1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

We're going to Disneyland....

Discussion in 'Non Disney Trips and Travels' started by Oreo, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

and the West Coast of America!

So as you know Jess and I are engaged and things are moving rather quickly for wedding planning.

I had a gut feeling that Jess wanted to get married here in the UK however the further she's looked into it the more it's put her off cost wise.

So after some tooing and frowing we have agreed that we are going to get married in Vegas.

As part of the trip we're also going to try and visit San Fransico, along with California and of course Disneyland.

We both agreed we couldn't go that far and not visit. So we are planning 3 days. 2 for Disney and 1 for universal.

So i'm really chuffed at the moment. We're planning June 2016 and have had a basic quote from Virgin (however this is with next years prices).

So lots of planning to come :)

Dizneyblonde likes this.
  2. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

It sounds like you are going to have a great time.

We did something like that 10 years ago and really enjoyed it.

Oreo likes this.
  3. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I used to work with someone who was married in Vegas because they could get so much more for their money. I forget what hotel they used, but it was absolutely gorgeous. Although invited, I was unable to attend. I watched their video. All who went loved the food, the music, everything.

Sounds like you are going to have a wonderful wedding and a pretty nice honeymoon, too!

Oreo likes this.
  4. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Though I really wouldn't want to live there California is a beautiful state. There is a lot to see and do, not just Disneyland, but I'm sure you know that.

Oreo likes this.
  5. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

Wonderful! Looking forward to see it all developing :wiggle:

Oreo likes this.
  6. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

Yes, and I'm sure when i've been once i'll want to go again and again. Sadly we can only do so much :(

I've always wanted to go to Disneyland, and I will be making every effort to get there.

We wanted to start off our holiday in Vegas, however that would mean flying out of Gatwick and into Heathrow which isn't ideal for us. So, Vegas will need to go into the middle so that we can fly out of and back into Heathrow.

So were planning 2 day in San Fransico, 4/5 days in Vegas, and 2 days in LA and 3 for Disneyland and Universal.

I've quickly realised we won't be able to do everything and we will have to pick out the bits we want to do. Jess wants to visit the Hollywood sign and the walk of Stars and I want to visit alcatraz. We both fancy a trip to the grand canyon as well. Oh and the small matter of the wedding. lol

The plan is to have our relatives meet us in Vegas and they are able to do there own thing after. My parents are considering driving route 66 as they have already been to Vegas.

Anyway, it's very exciting but very daunting as well.

We've had a rough quote from Virgin (which I am very pleased with actually).

Is it difficul to book this kind of trip DIY, as it seems a step up in terms of planning against somewhere like Orlando?

7. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

How very exciting!!! A new adventure to follow!!! Woohoo!! :bounce: :bounce:

:thud: Yes, that very small matter of the WEDDING!!! :mental: :mental:

Oreo likes this.
  8. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

Sounds wonderful, congratulations! I did a West coast trip, coupled with an East coast trip in 2013 - it was great fun. Did a lot of your itinerary - Disneyland, Universal, Hollywood, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, San Francisco etc.

Don't be put off by the complexity, it's every bit as easy as Orlando is... everything apart from the traffic.

Save yourself some time - get one of those 10min Vegas weddings, so you have more time for touring! :D

Seriously, if you need any advice, just ask. :)

Oreo likes this.
  9. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

I did a DIY when we went.

We flew into LA had a few days, did the usual touristy things - we rented a car - and then drove to Vegas, the drive was really nice, the scenery is amazing.

We stayed in Vegas mid week, if you stay Friday to Sunday, you will pay a fortune for hotel accommodation. If I had my time over again I would stay in Caesars Palace it is a gorgeous hotel and you can get some brilliant rates for it. Another hotel which is nice is the Venetian, it is expensive though.

The weekends are chaotic in Vegas, all the locals go for the weekend, hence the big price increase.

As we had the rental car we or should I say Chris drove to the Hoover Dam, it is amazing to see and the scenery on the drive over is amazing. We did this the same day we went to the Grand Canyon.

We desperately wanted to go to the Grand Canyon but didn't want to waste a whole day doing it so what we did was a helicopter tour. We chose a sunrise tour, we got picked up from our hotel in a limo and driven to the airport where we boarded the helicopter. The helicopters went over the Hoover Dam and then into the canyons, we flew along the canyon and then down into it. The company we went with had the rights to land in the Canyon, we then got on a boat and went down the Grand Canyon by river, we had a champagne breakfast and a guide which pointed out different formations and things. After we arrived back at the airport, the limo was waiting to take us back to the hotel. After we'd had a break that was when we decided to go to the Hoover Dam.

If you can afford it I really would recommend the helicopter trip.

When we went to San Francisco, we stayed in an awful hotel that was recommended by Virgin Holidays, I'll have to look and see what it was called. We went to Alcatraz, all I can say is goosebumps and wow. Amazing trip, just make sure you pre-book to guarantee a time and place.

I'll have a think about some other things.

Oreo and sarah like this.
  10. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

So we've settled on a date it seems. 8th June 2016.

8th June is the date we went out for the first time when we first met (aparently). ;)

Jess is really fancying the Chapel of The Flowers in Vegas for the ceromony, which suits me to be honest as i've watched a couple on line and they're 10 minutes at most! :)

Both our parents have said that they are happy to pay for their own trip and have said they will use the trip as there main holiday and go off elsewhere afterwards.

My brother and his gf arn't sure they can afford it however Jess' brother and his gf seem really keen.

So it's seems most (if not all) of the people we want there are going.

We have decided that wherever we end up getting married they must provide a webstreaming of it for people back home.

We have also said we will have a party when we get back for all those who won't be going (and so Jess can wear her dress again) lol.

I suppose one advantage of asking her early was giving us the time to save up for it all :)

Wendy we did hear it was very expensive in Vegas during the weekend so we are going to try and avoid that.

We are thinking flying into San Fran for 2 days, then on to vegas for 4/5 days (flying not driving), then onto LA/California/Disneyland, and because we want to fly back into the same airport back home we were thinking a few nights in New York on the way home.

It seems its going to be just as busy as a Disneyworld holiday! :)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014