Wdwnut's 'celebration of life' trip

Discussion in 'General' started by Lauren Rogers, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Lauren Rogers

Lauren Rogers Member

beauty therapist
    So what else was I meant to do with my time on maternity leave?!

As a lot of you may know, my dad was planning a trip of a life time to celebrate his recovery and second chance at life following his life saving operation which unfortunately he didn't live to have. We've had to put off my dads trip for a few years as we've had some pretty big (expensive) things come up and then we decided to start a family.

So, we plan to go Oct 2016 and our baby will be around 20 months.

I've got a rough idea of the itinerary my dad had in mind and thanks to you guys helping me when I tried to arrange it before, have a list of things he wanted to include in the trip.

I'm wondering how different a trip it is from 5 adults which we normally have, to 4 adults and one toddler? Obviously my dad didn't know about the baby and wasn't including him/her in the trip planning.

Any advice or wisdom from anyone whose taken young children for the first time?

2. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Dazzling everyone with my sheer awesomness :D
    Ah bless you, have you had your baby yet? Isn't it about due now?

3. Lauren Rogers

Lauren Rogers Member

beauty therapist
    No not yet, babies due 28th March so not long left! Can't wait!

4. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Well-Known Member

Teacher/planetarium director
    Lauren, congratulations on your upcoming delivery. What a joy! I just know you Dad will be there with you and your baby always. I feel. Ad that I never got. Chance to meet him in person, but felt I knew him and shared a bit in our love of Disney. As you go by the Rose and Crown, please know that my brother and I will always stop by for a pint, and always raise our glasses to your Dad.

I know you will have a wonderful and inspiring time ther on your visit.

5. Beccaberry

Beccaberry Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Website Manager/IT
    Oh Lauren! It's going to be such an amazing trip! I just know it! We took my daughter for the first time when she was just 9 months old...it was so much fun! The photos you'll have from this trip will be priceless.

I've got tons of tips and I'm sure others will as well, but my best one is to familiarize yourself with where the Baby Care stations are! They are invaluable!

6. Tink

Tink Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Our Dawn wrote a wonderful trip report on the visit they made when Steven was under a year old.

Having visited with little ones, it's important to have a regular schedule. You can squeak a bit out of them here and there, but the best thing to do is to keep the little one on the normal schedule of meals and rests.

Have new things for the little one to play with on the plane, and perhaps while standing on line to help keep the peace.

Don't be afraid to take the visit at the pace of the child. Pushing a little one is never a good idea, and you'll miss enjoying the day through the baby's eyes.

If the child fears the characters, then of course, you'll not force the issue. :D

We always (ALWAYS) found it best to bring the child's food along, and not let the baby load up on park treats. Not too much fun dealing with the results of an upset stomach or other dietary issues that can arise when little ones eat too much food that their little bodies are not familiar with.

Bring your own stroller if at all possible. The Disney ones are not that great, expensive, dirty (sorry, but they are) and only for the parks. It's no fun to schlep a tired (sleeping?) child from the park to the car or hotel without a stroller. Umbrella strollers are easy, but not always the best idea. If you do go with an umbrella style, be SURE it has a hood style shade for the sun, and that it's substantial enough to allow the child to be comfortable, and recline if needed.

Bring any of your own medicines the baby may need. Switching up something to a US version may not be a great idea.

Sunscreen, HAT and sunglasses are important. A HAT with a visor is a good idea if the baby won't keep glasses on. Did I mention that the child will need A HAT? OIY!

Don't listen to those foolish people who say, "but s/he won't remember anything." YOU WILL. Photos will be wonderful, and memories are important for parents, too!

Oh and mind the broccoli. Steven whacked Cinderella around the face with a stalk of it at dinner, so be warned. ;)

Most important, of course is that you come back here and give us a GREATLY DETAILED recounting of the entire visit complete with LOADS of photos! :D :D :D

7. Dawn

Dawn New Member

Yep Steven was about 8 months when we took him and we had an amazing trip. He's 11 now and we still sit and look at the photos together. And yes he did whack Cinderella with a piece of broccoli but she was very forgiving.

Ask me anything you want.

8. Tink

Tink Administrator Staff Member Administrator

What's the meaning of life?

9. Dawn

Dawn New Member

10. Vikki

Vikki Well-Known Member

Totally agree about babycare centres. They are like a total oasis on a warm day. I also agree about taking your own buggy if at all possible.

11. Deb

Deb Active Member

I have no advice as the youngest child I have taken was 5. But I just wanted to say that I am really happy to hear that you are taking this trip :) Another one here who stops at the Rose and Crown to raise a glass to your Dad.