1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

WE FOUND IT!!!!

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by Tink, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

You may remember, well over a year ago I was going on about a small seafood restaurant, that although you could get broiled, they had perfect and delicious fried food. Well, it closed. :(

BUT IT'S OPEN AGAIN!!! They moved to a different location that is a bit larger, and much nicer than the old one.

They have delicious fish and chips, fried oysters, fried whole clam bellies, and a very nice assortment of other fresh fish. I must admit, I didn't much look at the non-seafood items, but they are there.

The clam chowder was very nice, if a bit thick. They have key lime pie (only) for dessert. We were so happy to find this locally owned little place!

Wendy, it's the one we were telling you and Chris about when we went out to Ponce Inlet that day.
    http://www.fish-chipsorlando.com
  2. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

YAYAYAYAYAY!!! :bounce: :bounce: So glad it's turned back up!!! Oh how I love, love, love seafood!
  3. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

2 questions...

How do I get there?

What's a hush puppy?
  4. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

Hush puppies are yummy! The nearest thing i can alike them to are Deep fried dumplings - not Chinese dumplings but the ones we get in stews etc. the ones I've had are slighty sweet with a tiny bit of spice and flavouring. Yum

Just seen they have cornmeal in them, think that's what might give them their slightly sweet taste
  5. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Well, that's the first time I've heard hush puppy referred to as a dumpling! :lol:

They are a very thick batter (think doughnut hole) that is mostly savory. Depending upon who is making it, they can be sweet, although that is the less preferred way. They are made of cornmeal, and have the consistency of a moist doughnut hole. Some have green pepper in them, some don't. Some come with a dab of butter, some don't.

How do you get there? It's off 436 (Called Semoran in some areas of the road way) in Apopka. You can get there vial 429 if you are coming from Disney and points south, or I 4 east bound to 436 west bound. It's a pretty simple place to find. The address in the link is the crossroad at 436, so you simply look for that plaza (Publix is there, so it's well marked) and pull in.

This link does refer to hush puppies as dumplings. :yes: They also say they are finger shaped, which I've never seen. Any I've ever had or seen have been round... again, like a doughnut hole.
    http://whatscookingamerica.net/Bread/Hushpuppies.htm
  6. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

Growing up, our local "fish fry" served finger shaped hush puppies. I prefer the round ones, though. The only advantage the long, skinny ones had was that you could dip then directly into the little plastic cup of butter they brought out ;) like frenchfries and ketchup (oi!)
  7. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Lol I've never heard them referred to as finger shaped! But YES to the butter!!
  8. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I'm not the biggest seafood fan but what little I do like, I REALLY like.

Great to see a place boasting about proper freshness. Should be awesome

Also interesting to see it calling itself a flsh and chip shop :) I've always wondered why there arent any fish and chip shops in orlando (silly epcot one aside).

It's not that I want to do the English tourist thing of going somewhere on holiday and then only eating the same stuff I get back in the UK, but classic english F+C shops are so popular, I feel sure they'd make a fortune in Orlando.

Or am I just missing the fish and chip district somewhere :lol:
  9. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Oh my goodness, I remember you talking about it :) It's brilliant that you have found it again and they have burgers so there is something for Chris to eat :lol: having said that is enjoys fish and chips, so he could surprise us!