1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

We're here!

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by keith, Jun 1, 2009.

1. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Greetings from sunny Orlando :wave:

Arrived here yesterday after a lonnnng flight to wonderful weather and it's great to be back :)

Flight reservations were hairy, virgin made a load of changes, wrongly, to our reservation which meant we couldnt checkin online and even the airport checkin terminals didnt work. In the end we managed to get a decent upgrade so all's well that ends well but we got there so early that it made for a very long day!

We looked out for Dave and Liz who should have been on the same flight but didn't notice them.

The flight went well and a couple of good movies. Bride wars was funny hehe and Milk was an interesting watch. Food rubbish but we always take our own nowadays so no problem there.

This was our first experience of Disney Magical Express without the booklet or luggage tags since they no longer send these out to UK folks :( We debated carrying the bags aboard but just couldnt face it so we decided to try and get DME to collect them for us like they used to. It worked perfectly, much to my surprise! We just let them scan our luggage checkin bar codes and that was it, we were on our way. Luggage was delivered to the room whilst we were out. I'd be happy to do it again and relieved that the lack of DME booklet was no problem :yes:

We booked into Port Orleans French Quarter this time. Contemporary and AKL last time and Wilderness lodge hopefully in October so we felt like a change.

We'd already done Disneys online resort checkin and so when we arrived we headed straight to the online checkin pickup point where we received all the folders of welcome information as usual without any of the usual checkin stuff. It worked great and though it only saves a few minutes, I'd do it next time.

POFQ is as beautiful as ever. Quiet, homely, small and really pretty. We're in a room overlooking the river so we can see the boats to and from downtown disney. The food court seems to have more variety than some others although the shop isn't one of the largest I've seen.

We had reservations at the Liberty Tree Tavern last night for dinner so we had a nice walk to the bus and a shortish 10mins to the park. When we got there we discovered that the resort hadnt added our ultimate park hoppers to the room keys as they should have done. No matter, I had an annual pass anyway and DW had a spare 1 day card from a previous trip so we used those for now and we'll get the hoppers added (we only got them because they were part of a bundle deal)

Liberty tree tavern was great. I always enjoy the food there, it's somehow more normal and nice than all the burger options. This time it tasted even better than normal! Salad to start (yeuck) then beef, turkey, ham with stuffing, wonderful gravy, mac&cheese (yeuck), mash potato, beans and more. We kept the server busy given we hadn't eaten much on the flight and it was thoroughly enjoyed! Apple cobbler with honey ice cream (something like that anyway). This was our first time at LTT since they've removed the characters and to be honest we preferred it. We always felt a little interrupted when the characters kept coming round, nice the first time but then after the fourth time we felt a little ARGH :lol: so we felt it was a better dining experience this time around (there's a rumour the characters are coming back but our server was unable to confirm).

After that it was outside for the wishes fireworks. We have plans to watch it properly later in the holiday so this time we just lazed outside and ended up watching them from outside Mickey's philharmagic. Although you can't get the true story from there, you have to see it from main street in my opinion to see the full effect, we were amazed at how good it was from our location. The fireworks came from either side and totally lit up our view of the sky! We were absolutely immersed in fireworks and it was a great experience.

After that it was Extra Magic Hours till 1am at the magic kingdom so we did all the usuals, Haunted Mansion, buzz lightyear's ranger spin etc. before tiredly finding the bus back to our resort.

Off to the Florida Mall today I think and then the Hoop Dee Doo Musical Revue later this evening :yes:

Absolutely great to be here and even more special since I'm here during the Disney Secrets first birthday celebrations Happy Birthday forum :D

Wish you were all here, see you all soon :wave:
  2. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

WOW, it seems like you`ve had an action packed start to your holiday Keith.....glad to hear that you arrived safe and sound. :thumbsup:

Erm..this isn`t your one and only TR is it? :lol:

Have fun you two, it`s a pity we`re not there at the same time :wave:
  3. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

What an amazing first day!!!!! :)

I am sure you will have an amazing trip Keith!

