WDW without a car?

Discussion in 'Transportation, Travel and Car Rental' started by Deb, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Deb

Deb Active Member

I have just read Becca's thread on "getting around in the world" and asking about how easy it is to use a car there. It's interesting as I have not ever been there without a car. We find it really easy to get around, quite like the freedom to pop to a supermarket or a mall for shopping if we feel like it, and to get to some early breakfasts in the first few days when the time difference means we are up and ready to go when it is still dark.

However, this is the first time we will have stayed on Disney property within walking distance of parks, as well as lots of eating options (at the Yacht Club, just in case you didn't hear me shouting it from the rooftops yesterday when I booked it :D ). We are seriously considering not hiring a car, and simply using Disney transport, or the odd taxi on site for the times when we really want to be somewhere fast, and for a couple of planned trips to a mall. We usually ditch the car by mid afternoon anyway as we like to have a drink with our evening meals. We thought about placing an order with somewhere like Garden Grocer for the things we like to have in our room, which to be honest is mainly beer and wine for our relaxing time on the balcony or in the hotel grounds (do you see a theme developing here ;) ), and bottles of water, and that would mean we wouldn't need trips to the supermarket, unless we wanted to just go and look at everything there and go "oooo, you can;t get that in the UK!", or check out the Walmart experience :D . It is mainly our intention this trip to enjoy the location of the hotel, and the Disney experience, and we want to relax as much as we can.

We have gotten frustrated though with the busses previously at times, though I am not sure how much of that is the fact that the bad experience tends to stick in our minds more, and when things are running smoothly we don't mind so much. What are everyone's experiences of not having a car at all there? Thank you! :thumbsup:

2. keith

keith Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Home Page:
    We never used to hire a car, always stayed on site and just used taxis for malls etc.

I think it depends on the type of holiday you're looking for and the type of group it is. By that I mean, there are people we know who wouldn't THINK of waiting for a bus even at Disney. They don't much like the disney restaurants so every meal is offsite etc. For them, it would be a nightmare not having a car.

For us, especially when we stayed on site, the buses were absolutely fine. In fact I'd say that the trip was part of the fun! A bus, a monorail, a boat ride etc. Sure you need to leave about 60-90 mins sometimes to get to another resort, but other than that, no hassle, you can drink without worrying and so on.

Every now and again, a bus wouldn't arrive.. we found this most often with the Downtown Disney bus. Whether they got full before our stop or what I don't know, but sometimes it just wouldn't arrive but ok, 15-20 mins till the next one.

Now that we stay mainly offsite, we couldn't do without the car and love the freedom from that point of view, but onsite? nah, definitely don't need one

3. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak New Member

Accounting Manager
    We have done both but I prefer leaving the car behind and taking Disney Transport. It gives more of a feeling of truly being away from the real world and that you are on a 28,000 acre Disney Island.

4. piglet

piglet Well-Known Member

clerical
    We had a car once and personally I wouldn't want to do it again. I think it's ok if you all want to do the same thing but I'm not too bothered with any parks other than Disney whilst other members of the family like to go to Universal or shopping (!!!!? why?). It may have been that the one time we went using a car we were staying off site and the buses to the parks only went at set times and that's what I love about Disney, you can be doing nothing and then decide you want to go to a park and just walk down to the Disney Bus stop and you're there. I don't care if it takes a while to get there, I just like people watching on the bus.

5. Tink

Tink Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Given that you are at the YACHT CLUB :D you are in a very good location to not use a car. You can walk to two parks, as you know, and through an entire circle of resorts. The bus transport is a bit stuffy, as WDW does this weird thing with deluxe resorts and travels between them with one bus (unless something has changed). We got around that by walking to the front of EPCOT for the monorail, which only works if you have a park hopper, or AP, of course. You will need a bus to AK and to DTD. :yes:

You can (we've done it) walk from DTD to the Crossroads area. However, the grocery store there is going to burn in hell for the prices it charges people. Absolutely gouging.

The YCBC is a great resort to simply enjoy, especially with that lovely pool, and the little beach. Do stay OUT of the lagoon water though. Way, way out, ok?

If you wanted to rent a car for a day or two shopping, that wouldn't be a bad idea. Weekends see some nice Farmer's Markets in the area (Winter Park, and Winter Garden, not close, but both are nice) and there is my favorite shopping area, Winter Garden Village/Fowler's Grove which you will definitely need your own car.

But if you are going car-less, this is the time to do it.

6. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak New Member

Accounting Manager
    That's an entertainment venue in itself.

7. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak New Member

Accounting Manager
    This is what we do as well when staying in the Epcot Resort area.

8. robertcraig

robertcraig Well-Known Member

retired
    Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    I always have a car as I usually spend a few days at St Augustine and then drive to Disney but when I am there apart frm a few trips to the malls the car remains in the carpark

9. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Well-Known Member

Training and Development Manager
    We never hired car and always use taxi or wdw buses and don't have any issues

10. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Active Member

Housewife.
    We never have a car. We've got used to the pros and cons of Disney transport. ;)
    If going offsite, we use taxis or a towncar service.
    We've also taken taxis back from parks if queues are massive. Only costs a few dollars.

11. Tink

Tink Administrator Staff Member Administrator

And your Pound Sterling is much stronger than the US dollar! :D

12. Deb

Deb Active Member

Thanks to everyone for your comments :) After reading them and talking it through we've decided to not bother with a car this time. The worst that can happen is we have to take a few taxis :) Now, to research the grocery delivery places to make sure we can get our essentials delivered. I only have 7 months to work that out ;)

13. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Well-Known Member

Training and Development Manager
    Some town cars offer free grocery trip if you book then for round trip. I heartily recommend uber. They were cheap and brilliant. The inky issue is that you need to have internet or data connection to order taxi. As they track you via GPS and you can see where they are in real time. Also you can see picture of the driver etc. Base on what happened I would do screen shot just in case.....