1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

What 5 things do you consider a must

Discussion in 'General' started by jg22524, Jan 6, 2009.

1. jg22524

jg22524 Earning my ears

Hi,

As a first timer to WDW what 5 things would you consider a must whilst there? I ask as we are trying to sort out what are the best things to go see/visit/best dining experience etc. I know that the Magic Kingdom etc have to be done but I was looking for top tips, rides or attractions. Any help grateful received and if you have more than 5 then feel free to list them!

Thanks,

Jo.

2. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

I would attempt to get a reservation for the buffet at Chef Mickey's for breakfast. It's such a disney experience.

Definitely watch Wishes and Fantasmic (my personal favorite).

Enjoy the countries in Epcot.

3. jg22524

jg22524 Earning my ears

Thanks foreverducky, I will google Chef Mickey's and see if you can book in advance.

4. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

ooooooo so so so many possible answers :yes:

My very favourite thing is to go and grab a glass of champagne from one of the countries around the EPCOT world showcase and watch illuminations. It's a simple thing but truly memorable.

Go see the Wishes fireworks at the magic kingdom of course and watch them from the station at the end of main street if you can. Truly wonderful view

California grill at the contemporary for a truly awesome dining experience and watch the fireworks from your table or the viewing area if not. It's a very different view than from ground level.

Hood dee doo revue at fort wilderness for a foot stomping, laugh till you cry, dinner show

oh I could go on all night

5. jg22524

jg22524 Earning my ears

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the suggestions!!! Looks like this question will pull out some real gems.

Cheers,

Jo.

6. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

rides

big thunder mountain

haunted mansion

buzz lightyears space ranger spin

peter pan

tomorrow land transit authority!

7. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Oh gosh. This is impossible, but let's see.

EPCOT:
    Five places to eat: Marrakesh, Bistro de Paris, Le Cellier, Sunshine Seasons Food Fair, Sommerfest
    Five things to do: Spaceship Earth, Mission Space, Soarin', Test Track, Maelstrom
    Five things to listen to: The Japanese Drummers, Off Kilter, Mo' Rockin', British Invasion, Norway's band, ok 6- Mariache Cobre
    Five things to see: The chrysalis box in the UK, the film in France, the film in China, the act in France, the butterfly garden in FW
    Five snacks to have: Anything from the French bakery, nearly anything from the Norwegian bakery, anything from Fountainview Cafe, Popcorn, but only if it's fresh, soft pretzel from Germany
    Five cold treats: Mickey bar, itzakadoozie, iced mocha latte, chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwich, gelato
    Five drinks: No brainer, there are 11 countries to choose from and each has a specialty. :D There are several types of sake on offer at Japan in the back of the huge shop there. This is often overlooked... :D

Oh, did you mean all the parks or just my beloved EPCOT? :D :D :D

8. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

1. Don't try and do it all - you won't be able to you will be exhauted trying and you won't have a good time as a result. The success of your holiday will not be judged by how many rides and things you can squeeze in.
    2. Take time each day to sit and watch the world go by, Disney trips are exhausting - also plana couple of 'rest days'
    3. I personally don't like to over plan - some people go with a ridgid itinery - Have a few days planned but go with the flow
    4. Buy a guide or use this site to choose 3-4 things that each of you definitely wants to do and make sure you see them
    5.The firework dhows in each of the 3 parks that do them are pure magic and each is very different from the other - for me 'Wishes' just is Disney

I know thats not maybe what you wanted :unsure:

9. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Any restaurant at WDW can be booked 90 days in advance right now.

10. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

Oops! Uscwest already answered this one! :)

Tink, Fountainview Cafe is no more. I think it's an ice cream shop now. It wasn't open in March, 2007 and I didn't pay attention in December, 2007--pain does strange things to me! :lol:

11. BigThunder

BigThunder a cool thingy

My 5 Must Do/See/Eat Things:

Magic Kingdom & early on. Don't wait & do it days into your trip, do it the first day because no other park gives me that magic feeling like MK does.

Biergarten in Germany at EPCOT. Very nice buffet, very atmospheric & a nice selection of food for even the pickiest of eaters (like me). Try to do it during the show tho, that's what makes it!

Splash Mountain. It's the one ride that just makes me feel all sprinkled in pixie dust, even if the drop is scary!

Visiting certain Resorts. We call it Resort Hopping & we love it! The Beach Club, for instance, even if we aren't staying there that trip we have to go visit (& usually eat at) & walk around the grounds & stuff.

Swimming. All the pools are so well themed at the Disney resorts. Take the time to enjoy the pool at least a couple hours one day. It's a nice break.

12. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

It's still called fountain view. They have Edy's ice cream and other treats, still. :yes: The banner announcing the ice cream makes it appear that the place has been renamed, but it's not really. :)

13. jg22524

jg22524 Earning my ears

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, you are all a really helpful and friendly bunch :thumbsup:. I know it's an impossible question but it great to get a feel of what everyone enjoyed and what makes it magical. My head is spinning with all the things we could do so everyone's contributions are really helpful. I know that we won't be able to do a fraction of what there is on offer but we want to try make the most it without dying from exhaustion! Also I'm hoping that there may be a few ideas that may only be known to those that are experienced in WDW. So a big thank you to you all for taking the time to share your thoughts.

14. BigThunder

BigThunder a cool thingy

OH jg, hope you have a wonderful time (no doubt you will!) but as someone else mentioned, don't try to overdo it or you will burn yourself out & probably not have as good a time as you hoped...this happened to us on our first visit.

Also, not sure where you are staying but if it's a resort that shows the Electric Water pageant do take time to watch it. It's cute.

15. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

this is a great thread!!

I would say...

1. Fantasmic
    2. Rock and Roller Coaster
    3. Ride the Monorail, even if you CAN take a bus, or hire a car or whatever, ride it, just for fun!!!
    4. Margaritas at the Mexico pavillion in Epcot
    5. At least one NICE seat down meal... anywhere you like, but there are so many excellent restaurants, great food and ambiance, that you cant not do it... andits a great opportunity to relax, enjoy and rest!

16. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

Awesome question!!!

I guess my answer would depend on one very important thing...if you have children, will you be bringing them with you? I think my "big five" would vary depending on that answer....

I'm guessing by your lovely avatar that you *do* have children?

17. jg22524

jg22524 Earning my ears

Yes we have a son who will have turned 7 years old a few months before we go and he will be coming with us.

18. jg22524

jg22524 Earning my ears

Thanks for all the suggestions. Just over 100 days to go now so are going to start planning out what we intend to do!

19. mumof2

mumof2 Serious Forum Regular

oh yes, get planning!! that time will soon pass and before you know it you'll be on board the 'plane and on your way! :yes:

20. PsychoAlice

PsychoAlice Resident Anarchist

Amen...I could drink them over and over and..oh wait I did..