What a relief!!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by Slowhand, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Slowhand

Slowhand Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Retired
    Finally we managed to blag a deal on UC return seats with Virgin Atlantic for our one and only trip to Florida this year. They told us that we fly out on Nov 13th and return on Dec 3rd, the only downside being that we have to fly back home via Miami. o_O [We always rely on VA to tell us when we can go in order to get the best deal at the time when reward seats are available.]

One problem with this is that having booked the flights, we realised that we will have nowhere to stay when we arrive as our villa is booked out until Nov 15th !
    Ok I thought, I`ll use our DVC points to fund a few nights stay on-site, however I found that at this late stage it was nigh on impossible to make a reservation anywhere on site using our points for more than 2/3 days at a time which would have involved us living out of our suitcases transferring from one place to another.
    The thing is that I have to use our DVC points or I will lose them as some of them were banked from last years allocation.

Then I had a bright idea. :brightidea:Why not try for a cruise?
    In the end it all worked out perfectly.
    We have paid for a 3 night stay at the GF when we arrive, and having spoken to the folks who are staying at our villa, they don`t mind us calling around on the day they leave [Nov 15th] so that we can drop off some of our luggage and collect our "cruise clothes" [my tuxedo and my DW`s posh frocks] which we keep at the villa.
    We check out of the GF on the 16th and then drive to Port Canaveral for our 7 night cruise which I was able to book using our DVC points....phew!!!!
    The cruise is on our favourite DCL ship [the Magic], and although we have done the Western Caribbean cruise before, this one calls into Jamaica which was not on the itinerary on our previous cruises. :wavehands:

So in the end, we dont lose our DVC points, my DW can enjoy a break at our favourite resort [the GF], and we will still have 10 days left after the cruise to chill out at our villa and do our off-site things with an occasional visit to the parks whenever it takes our fancy.

I`ve sure earned some brownie points by sorting this lot out. :yes:

2. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Well-Known Member

Teacher/planetarium director
    Well done! That worked out well! Wow, when you UK folks visit, you do it right I must say. Hey Terry, what stop do you make in Jamaica?

3. Slowhand

Retired
    The thing is Dan that normally we only have to fund our air fares because our accommmodation is usually "free" as we either use our DVC points or we stay at our villa.
    On this basis we can stay for as long as we want at no extra cost as thankfully we both do not have full times jobs to worry about seeing as we both took early retirement when we felt that the time was right.

The Magic stops at Falmouth in Jamaica which I am looking forward to seeing for the first time.

4. Tink

Tink Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Whoa. That is some pickle to work out! Good for you! Sounds like a lovely holiday coming up. :yes:

5. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Well-Known Member

Training and Development Manager
  6. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Well-Known Member

Teacher/planetarium director
    We really liked our short stay in Jamaica a few years back. We went to Ocho Rios and hiked Dunn's River Falls (think that was the name). It was a beautiful stop along our cruise.

I still think about the different patterns for vacations in Europe and the US. We usually get two weeks/year vacation but a great deal of American workers never take the alloted time off. It is a bit of a stink over here and a lot of employers are giving extra incentives to force people to take their alloted time off. There is even a commerical on tv with kids asking what is wrong with you adults...it is a paid vacation..duh...take it. So the commercial for a bank card's concierge service is asking people to take just one more day off.

What a great time for a cruise. Looks like a low year for tropical storms so you should do very well indeed. Have a great time.

7. Wendy

Wendy Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Finally, you arranged something :)

How did you convince Sue about Miami, she was pretty adamant when we were looking at dates and talking about it in August.

Have you booked up those dates that were available for next year yet? You'll lose them if you leave it too long :hug2:

Glad it's all working out for you and that you've managed to book a cruise as well. It might be your only trip but you are making the most of it :) I'm really pleased for you both.

8. sarah

sarah Member

Sounds like a plan has come together :yes:

9. Isafari

Isafari Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Yay...all worked out good in the end. Sounds like you will both have a well deserved, amazing time

10. Slowhand

Retired
    Dunn`River Falls is one of the shore excursions available on our cruise also Dan, although at this stage we haven`t had time to sort out our activities.

Yeah, many of our US friends have said the same thing about their holidays.
    Whereas us Brit`s try to take all of the our holidays that we are entitled to....after all life is too short for us not to enjoy it while we can.
    One of the pleasures of being retired though is that extended holidays are not an issue as we don`t have to worry about coverage at work.

11. Slowhand

Retired
    Do you think that I am a man or a mouse Wendy? [But please don`t tell Sue I said that. :)]

It has taken me so long to organise this latest trip that I haven`t had time to think about 2015 yet! :lol:
    I have now taken a couple of wedding car bookings for early April 2015 though, so I have to be carefull when sorting things out.
    Thanks for the reminder though, I`ll get onto it after I have sorted out the myriad of details for this next trip....car rental, pesky ADR`s, shore excursions, meeting/s with Ricky etc.etc.

12. Wendy

Wendy Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Don't forget to keep checking VA's website for flights flying back in to Manchester. You will be surprised how often they release flights closer to the time. You will have to pay to change but I've always found it to be very reasonable.

If I remember I will try to look every so often for you as well.

13. Slowhand

Retired
    That would be great Wendy as I always run into problems getting up the "rewards calendar" with VA as you know. ;)