over to the Mall at Millenia, have a look round and then get a taxi to the Florida Mall. You wouldn't have any brand names on bags then :unsure:

The road is very busy but it really is just a walk across the road.

12. Tink

Wendy, I'd be concerned for them carrying parcels at Florida Mall. That is the area that poses the most risk, so it seems they'd be best to be as hands free there as possible? I'm not a mall fan though, so am not the best source of info on them.

13. Deafjeff

We will have a think.... May go to the mall first then target and mall at millina

14. Tony G

Tony G Active Member

Villa Owner
    Home Page:
    Seconded. They're pretty cheap and if you rent one over a weekend, you could use the other day to do something a little further out - like Kennedy Space Centre.

15. Deafjeff

We are not that keen driving in USA!!!

16. Tony G

Tony G Active Member

Villa Owner
    Home Page:
    Driving in Florida is awesome! It's laid back, there's plenty of space, loads of big parking spaces... What's not to like?!

You could even make it a feature of your trip and catch some rays in a convertible!

17. keith

keith Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Home Page:
    As Tink says, the Florida mall, carpark and surrounding areas are all areas plagued by criminals. Don't want to make too much of it but people being followed from stores inside the mall all the way out to their cars and then mugged for their purchases is far more common place than anyone would like. We had a really unpleasant experience across the road from the mall and it certainly opened my eyes somewhat.

Definitely pays to be mega careful around that whole area IMHO

18. Tony G

Tony G Active Member

Villa Owner
    Home Page:
    I always try and find a parking space as close to the exit as possible, it leaves the least time for anyone to interfere.

Also, I tend to park outside JC Penney. Once I've finished with the mall, I do a couple of laps of the store looking for anything I've missed. This has the added benefit that it would make anyone following me really conspicuous and get their faces on CCTV pretty clearly.

Thankfully, I've never had any issues, even when I've been on my own. The worst I've had is a stroppy gas station attendant at the station opposite.

19. Deafjeff

We had a chat and decided to leave target so we will jump into taxi to mall at millenia then back to WDW. We will use Uber taxi to see what it's like.