Have LOTS of fun :)

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Secrets! :)
  4. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

fantastic start to your trip :yes:
    Enjoy carrying those bags after your DW has been shopping keith :purses:

Do the CM's at Hoop Dee Doo recognise you both by now? I can just imagine you sitting there playing your washboard! :lol:
    Enjoy the rest of your trip. :hug2:
  5. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

It's lovely to 'talk' to someone who is actually there! :mental:

Glad you enjoyed LTT - we are booked for there in August as it is one of our favs - with or without the characters (although I am sure Disney have reduced the price now the characters are no longer in attendance :wink: - yeah right! :lol:)

Have a fab time at the Hoop de Doo - we are going there again as well ad I am so looking forward to it knowing what to expect and not being so scared about being picked on like last time :lol:
  6. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

:WOW: Sounds like you guys are already having a WONDERFUL trip...my mouth was watering at the thought of LTT...it is truly one of my favorite places to eat "Thanksgiving" year round.

Have an AMAZING trip!!!

Can't wait to read more *live* reports!
  7. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

Have fun!!! Wish I was there. :D
  8. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Glad you're there and having a great time, Keith! :yes:

Pop on up river and say hello to my old pal Yeehaw Bob at POR. Tell them to warm up my room, i'll be along in September! :thumbsup:

Tom:)macwave:... yeah, it's true, I can't wait!)
  9. keith

yep sigh, I've been warned today we may need two taxis back to the resort

They do yes :yes: but they're very nice to us and they all know we don't like to be picked on. It's a bit of a running joke, if they notice we've booked, they always book us on the table for two first row centre stage which of course is a fantastic table but also my worst nightmare :lol: but they're very careful to stay within my comfort zone on the interaction :lol: of course the problems come when they're really nice and make sure we have the "best table" and then different/new actors are rotated to the night we're on :lol: then I really do spend the evening cowering under the table pretending to look for something I've dropped :lol:
  10. keith

Will definitely be saying hi to Piano bob and of course to Elliot Dyson "Mr.Jazz" at the Scat cats lounge :yes:
  11. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

YEAH! Excellent trip report!

I'm glad we've got some firsthand knowledge abotu LTT.....they never called me back.
  12. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

We had that exact table the one and only time we went. DH played a washboard :lol: The only thing that happened to me was one of the CM's told me I had spinach stuck in my teeth! :unsure: :lol:
  13. keith

Oh we've been made to stand up and dance (my chair literally pulled out and me hauled up :lol: so very little say in the matter), we've had the whole "oooo you didnt tell me you were coming tonight, let me sit in your lap, hey who's that? you didnt tell me you were married?" thing :lol: and much more besides. I'm a nervous wreck now :lol:

I actually prefer the tables for two off to each side but the one time I asked, they all seemed a little upset that I didn't want the usual table. I guess for people who are on stage, it must seem weird that someone can be so shy :lol:

Anyway it's a wonderful show wherever you sit :yes:
  14. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I guess I'd better check the boards before I send PMs! LOL.

Good to know you got in safe and that the flight went well after the early on concerns.

It's great weather in some ways. I'm sure you are melting though. :hug2: With all the standing water and the high temperatures, it's a sauna out there! (A steam sauna, I mean).

Enjoy Florida Mall! I haven't been there in ages, ever since they closed the shop with the Dickens Villages. :(

Take care now and thanks for a great trip report. I sure hope this means we can look for one every day! :D
  15. daveann

daveann Addicted to Mickey

made me cry reading this as soon i will be staying there and marrying my prince charming :) feeling all soppy now :)
  16. Tink

Wanna' tissue? :hug2:
  17. daveann

daveann Addicted to Mickey

im a mess this evening :( had a really stressful day and just reading the boards is making my cry like a baby
  18. Tink

Awwww! :hug2: You'll be here marrying the love of your life soon. Hang on to that. :hug2: Don't let what/whomever is bothering you get you down. You have a wonderful home, a wedding coming up and loads of friends here. FFFFFFFFFT! to anything that tries to interfere with that! :hug2:
  19. Disneybumble

Disneybumble The Secret is in the Sauce.

KEITH not to worry you but Hellys back.
  20. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

blimey what a start, sounds real good....looking forward to the rest!!

now i dont think you should have said that siobhan :lol: