1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Live from Disney! we're here!

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by keith, Dec 1, 2013.

1. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

We flew out on Saturday morning from Manchester. Bit of a glitch as the plane we were due to use had a problem and left orlando a few hours late, but they swapped planes and thankfully, we were only delayed 30 mins which was made up during the flight.

We flew upper class this time and I must admit it was amazing. There was a queue at the checkin desk but they whisked us past it and opened up a new desk. They seemed to have all our details ready and so the normal typing of essays that goes on even with online checkin, seemed to be short circuited and we were out of there and up through fast check security. I dont know if Manchester was on a higher alert than usual but there were queues at all the security lines so having fast track did actually help.

Then through to the lounge. We're very used to the Escape lounge being snotty with us because we get access for "free" from the bank. They often say "we're full" even though we know they have a second lounge they can open. So I thought I'd try an experiment this time.... showed the bank access card and immediately a smarmy smile followed by "we're completely full", then gave in the upper class lounge invites. Sigh followed by "yes sir let me show you to our business lounge" which was across the way, same style as the "busy" one and completely empty. Anyway, once in there it was nice enough, bacon and sausage sandwiches were ordered and a variety of drinks consumed.

Soon enough it was time to board. Again upper class very useful in terms of boarding first. Once on and having turned to the left, it was easy to find our seats or perhaps I should say pods. We chose 6a/k which were recommended by Sir Slowhand. They were indeed great. Right in the nose cone of the 747 so no one walking past all the time. The windows were fine to peer out of but they didnt have any storage at all. However, not a problem since there's only 1 seat either side, all the bins were half empty. So that proved to be fine.

Once sat down, we were offered champagne, proper champers not the "sparkling wine" which they point out isnt champagne in premium economy. Also top ups were plentiful :). It's a small cabin and before take off I think we pretty much knew every one else and we'd all decided to take full advantage of the champagne to the extent that the crew dedicated a couple of people to opening bottles and going round topping up. Needless to say, my memory gets fuzzy after this point :lol:

The UC cabin was great. Small, quiet and just exactly how flying should be. As everyone else has said, it makes putting up with anything less very very difficult indeed. Seat very comfortable with plenty of space and of course it folds down flat for sleeping. That's an interesting process in itself. The cabin crew come and press some buttons which unfolds the seat and reveals blankets pillows and such. So by the time they've finished, it really is comfortable and great for sleeping.

For the first time ever the food was "ok->good". I can't go for "great" because the menu had been suddenly changed and the new didnt seem as good as advertised. I had mackerel for started which was SOOOOO tiny I had to try not to giggle but in fairness, it was very tasty and a nice change. Beef fillet had changed to beef stew which was a fairly typical stew. Desserts very nice and the cheese tray/port excellent too. Throughout the meal, the service was restaurant quality. The table was laid, proper cutlery used and options offered and the passengers names used which is a nice touch. I couldn't actually eat all on offer, it was too much and in terms of drinks, at this time I had a couple of glasses of different wines to try, a glass of port, a glass of champagne etc. even I had to admit to being beaten and just gave up and went to sleep.

Flash forward to America.... landed slightly ahead of time. People warned me immigration queues were bad now, 3/4hrs, well not yesterday, it was completely empty and we were through in 10mins or less. Bags straight out first on the conveyer so that was immediate. Over to alamo, we'd done the savetime stuff and although it's often debated, we decided to try just going to the garage. They briefly checked and said yep long as we have the bar code we didnt need to go to the desk and directed us to the row of cars. We'd chosen an SUV this time but after going through the options DW, who enjoys driving in the states, liked a ford escape which although not really the same size as we ordered, was new and nice so there we go. It's actually a great car and we're really enjoying it, especially like the sirius radio.

Out of the garage we had full instructions from Wendy on how to get to the I4 and it was perfect. (basically comes down to north exit for as long as we could, followed by exit 1b). Through 2 tolls, onto i4 and blam :) all great.

So we had time to do a quick publix stop for fried chicken :D and onto the villa. The kind villa owner had arranged everything for us perfectly and everything was immaculate as it always is. Dumped the cases and headed back out for that 730 ADR at le cellier EPCOT.

Parked at the boardwalk as you all suggested and valet parked. Quick boat ride to EPCOT and to guest services where a very confused CM looked at our uk 21 day ultimate voucher and got totally stuck :) a few mins of explanation and all done, we received two RFID cards one for the annual pass, one for the 21day. These cards are proper plastic like credit cards unlike the rubbish cardboard APs were made off but dont have the expiration dates on, so the CM wrote those on. We also bought tables in wonderland which doesnt do much these days except "pay for the gratuity". It's $100 for AP holders but we'll save way more than that in tips especially since we'll be visiting victoria and alberts later in the trip!

Next to the park! I didnt see any old style park entrance at the international gateway they were all mickey heads with rfid. LOADS of cms helping people and despite having just bought them, all went well and through we went. It seems a LOT faster than the old style!

