Well hello good people - help getting into a lodge please :)

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World Resort Hotels, Hotels, DVC and V' started by Skywatcher, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Skywatcher

Skywatcher New Member

Wotcha

Sorry again for the absence :( , just when things were looking up and beginning to get better my close work colleague was diagnosed with terminal cancer aged 50. He is the fittest chap you could ever hope to meet, cycled hundreds of miles and did marathons etc. Desperately unfair. I have been supporting him as much as I can but given his knowledge of all things that are happening its very very tough. Plus the fact that 2 others retired in April means being now 3 down those of us that remain are going 14-16 hour days and working through weekends as well. Not pleading poverty by a long shot but having to pay out 3 people has meant a huge pay cut for us as well.
    So , to be honest, we were on the brink of cancelling the holiday - the cost of the flights came to 7K !! But, we sat and talked about it and decided to carpe yet another diem. The boys are growing up fast and opportunities are very limited to make more memories with them as a trio. Ben loved Peppa pig land and was very excited watching an advert for DLP so, at the moment, the holiday is back on.

So far we only have the flights. As we are a 5 we are looking at either WL lodges or AK lodges - both of which need to be offered to DVC members, Disney told me a while ago that they haven't known a time when they haven't ended up putting some on general sale but wondered if there was any way to secure one before then ?

Planning on getting the 14 day passes for us all and probably a 2 day universal jobbie as well as desparate to see Harry potter :)

Any help much appreciated

Again , deeply sorry for absence but intend to put that right and build up to this wonderful trip xxx missed you all

2. Tink

Tink Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Have you considered an offsite villa at all? I know you don't really want to drive on holiday, but you could be so much more comfortable in a villa, and for much less in cost too.

Otherwise, there are the cabins at Fort Wilderness, and the Treehouse Villas that sleep 9. :yes: I do believe you can book a DVC as a non DVC member. That's not a problem, as far as I know.

I think (but am not positive) that Port Orleans has a sleep five option, too.

Good to have you here. I know things have been dreadful for your practice lately. :( :hug2:

3. sarah

sarah New Member

Sorry to hear such bad news for your work colleague
    I agree to make as many memories with your family as possible as it's not long before they are grown up and adventuring on their own holidays,
    The only bit of advice I can give is attraction tickets gave the best ticket price and they will price match if you do find it cheaper anywhere else,
    They also do a combo Disney & universal ticket
    We have only stayed in villas so can't help there
    :)

4. Skywatcher

Skywatcher New Member

I'd rather not have an off site villa to be honest Tink. Onsite is a magical experience in itself. the lodges at WL look wonderful and it means the boys can have their own space which is great

5. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak New Member

Accounting Manager
    I do believe that you can book a DVC resort as a non DVC member. At least you used to be able to. My guess is the most economical is you went that route would be Old Key West.

6. Skywatcher

Skywatcher New Member

Yeah you can book them but its time limited as far as I know - they release them 3-6 months prior to travelling. would be nice to get them locked in earlier as I am very anal about these things :D

We are going April 3rd - 17th 2015

Haven't allowed myself to get excited about it yet

7. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Active Member

Training and Development Manager
    I am not familiar with the lodges but just wanted to say welcome back and sorry to hear about the bad news that you had recently.

8. Skywatcher

Skywatcher New Member

Nice to see you buddy

will have to sort out our ADR as well , especially as its Easter ! Do they do anything for Easter in WDW?

9. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

I was fortunate enough to stop at the Villas at WL (not sure if these are the same thing?) but these were wonderful. We had a two bed with a kitchen it was like a house. Overlooked the small pool. Would recommend them if they're affordable of course.

10. Skywatcher

Skywatcher New Member

Villas is what I mean - duuuuur, sorry bit slow today :D

11. Wendy

Wendy Administrator Staff Member Administrator

You need to talk to Becca, she rented DVC points and was able to stay at the Beach Club. I'll look for the site she used, I don't know if it's a whole lot cheaper but it's a definite way to stand a better chance of getting what you want.

There is a thread here, let me see if I can find it.

Sorry you are going through such hell, how is Ben :hug2:

12. Wendy

There is a long thread here about DVC rental, it might not be any good but it's worth a look.

13. Skywatcher

Skywatcher New Member

Ben is utterly utterly gorgeous and makes my heart ache each and every day with something cute he says or does :D thanks for asking Wen x

14. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Active Member

Housewife.
  15. Wendy

Slightly off topic but a photo would be nice to see how much the little guy has changed :D

16. uscwest

uscwest Active Member

Welcome Home. We haven't rented DVC points but have looked into it and it seems to be quite a bit cheaper than Disney prices.

17. Tink

Tink Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I don't know how it's done, but I do know that renting DVC points is a very cost effective way to book DVC. If you choose the home resort of the person you are renting from, you can book 11 months out. Otherwise, it's 7 months out. You could split your stay between an MK area DVC (we LOVED Bay Lake Towers, but Wilderness Lodge Villas is super nice too) and an EPCOT one. :yes: We really like the Beach Club, but you know that.

OKW will provide you with the most for the least points, or for the least amount of cash (usually).

18. Skywatcher

Skywatcher New Member

ok OKWTink ;) - that was a looong time ago :lol:

how do I go about renting then ?

19. Skywatcher

Skywatcher New Member

well as you asked so nicely :D

This is him in his brand new Saints kit

[​IMG]Untitled by Sidleydoc, on Flickr

20. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

At least it's not a Portsmouth kit ;)

Sorry to jump on the thread.

How safe is renting DVC points? Is it something Disney organise or is it done privately between the DVC holder and the person renting?