1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

We're here!

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by keith, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Tinker

Tinker Earning my ears

YaY, a live trip report . The best kind . My mouth was watering just having you describe your meal at LTT . I can't wait to eat there in October . Our friends and us are going for MNSSHP, dressed up .
    Sounds like you are having a wonderful time, Keith . Keep the reports coming .
    Becca ~ you will LoVe Port Orleans, either side is nice .

2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Disney Hollywood Studios all day yesterday. We had early reservations at hollywood and vine for the fantasmic dinner package. In the end we were especially glad that we did the package since now fantasmic is down to three nights a week, it was really really busy.

We never find H&V to be a great buffet but since the last few meals at the brown derby have been a bit lacking, we thought we'd just do the cheapy buffet this time.

It turned out to be nicer than usual in fact. Very nice selection, very nice beef/turkey and salmon. We supplemented it with a few cocktails which may have helped :D

We then walked round doing all the usuals, great movie ride, animation tour because we love the drawing class etc. All until, it happened, the moment I was dreading, DW noticed the American idol experience.

Now DW watches them all, american idol, pop idol, britains got talent. You name it. Let's just say that they're not really my thing :lol: a few minutes later and we were in the studio.

We were both impressed with the stage and all the lighting, it was really well done. The auditions had been done earlier in the day and three people chosen to sing. The presenter was really good as well and soon the three victims were onstage doing their bits.

Each of them were excellent and the judges made comments much like their real show counterparts. Simon Cowell one was funny :lol: coming out with comments like "you'll get a great job somewhere.... as a CAR ALARM! AWFUL!" hehe

Anyway it was soon time to vote which is done via a small keypad on the arm rest. One of the victims was chosen and went through to the final show of the day and the competition for the grand prize of a gold front of line ticket for a real world american idol show.

Walking out of the studio I thought wow there we go, I survived :) right until I saw DW heading back into line! ERMMMMM ???????? "well we have to queue now for the final" she says. I suspect you could hear my scream for many miles :lol:

The final had seven candidates in and although the same format as the earlier shows, it was all much more hyped and exciting. In fact I'd say if you only see one show, try and hang on for the final show of the day.

All in all, despite not being into that kind of show, I was suitably impressed with this addition to the park :yes: All the singers were amazing in my opinion! Better than many "professionals".

Fantasmic was great as always. We had trouble finding the secret entrance for the fantasmic dinner package as its now been rolled into the same normal entrance that everyone uses. So we walked up there with everyone else and at the arena itself they have a special area and a CM directing people with dinner package tickets into it. We got there an hour early and it was already pretty full.

Off out to Winter Garden Village today for a while I think then EPCOT later :D

3. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

Thanks for the live trippie....I'm loving them :yes:

Oh, I'm going to love the American Idol Experience :D Do they have fastpass tickets for it Keith?

4. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

Im glad you enjoyed American Idol :)

So sad that Fantasmic is down to 3 nights... I think its the best fireworks show...

5. Isafari

I hope it stays at three nights!!! It was down to two when we were there in January and the crowds were horendous.

6. Deb

Deb Serious Forum Regular

Loving the reports! Glad you're having such a wonderful time!!!! Keep 'em coming!!! :yes:

7. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Oh no! American Idol? :eek: You are a better man than me, Gunga Din! :D :D :lipwobble:

Nice that you ended up enjoying it though. :yes:

8. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

i'd rather have a gold fastpass to be used forever in the disney parks than the prize offered lol.

Sounds like you're having a great time,may have to try the buffet there.

9. Tink

We've not done Fantasmic in ten years! :eek: Perhaps, if we can ever get Seth and his Da coordinated, we can do the dinner package and the show. I've heard good and not so good about Hollywood and Vine, but have always wanted to try there.

Do they have mixed greens for making your own salad from the buffet, Keith? And some lean protein? (Chicken or fish, or tenderloin)?

10. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Tink, we've done H&V a couple of times with grand kids. The buffet is nice. Yes it does have chicken and fish on it, or at least it did when we were there. Seth would have fun making his own sundae dessert.

11. Tink

Oh good heavens! Make his own sundae? :eek: I can only imagine! :lol: We'll have to look into it. :yes: Thanks, John!

12. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

Wow! A great start to your holiday, Keith!

BTW, you'll find the Mickey head Rice Krispies treats at all of the resort food courts and many of the shops. Leu always swears the WDW ones taste better than the Disneyland ones! Doesn't make sense to me--they probably use the same recipe! :unsure: But she's the foodie, so I'll take her word for it! :lol:

13. Tinkfan

Tinkfan Earning my ears

:nono:Stop making me wish for mickey rice Krispy treats!!!! I still have 3 months to go!!! LOL

14. keith

Still here & having a great time :yes:

We had a couple of days with afternoon showers over the weekend but otherwise we've had great weather.

So many great times. We went to a great mall at Winter Garden thanks to a Tink recommendation. It was off the normal tourist routes and everyone was SO nice to us there. We had a great meal at Chicago Uno Grill and I mean REALLY great. Service and food wonderful and price was good too. Gave more expensive places a real kick.

Planet hollywood late night meal after cinema. Good use of the Disney UK $15 off planet hollywood voucher there :lol:

Going to Morton's this evening for a hopefully nice dinner :yes:

15. keith

Well back from Morton's. Hmmmm

After trying Charley's, Ruth's Chris and Mortons, I'm not convinced that Mortons and Ruth's Chris are really worth the extra. When I walked into Mortons I had a memory flash of recognition and think I may have been to one in Washington many years ago. I think I liked the Washington one a lot but the Orlando one was a bit lacking. Main dining room, nothing really noteworthy other than the prices. Server not very attentive, wine glass/water glasses not topped up for ages, coke refills not brought, sauces forgotten. Overall, not too impressed really.

Charleys seems a much better deal but I want to try Mannys chop house and some others as well.

Shame about Morton's. I like to think I'm a total snob when afforded the opportunity but it just didn't do it for me.

We did find a passable Chinese buffet! At crossroads, Dragon Court. Everything kept hot, a really good selection of food and good service. Stupidly cheap to be honest and the surroundings are going to win any awards, certainly pf changs beats it soundly for quality of decor. However the food itself was great really! Not as good as a good UK chinese restaurant but the best I've found in Orlando.

16. Isafari

Dragon Court.....will have to remember that one :yes:
    A friend has often said for us to try Uno's and we've never got around to it yet.....maybe this next trip. I'll look up the addresses for both of them and put them on my list. :thumbsup:

Pleased your still having a great visit :hug2:

17. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Nice to hear that you are eating your way through Orlando Keith.:lol:
    Carry on having a great vacation. :wave:

18. Tink

Awww! I'm sorry Morton's wasn't up to snuff. :( Not a very good show for them, given their location and these economic times. Would have preferred that they gave you the best service and quality of food that they have become known for!

Thanks for the update on them though. We've not been in awhile and if that's what they've sunk to, we'll not be in a much longer while!

So! Decent you say? Chinese you say? Well...whadda ya' know about that?! :D

Good that you enjoyed your foray out of tourist land and into the local scene. :yes:

19. daveann

daveann Addicted to Mickey

its so nice to read live trip reports :)

20. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Peace, Love and Mickey Mouse

It's really interesting to read about offsite dining places. :thumbsup: