1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Walt Disney World testing new Refillable Mugs at All Stars Sports Resort

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World News & Rumors' started by Wendy, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

It seems the refillable mug is to be replaced with a new mug. Disney is trying out a new technology at All Star Sport Resort in the End Zone Food Court. This test incorporates new software technology at the drink dispensers.

According to the report, newly purchased refillable-mugs will remain valid for the length of your stay at the resort. Once your mug expires it will no longer be able to dispense soft drinks from the soft drink dispensers at the food court. You will then only be able to receive water and ice from the dispensers, as will any other cups, including older refillable-mugs you may have.

Disney has always looked for ways to control the resort refillable mug program at its resorts across their property and it would appear they may have decided it’s time to stop the abuse of guests who continually bring their mugs back to Disney resorts every visit.

When you buy a new resort mug at the End-Zone Food Court it will have an RFID chip in it, so that when you use your mug at the soft drink dispenser it will read your mug’s RFID chip and dispense liquid into your mug. Soft drinks will only be dispensed provided your mug is valid.

The new mugs at the All Star Sports Resort have the same “Let the Memories Begin” slogan on them, but are different colours than the current resort mugs at other resorts. If you purchase a regular soft drink cup it will be valid for a short length of time while you enjoy your meal. Additionally, if you just want a cup of ice or water any cup will work for those items.

There appears to be a lot of questions swirling about how this technology works in certain drink dispensing situations like combining drinks, or if you spill some of your drink during dispensing. Apparently, there is a certain amount of time you have to wait after you’ve dispensed a drink with your refillable mug.

Like any test period there will be adjustments made to make the program as fluent as possible. There is no word how long this test will last or if it will spread across other Disney resorts.

2. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

Cmon...really?! Are they really losing that much money in soda? :rolleyes3:

3. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

I was once told that Coca Cola provide their drink FOC to WDW in exchange for the publicity they gain from free advertising.
    Dunno how true this is, but it came from a reliable source.

4. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I've heard that too and been told it more than once by Disney CMs. It makes complete sense too given it's how incredibly cheap the coke syrup is to produce.

5. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

I have also heard the thing about the Coke products being provided FOC to Disney.

6. BUTTERHEAD1

BUTTERHEAD1 Addicted to Mickey

Truth be told I never felt comfortable bringing an old cup from a previous trip. However petty it may be it's still a form of stealing(this is something my wife and I have "discussed" prior to every trip). With that being said if WDW is getting the soda free of charge then they probably should give the cups free of charge to guests staying at their resorts. When we go we always have the dining plan so we really dont need the resort cups.

7. Wendy

:yes: Disney does get the syrup free of charge, it's part of an agreement between Disney and Coca-Cola.

From what I've been reading in other places, it's the additional costs of water, CO2 and electricity that they will be saving :shrug:

Don't they use something similar to this in the water parks :unsure:

8. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

It's ridiculous. Fountain drinks are almost pure profit. And I can only imagine how much the new mugs will cost to recoup the chip.

9. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

Maybe they should make them reusable and if you bring them back you get the cost of the mug taken off. I've never seen the attraction in these as we don't spend enough time in the resort or drink enough soda to justify it. We make coffee etc in our room

10. Johnie

They used to be a cool souvenier when the mugs had a design specific to each resort. Then they started making them all generic :sorry:

11. uscwest

Way back when we got our first mugs they were supposedly good forever. Then they switched to "only on this trip" but never enforced it, but at least each resort had its own. Like Johnie says they are all generic now. I like Julie's idea. If the chip could be recharged on subsequent visits it would save the cost of the mug.

12. Tinkfan

Tinkfan Earning my ears

:thumbsdown: Really? We always buy new mugs but this does indeed seems to waste time and $$. It would be a nice to offer free mugs to anyone who purchases a package instead.A token of their appreciation for the thousands and thousands of dollars we've spent at Disney over the years.:tongue:

13. Johnie

You get a free refillable mug when you get the quick service dining plan.

14. Tinkfan

Tinkfan Earning my ears

:taunt: :tongue:

15. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

IMO, if people were just honest about it Disney wouldn't have had to do this in the first place. It's when loopholes are taken advantage of that this sort of thing happens. Now Disney has to install software on soda dispensers and therefore will in turn raise prices on either the mugs or soda or both.

16. uscwest

Just an observation here. Donna and I bought the refillable mugs at All Star Sports. They supposedly have a chip in them. We noticed that the soda machines now have a lever that you have to set the mug on to fill it. HOWEVER, they never asked how long we would be staying. So if there is a chip in these then I don't know how they are controlling it. We don't use ours for soda, only coffee and the occasional hot chocolate.

17. Wendy

Thanks for the info John, it does make you wonder, did you pay with your room key :unsure: they might have got the information of that.

18. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Yep! And I've got a bunch of them that I'm really glad to have. Like back from when "Dixie Landings" was "Dixie Landings"!

And the new ones aren't worth keeping anymore. There's nothing special about them. They're drink mugs. Who cares? It's not something to be saved anymore. :shrug:

And this doesn't please me. :unimpressed:

Tom :)macwave:... who enjoyed his souvenirs!)

19. Tinkfan

Tinkfan Earning my ears

I agree, the ones we bought in August were blah, just some characters by the pool. Not like they used to be. I'll only buy one for Tyler this time unless they have a Christmas theme

20. Johnie

The mugs are now available with all DDP come 2012.

Yeah, I have the one with the characters by the pool.

I do like the mugs you can get at DHS that are for Halloween and Christmas.