1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Well hello good people - help getting into a lodge please :)

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by Skywatcher, Aug 26, 2014.

1. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Peace, Love and Mickey Mouse

Just discovered link not working. It showed a trial run I did for booking a villa at wilderness lodge that sleeps five with tickets. Did it for three adults and two children with two weeks and came out at around £8000.

2. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

wowsers :eek:

will have a look thanks sticky :) , have never found it online before

the boys both count as adults now scarily, one of the reason the flights are insane

3. MystikPiglit

We booked a villa at Saratoga Springs for this year as it was a lot cheaper than Wilderness Lodge. :)

4. Skywatcher

hmm for the dates we put in no WL Villas avaliable just contemporary rooms and AK villas

5. MystikPiglit

AK would be nice for Ben. :)

6. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

Our experience renting points thus far has been awesome. You can rent at the 12 or 7 month window - depending on availability. We actually complete our trip at the end of the month - that will be the real test, but tbh, I have no worries. The company we've worked with have been top notch. I'm happy to share more if you'd like to hear, and I can even pass along the name/email of the broker we've used - she's helped a few other friends out as well.

Oh, and btw, welcome back :D x

7. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

You rent points directly from the DVC owner. It is safe it you are dealing with a reputable person. I do not know how to contact one, or who is, but our Becca can help, as you see.

I do think it's 11 months or 7 months, but what's a month between friends?

AKL is incredible. Yes, OKW is our home resort, but AKL is just lovely.

BEN IS ADORABLE!!!!! Look how much he's grown!!! (Is he sleeping through the night yet)?

8. Skywatcher

Thank you Becca and the details would be great - does it work out cheaper than buying direct from Disney ( he said hopefully) TBH there probably won't be much of a difference over the Easter period ( Which i've just realised is the perfect description of an Easter Egg ;) )

Thanks Tink, and yes we think Ben is adorable too, he is rabbiting away now and sometimes I could just bite him :D , as for sleeping through - err not so much :D , but at least he can breathe now :lol:

9. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I can't add much to the DVC discussion only that "elsewhere" there have been several instances of DVC owners accepting money for bookings using their points but then not paying their dues. In this instance, Disney will cancel all their bookings and refer you to the person involved. Of course, good luck getting hold of them if they've run out of money, in jail or no longer in the country! So people can and have lost money renting DVC points from other people.

I'm sure there are reputable companies that deal in it and I'd want SOME assurance in terms of them insuring the spend or whatever. Not to put a downer on it, but just something to be aware of.

That having been said, I'm a huge fan of Wilderness lodge *AND* animal kingdom lodge. Sure, WL has the boat to the Magic Kingdom which is undeniably brilliant BUT AKL has its own unique vibe which I love. Memories are SO strong from AKL, the music in the background, waiting at the bus stop, the lobby.. and that's before talking about the excellents CMs outside with the animals, night time viewings etc. Love it.

Although a lot of people like saratoga springs, I really don't like it. It doesn't have that "special" feel to me. Only thing going for it for me was the proximity to downtown disney. Having said that, as a base to stay at, if the price is right....

10. sshruff1

sshruff1 Earning my ears

I'd use Dave's Rentals or even The Timeshare Store to rent dvc points. You will have a middle person and they have actual contracts in place for some security. Points are probably more expensive that way but still much less than paying cash. The dvc member has to book the reservation for you.

11. Skywatcher

And presumably the transaction is in dollars which always helps from this end?

12. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

We stayed onsite during one Easter break. They had a lot of events at the PORFQ resort for the kids. Egg hunts and the like. The kids liked it.

13. Beccaberry

You are absolutely right, Tink, I think my fingers ran ahead of my brain :D

We are currently in the process of using The DVC Rental Store, and have been very pleased. They charge $14/per point which is competitive with most other brokers but strike a nice balance between "small company" and "strong inventory" - something we were looking for. A couple of other "factors" that played into our choosing them: 1) Most brokers require a deposit just to search your dates, DVC Rental Store does not - if they have availability for your dates, and you decide to use them - THAT'S when you put down a deposit. 2) They do not require full payment up front. You can carry the balance (I think it's a 60/40 split) until 45 days out - helpful if your trip is several months out and you're saving up.

The downside to renting points (from any broker) is that they are NONREFUNDABLE. Most companies (including The DVC Rental Store WILL help you offload the points at a discount (usually not too difficult if it's during a popular time) but they make no guarantees and you're on the hook for whatever the difference is between what you paid for them originally, and what they were able to make in the reassignment. Another consideration (not a big one for us, but perhaps for some) is that there is no regular housekeeping for DVC rentals. You get "trash and tidy" service on the 4th day of your stay (for stays of 8 days or less) and for stays of 8 days or more, members get a full cleaning on Day 4 and a “trash and tidy” day on Day 8. If this is really an issue, you can pay a fee for more services.

Other than that, many things are still the same - you can add the dining plan, you receive magic bands, etc.

So far, we've been VERY pleased with our agent (Jenny). She is incredibly responsive, very helpful and generally wonderful to work with.

Of course the big question people ask is always, "How much did you save?" We paid $840 for our stay 9/29-10/3, the comparable rate currently being offered by Disney during this time just over $2000. Now, to be fair, that is without any discounts or special offers (rack rate), but the savings is significant.

Phew. I'll shut up now :) Let me know if you have questions!

14. Skywatcher

Having done some research , IF IF IF they let me do it from this country the saving will be in the order of £5k !!! its insane

Watchinherskip likes this.
  15. Beccaberry

I'm happy to email Jenny and ask her what their international policy is?

16. Skywatcher

going to fill out the form with Daves site shortly - looks very well put together

IF I secure a place I'll run you through the figures but I simply can't belive it !!

17. Beccaberry

I just checked with Jenny over at DVC Rental Store, her response was:

"Hi Rebecca,

Yes and we do quite frequently. The hardest part that requires a little patience is the time difference and communication.

Jenny Gray"

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  18. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

If it doesn't work out, let me know. I have a friend in Oregon who rents DVC points when she visits WDW and DL. I'll ask her who she works with.

19. Skywatcher

We are getting there, because it's Easter there was no availability for 4 days in the standard view but there was for the whole in a lake view, couldn't justify park view prices, the difference will pay for the tickets

Just sending emails back and forth but fingers crossed

Tickets are also waaaaaaaay cheaper if you buy in dollars as well on first glance. Will let you know what we find

Beccaberry likes this.
  20. Skywatcher

Aaargh. Just had an email saying they can't book it yet. It's a ton of points and at the moment it's only open to BLT owners and none have enough points. General DVC sale goes ahead on 10th September so fingers crossed.