1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

WDW to provide 50 acres of free land for proposed high-speed railway from Tampa to Orlando

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World News & Rumors' started by Beccaberry, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

Hoping to capitalize on an economic stimulus funding for high-speed rail in Florida, Walt Disney World has pledged to devote 50 acres of its resort property to a train station. This is a departure from its earlier reaction to a previous plan to bring high-speed rail to Orlando. The former plan included a stop at the Orange County Convention Center (an area very close to Disney World's major competitor, Universal Studios) which may explain Disney's reluctance to support the plan. There is speculation though that Disney's recent purchase of Marvel Entertainment (whose prior contracts with Universal Studios will now benefit Disney financially) has softened its concern about the train stop.

The Tampa-Orlando high-speed rail system would reduce traffic along sections of I-4, shorten travel times between Central Florida's major metropolitan areas, and provide an environmentally friendly alternative to driving. Additionally, tourists wishing to combine travel to Disney World and Florida's Gulf Coast beaches would be able to do so without renting a car.

2. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

During rush hour this would have been nice to have, but to be honest, during off times it takes no time at all to reach disney from Tampa.

3. gwennie81

gwennie81 Earning my ears

I'm going to guess that the stipulation would be for a stop to be at the Disney property.

The rail would be a great way to connect the Tampa and Orlando airports to the Disney property. Just hop on the train at the airports. No worrying about taxis, buses or shuttles. Your luggage would be in your possession the whole time. No worrying about crazy I-4 traffic.

For those of us who live in FL...the high-speed rail seems like a crazy idea. (And this is coming from a city planner). I don't know if anyone would actually use it to commute. How many stops would there be? Would it be faster than actually driving? How much would a train pass cost? Would it be cheaper just to gas up the car and go?