1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

We re on our way !!

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by keith, May 1, 2013.

1. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Woohoo we re here in Orlando airport just wandering over to see what selection of rental cars are left for us
  2. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

YAYAY! You made it! Can't wait for your first day!
  3. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

So what did you get? Curious minds and all :-D
  4. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

You are there :mental: dare I ask how long it took you to get through immigration :unsure:
  5. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

It took them ages. :( I had a text from Keith at a little past 9:30 last evening. The lines were really long.

It's raining (started yesterday afternoon) so their welcome to Orlando was less than stellar. :sigh:
  6. Wendy

Oh no :sigh: I had one in the early hours of this morning, I saw it when I got up, he didn't say how long the lines were, but he sounded tired and fed up.

The rain won't last long, he doesn't like it too warm anyway :lol:
  7. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Glad they've arrived safely. I'm sure he'll tell us all about his car.
  8. keith

Hiya

wow what a day! Travel really does get tiring.

It was a strange day because we were on later flights out of Manchester anyway. On top of that the flight was delayed by an hour boarding and then was delayed for another hour and a half at the gate because they were waiting for new pilots, the old ones having come too close to their allowed flight hours.

The flight itself was fine. Premium economy upstairs in the 747 bubble. Those seats still had the same nice seat pitch and felt very roomy versus the new arrangement in the a330. Of course half the bubble is now economy which is a pain because a) it reduces PE seating availability b) it makes for a busier top deck especially queues for toilets. Still, it was fine

Arrived into MCO late and no doubt hit when another flight had got there but the immigration hall was just FULL of people snaking round and around the queue. I reckon we were 5 or 6 fulll room length queues back from the front. So hot that several people fainted and had to be taken to the side. Just an icky arrangement all told and there seemed so few desks open (which I expected given the money saving). Finally got to the front and a very efficient and friendly lady dealt with us in about 2 minutes flat. A LONGGGGGG time to wait for a very short and efficient process.

Then Dollar wouldn't do dollar express on a prebooked booking and there was a queue THERE followed by a very *inefficient* and tedious process to get the paperwork. I really will need to start using a different rental company. Finally got to the garage and all that was left were a bunch of boring Nissan Altimas. Nowt wrong with them, they do the job but are just insanely average with nothing to love at all. I know you'll laugh :taunt: but I like my cars and at least the dodge charger had attitude. I should just rent a mustang or something really :lol: There's a rental agency offsite that does bmw/merc for the same price as dollar does a nissan but I didn't fancy the extra bus ride. Perhaps next time I'll do that but argh ANOTHER bus ride after the flight mmmm

So by the time all that was through we finally emerged from the garage into the dark and rain to try and find the way out of MCO. We're rubbish at this and always have been :lol: we normally try to get the easiest way to the i4 with minimal tolls which I think is usually the 528? This time we tried the 417 and I think we managed it but three tolls argh. It did however take us a couple of junctions from where we needed so all in all worked quite well. Along the way the car kept bumping out of auto into manual which was painful but ok once we realised what it was doing.

Got to Publix 10 mins before it shut at 10pm... All the local eateries had either shut or were close to shutting so it was a quick mc donalds :lol:

Anyway, we're just happy to get here. The villa is perfect as ever and it's great to be back in Orlando :) There were no serious problems or anything yesterday it was just a long tiring day :yes:

We have EPCOT planned as our first park later today after I've swung by the local camera shop which is an essential of course :lol: Hoping to have a bite to eat at Nine Dragons and then watch my favourite fireworks with a glass of champagne from the French pavilion.
  9. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

That all sounds very hectic! Hope today is better :)
  10. Beccaberry

Sounds like you both took a very busy and tiring day in stride. Hope you had a lovely rest and ready to enjoy the day...hope the weather improves a bit for you...
  11. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

Sounds like a good plan for the day. Fair weather my friend. Enjoy!
  12. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Glad to hear that you arrived safe and sound Keith but it seems like you had one heck of a journey. :sorry:
    When you return your car, please remind them that I will be at their counter in June and they had better have a better choice of cars OR ELSE!

Enjoy your hols. :wave:
  13. Suebeattie

Suebeattie Addicted to Mickey

Glad you arrived safe keith. Out of interest/panic what time did your flight land in the end and how long was your wait in the customs queue?

:wiggle:
  14. arkvilla

arkvilla Addicted to Mickey

We flew yesterday Keith, Mademoiselle Rouge (think it was a A330)

From landing to getting to the villa is was just an hour and 35 mins, very good :)

Have a lovely holiday, lets hope the sun comes out soon :)

Sandra
  15. Beccaberry

Arkvilla! It totally slipped my mind that you were going at the same time! Hope you have a lovely trip! Be sure and post a few photos if you have time!
  16. keith

we were supposed to land at 17:55 and landed about 18:50 ish. I'd reckon we were about 2hrs in immigration and then another 45 mins at dollar sigh

Today I think it's going to be the mall and this evening we're trying http://www.bullandbearorlando.com/ at the Waldorf Astoria. First time really so no idea what it's like but it looks good.
  17. Wendy

I have only ever heard good things about the restaurant, so I hope it lives up to expectations :)
  18. Suebeattie

Suebeattie Addicted to Mickey

Oh my goodness Keith!!! How did you keep sane :eek:
    Have a fantastic time :D

:wiggle:
  19. Beccaberry

OOOH that place looks scrummy!! Make sure to take lots of photos!
  20. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Have you floated away yet? :sigh:

The rain is as much as if we were having a tropical storm. We aren't, but the rain and winds are as if we were. :( Miserable driving today, especially in the Daytona Beach area. Flooded roads, flooding at work. I had water in all my buildings, mostly seeping in from the foundation. That's always fun... Driven in under the doors. Ultra mess.

Wicked crashes all over too.

Be safe everyone. It's supposed to ease up by tomorrow. Let's hope the forecasters got that right.