Le cellier on time for our 730 reservation although not seated until 8pm I was started to doubt we'd be out for our illuminations at 9:30 but still. We had the cheese plate to start with along with the ice wine flight (which turned out to be three rather strong dessert wines). Main course was pepper steak with au poivre sauce for me and rib eye with red vine reduction for DW. I'd have to say although nice, mine was total pepper overload. If I was on a snobby cooking programme I'd have to say that the flavours were clumsily overdone rather than being subtly applied. DW's was really nice though, the sauce a perfect companion to the very sizeable steak. LE Cellier was as ever packed and apparently still booked up 6 months in advance. It's another dining plan casualty in my books having believed its own PR and thinking it's the very pinnacle of fine dining which it sure isn't ;-) but still, it's a nice, if expensive, steak meal at the parks. For the two of us, with a couple of cokes and the small wine flight for one, it came to $145 as ever, you can get SIGNIFICANTLY more and better offsite but par for the course for Disney.

A nice walk outside and illuminations was just about to start so we took our spot and watches. Wonderful as ever and because it's christmas time, we had the extra five minutes of "peace on earth" which, if you've never seen it, is amazing and they seem to fire off more fireworks in those special five minutes than the other twenty!

Back to the boardwalk on the boat, and then back to the villa to sleep having been mostly awake for 24 hrs at that point :lol:

So everything worked out really well and I do think the upper class experience, whilst not worth the thousands they charge if you don't use miles, is great. Certainly easier to arrive somewhat relaxed when traveling that way.

Today we plan to chill a little. Maybe a mall later or a quick shop somewhere but no huge plans :)

2. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

*SIGH* Sounds lovely so far!!!! Glad to hear you made your reservation!

3. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Serious Forum Regular

Ah the nose cone.... it really is a nice experience isn't it :D Well it all went swimmingly for you! Cool!

4. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Well I'm at MK right now if you want to stalk me :)

Beccaberry likes this.
  5. keith

already stalked you last night at the beach club on the way back from EPCOT :D so that's one holiday activity checked off

Johnie likes this.
  6. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Haha, you are very good sir!

7. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

I had to snap myself out of 'dreamworld' after reading that - I'm not quite ready to return to reality just yet!

Have a wonderful time and keep the posts coming, if they're anything like this one, they'll be a great read.

8. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

Love that lounge story! Pleased you made the ADR!

9. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

I love the Mickey head ticket reader things. Especially because my mum kept breaking them. :lol: She has a bent index finger due to arthritis and the scanner could never read her finger properly. Needed the "special" CM with the laptop to sort her out every time.

10. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

you have the luck of the irish with immigration! and Le Cellier... $145 for 2...wow!

11. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

What a fantastic start to your trip Keith.
    My biggest mistake was to fly UC a few years ago thanks to Mr Branson and his FC programme, but once you`ve done it then there`s no way that you want to turn right again on boarding the plane. :lol: [That said, I would never pay top dollar for the privilige as the cost is sky high!]
    It`s great to hear that your villa was up to expectations and that you managed to make your ADR at Le Cellier, even though off site you could have had [if I dare say it] a better meal at a fraction of the cost. Nevertheless you made up for it by Illuminations after dinner to get you into the Disney spirit, so maybe the cost pales into insignificance.
    A great ploy with the lounge at Manchester BTW, I must try that on our imminent trip. :thumbsup:

Beccaberry likes this.
  12. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

Wonderful start!!

The flight sounds really good :)

13. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Thank you for letting us know you arrived safely. :hug2: I hope you enjoy every second!!!!

14. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

What a brilliant start to your holiday!

15. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Serious Forum Regular

Disgusting about the lounge though.... I would be complaining.

16. piglet

piglet Serious Forum Regular

We fly out in April UC and your description sounds so exciting we're really looking forward to it. Only travelled back UC before and slept most of the way so didn't get the full experience. Can't wait to go now

17. keith

yeah sigh :( they definitely have an attitude that the airport lounge schemes are less worthy than any other form of payment. I did have a minor, friendly, moan at them and they just said that the bank/lounge schemes are a discounted fee and they're only allowed to let people in if they have space available in the primary lounge. They can't open up more space or send them to the business part etc. I tried to say well if you dont want the business you should really just be up front and not enroll in the scheme to which one lady said yes we'd love not to take them at all. Sigh, way to miss the point.

18. keith

oh you're in for a total treat :yes: I know I'm not saying anything new at all but it's really the only way to fly.

Economy is awful these days IMHO. It's something to be tolerated for 9 hours and nothing more. That's "ok" when the prices were low but as the price goes up every year it starts feeling really bad. Premium Economy is just economy with some more leg room for double the price of economy. It's not until you get to upper class that you start to REALLY feel the difference.

Remember too that we flew from Manchester which is the worst place to do UC from because it's a third party rubbishy lounge v london which has a far better Virgin one.

The only problem with it is, unless money is completely no object, it's too expensive to consider paying out of pocket for in my opinion. Everything you get is great but it's not tangible enough for me to want to pay 3k a seat or more. So it comes down to having the miles.

19. Slowhand

....and also to fit in with the few dates when reward seats are available. :toetap:

20. Slowhand

Hey Keith, did you know that the VA cabin crew refer to seats 6A & K as the "honeymoon seats?
    Apparently it is because couples occupying those places can play "footsie" when the seats are arranged as beds.

Beccaberry likes this.