1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

WDW Book

Discussion in 'Mouse on the Move' started by gwennie81, Sep 7, 2010.

1. gwennie81

gwennie81 Earning my ears

My mom brought me this book on WDW she found in her bookshelf.
    We aren't sure if we bought it or if someone gave it to us.
    There's also no publishing date in it but from clues in the text and pictures dates it to 1989 or 1990.
    It is a REALLY cool book covering all of the parks and resorts that were on property at that time. There are also attractions highlighted that do not exist anymore so it was fun to revisit those.
    Thanks, Ma! Best book ever!

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

Attached Files:

2. daveann

daveann Addicted to Mickey

It's good to look back isn't it :)

3. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Oh nice find!!! Wow! No publishing date? That's pretty odd.

4. gwennie81

gwennie81 Earning my ears

It's a really incredible book. I've had fun flipping through.

The pics of DHS are from JUST after it opened as MGM. The whole avenue leading to TOT, B&B Amphitheater, and Aerosmith's RR isn't even complete. The hat isn't there, and the Chinese Theater is the main focal point.

Discovery Island is highlighted along with River Country.

Wackily enough, there WAS a barber shop that existed 20 yrs. ago as there is a pic of it (the "new" one is by the Fire Station just off of Main St.)

There are no drinking fountains on Cinderella's fountain, Cinderella's castle looks super-white, the "tents" in Fantasyland are more colorful and varied in decoration.
    20,000 Leagues Under The Sea has its own page, ToonTown Fair was much smaller and was called "Mickey's Birthdayland" created in honor of his 60th b-day.

Innovations was called "CommuniCore". Wonders Of Life was more than just a convention center, the Horizons building housed an animatronic look at future life (before Mission:Space took over), the World of Motion took a look back at the development of transportation (pre-exterior roller coaster attachment), The Land housed a ride called "Kitchen Kabaret" which covered the 4 food groups, World Showcase has pretty much remained the same.

The biggest difference is what the gift shops used to sell. Actual treasures from other countries and the past instead of Disney trademarked gear. In Liberty Square you could get customized perfumes, sterling, pewter, and colonial china and early American furniture instead of Mickey christmas ornaments and Obama t-shirts.

Also, from the aethetic standpoint, really long queue and fast pass signage and markations have gummed up the clean, neat looks of the parks.

That's all! Really awesome book!! I'm glad she found it!

5. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Serious Forum Regular

Oh that would be very interesting to look at. wow!

6. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

I love looking back at these books!! I have books like this and the soft cover picture books dating back to 1974/75.