1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

We are going to DC! Will it be warm enough?

Discussion in 'SeaWorld/Discovery Cove/Aquatica' started by Deb, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Deb

Deb Serious Forum Regular

I wasn't intending to go any park outside of Disney other that IOA, but when we were looking at our newly arrived Frommers guide book last night Mr Deb got very interested in DC, and wondered why it was so expensive. I told and showed him the website, and he immediately said "we are definitely doing that!" :mental::tralala:

It is $199 at that time if year, which seems reasonable :yes: As it includes SW entry we'll also be going there, so it looks like I may have to have a mini-itinerary!.

Anyway, it's our first time there! My question is (in the continuing theme I have of worrying about whether I'll be frozen solid in January :lol: ) will we be comfortable enough if it turns out to be one of those January days that aren't full of Florida sunshine? Will we care? :D

Thank you! :wave:

2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Probably not, as long as it doesn't rain. You'll be given a wetsuit, and that will go a long way toward keeping you comfortable in the water. :yes:

3. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

The wetsuits are warm. You've seen our pics. It was chilly at 9 am but inthe 80s by noon. Do it. It's magical

4. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

Each time we have been to DC it has been in January. Twice we actually took an hour out at the side of the pool to sunbathe. The other time was colder but apart from the time spent in the tropical reef, we didn't notice the cold.

I'd definately go for it :yes:

5. BigThunder

BigThunder a cool thingy

Oh Deb, that will be so much fun! I've always wanted my girls to get to do that because it would be such an experience. I'm afraid my fear of ocean life & them actually swimming up against me is too deep to actually do it ;) But I envy those brave enough to.

6. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

it will be absolutely freezing, you better give your tickets to me :taunt:

7. Deb

:taunt:

8. Tinker

Tinker Earning my ears

Yeah, Go For It ! You never know what you will get weather wise in Florida . When we first arrived at WDW 17- 10 , I thought I'd about freeze . It was in the low 60's upon arrival and in the 40's by the evening . The week before we got there it was in the 90's . Do It and Have Fun !

9. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

One year (the winter of 1996) we went down for Christmas and stayed into the new year. It was so hot I got sunburnt. :eek: Had to buy shorts!

Then there was the Christmas (ummm...2005 maybe?) that it rained miserably. We went to OKW for the holiday and spent the entire Christmas day in our villa as the weather was horrid.

Then there was last year where it was lovely, with the exception of the ONE day we all trekked to MK! :lol: Cold and miserable! :sigh:

Mixed bag, and pure luck.

10. Skywatcher

Look girl you're British !!! - we go swimming in the sea in sub zero temperatures.

It'll be fine once you got your shoulders under :D

11. BigThunder

BigThunder a cool thingy

I still say, I'll take unpredictable & possibly cold January over the heat of July or August any time. I really don't think it's going to be all that bad for you Deb unless you like to swim at night. In that case, bring a wet suit ;)

12. *Bambi-Belle*

*Bambi-Belle* Imagineer

We were there in July and found it too hot lol. It made stepping into the reef pool feel like stepping into the North Sea. I live near the NS so know what it feels like heehee.:yes:

We also went on the 28<SUP>th</SUP> of December last year and it was fantastic. The temperature was spot on nothing felt to hot or too chilly going into the reef pool was much more comfortable and didn't have my youngest teeth chattering like it had in the summer, and the bonus being blue skies the whole day, no afternoon thunderstorms.

Just to say though, the weather was amazing when we were in Orlando last Christmas. Warm everyday and no rain. I'm not sure if that's what it's always like that at that time of year.

13. Deb

Thanks guys! It's funny hearing all us Brits saying it's warm then....I get it, it'll feel warm to us regardless! Especially as I am a North East girl...I can still hear my dear departed Nanna telling me I couldn't go out drinking in Newcastle in a little strappy top in the middle of a blizzard :lol: I couldn't do it now but I must still have it in me somewhere!

So we are going to book, thank you. We are thinking Sunday 17th Jan, as we get there on the 14th, and that weekend is Martin Luther King weekend, which the guidebooks say is a bit busier in the parks. As DC only has limited admission then that will obviously not be a problem there :thumbsup:

Anyway, we are already planning our Mickey fleece purchases....we would just walk straight past them in Summer!!!

14. Skywatcher

That exactly what we did :yes:

Its the right choice hun :D

15. Disneybumble

Disneybumble The Secret is in the Sauce.

Go for it Deb. channel that North East lass you are.

16. Jazmine

Jazmine Dancing Queen!

Ooh you have to do it Deb its sooo amazing we loved it, going to go again in July it was a fantastic day and evening :yes:
    Jacqui xxx