1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Live from Disney! we're here!

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Keith, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

So nice to be in EPCOT before the masses descend! Thank you for the photos! (And I'm not tellin' where you are)! :D (Ummmm... cause I don't know). :redface:
    Britchick likes this.
  2. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Serious Forum Regular

Looks Haunted Mansiony? But it can't be because this lot here would have got it waaaaay before me.
  3. Keith

Keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

yeah I thought the same when I saw it! but no, it's actually in EPCOT if that helps :) and it's in a lift......
  4. Keith

So yesterday we got up early to be at EPCOT for 8:30 for our Undiscovered Future world tour! I was really looking forward to this one, EPCOT being my favourite park.

EPCOT didn't actually open until 9, so we had to report to a CM by the gates who checked our names against a list and then let us in past all the people muttering how come they can go in. It was a little weird wandering through with so many people watching us but nice to see EPCOT without people :D

Once in guest services we were given a name badge and a battery pack+headset so we could hear our guide even if we were in busy areas. It worked really well!

Our guide started by explaining Walt's original plans for EPCOT which I think most of us already know but interesting details such as Walt wanted the latest technology everywhere and you wouldnt own it yourself. Basically you could go to work in the morning come back home and your tv, washing machine would all have been updated to the latest models whilst you were out. Apparently only people who worked or were in school would be able to live there (not sure what happened to everyone else!). It was a very interesting view on things that's for sure. Apparently Walt had no original intention for a magic kingdom but was told in no uncertain terms that he needed a "disneyland" in florida to be able to pay for his EPCOT plans.

I wont go through every bit of the tour in case people want to go but it was really informative and as we walked around, it was amazing how much we'd missed. The original epcot logo looked like a clover and there's a large one outside mousegear by the fountain which apparently WAS the exact centre of Disney property in Florida although they've since bought more which has changed where the centre would be.

I wish I could've recorded the day actually because there was just too much information to take in and remember.

We got to touch a tile from spaceship earth and see how the clever guttering directs rain away from the guests and down through its legs and away.

We also went in several VIP lounges made for the companies that sponsor some of the rides and shows including some old now unused ones which still look pretty amazing!

The highlight for many people was a VIP entrance to SOARIN. We were taken back stage and shown how they transport celebrities around and get them into rides without them being mobbed. We were ushered onto soarin this way and, although I hate the thing :lol:, everyone else loved the experience and said that bit was worth the cost of the tour on its own.

All in all it was a really well done tour and so much information! The only thing I would say is, it's EXTREMELY tiring. ok, I'm not exactly an athlete ;-) but it's four hours of solid walking with very few breaks. A few of our tour bailed out along the way saying they just couldn't do it and I must admit that by the end, I was more than ready to just collapse on a chair somewhere.

We came back onstage in China where we said goodbye to Dustin the tour guide and were given a brand new style pin as well as VIP fireworks viewing for a night of our choice.

Since we were there, we had lunch at Nine Dragons who gave us a discount because we'd been on the tour.

All in all a lovely day at EPCOT but wow, it was a hot and tiring day
  5. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

That seems like a great behind the scenes tour Keith.
    We did one a few years ago which took us around the backstage of Epcot, although this one was based on the Christmas decorations [can`t recall the name of the tour], but I know what you mean about walking around WDW`s largest park with no rest beaks.
  6. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

I've don the Keys to the Kingdom at MK, but always wanted to do the Epcot tour.

Thanks to your post, I'll make sure I book it next time I'm there.
  7. Britchick

Britchick Forum Host Forum Host

that sounds amazing! I loved keys to the kingdom and i love Epcot as much as MK
  8. Keith

It was really good and very much a companion to keys to the kingdom. My fave tour is till backstage magic though :)
  9. Britchick

is that the one that does all the parks?
  10. Tink

I've always felt that we should start doing the tours. We've done the two Segway ones (thank heaven, since those are no longer) and the Land one (something about seeds). Enjoyed both of them. We really should do EPCOT!

I wonder if I could withstand the pace? :unsure:
  11. Keith

it is! and it's changed in the last few years to include the animal kingdom. It's a really good one, you're bused around on a coach so there's a lot less walking and you see a lot more as well. I loved seeing the central workshops and behind the scenes with the ride computers etc.
    Britchick likes this.
  12. Keith

It's definitely a fast pace but tbh if I made it I doubt you'd have a problem.. the car park to the entrance is what I'd previously considered to be a long walk :lol:
  13. Tink

I dunno... :unsure: I'm old, ya' know. :D
  14. Britchick

is it about the same walking as keys to the kingdom?
  15. Keith

I felt it was more walking Kttk was fast but more pausing and more rides were done. Epcot was longer walking around with less stops
  16. Britchick

I guess that would make sense baring in mind the size of the park
  17. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

So it's no good for me then :lol:
  18. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Soundalike an amazing tour. I don't think I could handle 4 hours with few breaks and not being able to sit. We were at EPCOT all day the other day and did Behind the Seeds. By the end of the day both Donna were totally exhausted. Could it have been done by someone in an ECV or do you have to be totally mobile?
  19. Keith

There was a guy in an ECV and he was able to do it no problem
  20. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

Loved this review...had just seen it suggested in our welcome book and couldn't recall what it was...this may be one for Jon and I...I think he would LOVE it.