What are your MUST DOs at Disney?

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World and Disney Springs' started by keith, Nov 22, 2014.

1. keith

keith Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Home Page:
    I always like this question because I get something new to do :)

I have to do hoop dee doo and the luau. They're my "turn brain off and relax" evenings. Someone recently said they wouldn't waste a disney evening on either and I had to bite my tongue :lol: In fairness, I know what they meant but still.

Le Cellier is expensive and rushed these days but yet we can't resist booking it since it was the highlight of our first Disney trips all those years ago.

Spaceship earth, TTA, carousel of progress, haunted mansion, buzz lightyear... all must dos

2. uscwest

uscwest Well-Known Member

JIKO is our go to on our first night. We have also started trying to make sure we do Olivia's at OKW one day for breakfast and GF Cafe on our departure day for breakfast. If we have grandkids then Hoop Dee Doo takes the place of JIKO on that first night.

As for the parks, MK - Haunted Mansion and TTA are must do's. At DHS TSM for both and TOT for me. At EPCOT - Test Track and Soarin' and at AK - Kilimanjaro Safari and walking the Pangani and Maharajah Jungle Trek trails.

3. Isafari

Isafari Well-Known Member

For me it is the parades and shows over the rides

4. Deb

Deb Active Member

On our first full day we have breakfast at Chef Mickey's at 7am (if you go at that time of day it is fab!), then go to MK for opening, and go to Casey's for an early lunch. We always have a HS morning (preferably early magic morning hours) of doing TOT and RRC a few times, and the same at AK with Expedition Everest. We always sit by the fountain in France (in Epcot of course :) ) with a glass of champagne, and we have to do Spaceship Earth and have a little chat with Judy Dench :)

We have to do Thunder, Splash and Space Mountains, and Soarin'. It is the law.

Keith, we have never done the Hoop de Doo or the Luau. We are the sort of people who don't like sharing tables with other people and don't like to be picked on though we do not mind a bit of corninesss :) We have absolutely no idea of whether to consider going to either or not!

5. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Well-Known Member

Teacher/planetarium director
    For us as well, along with Soarin, the safari, Splash Mountain, Toy Story Mania, okay...we DO love the Osborne's lights (TTFN I guess). Let's see what else, Bug's Life, too many to list..guess we are quite manic in our approach to the parks.

Also, we LOVE to unwind with a nice beverage in the lobby of our resort. AKL was wonderful.

6. keith

Home Page:
    ah well, as you know, me neither.... you don't share tables at either of the luau or hoop dee doo :) there's zero chance of being picked on at the luau, they don't do that, and a staggeringly low chance of being picked on at the hoop dee doo (they pick on one older aged gentleman for a 30 second go and that's it :)

7. Deb

Deb Active Member

Ah that's good to know. I thought as much but I thought you might be just grinning an bearing it ;) So, what is the draw for each? Are they good shows or is it more nostalgia for you?

8. robertcraig

robertcraig Well-Known Member

retired
    Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    So many things
    Dinner at narcoossees
    Epcot for test track
    Funnel cake sleepy hollow
    Downtown Disney
    And just about everything

9. keith

Home Page:
    hmmm interesting question :lol:

Yes there's a nostalgic value to the hoop dee doo for me. You know how there's always some "hot" disney thing that's being talked about, well the very first year I went, everyone told me to do the hoop dee doo. It was a show that had been going for years and was a hidden gem. Since then, it's been a tradition.

More than that, is it a good show. hmmm. I'd say it's better than any of the outside Disney shows, better put together, better food etc. It's corny, funny, corny, did I mention corny? and I've seen better in Vegas, but it's just an enjoyable evening's entertainment. Not going to be life changing ;-) but utterly non-offensive simple pleasure in every way.

The Luau is a little harder. It's in no way authentic, the show itself is quite contrived and struggles with its theme. Sometimes you wish they'd just say "ok theres no story but heres some dancing and music" :lol: but I find it hard to relax and the luau is a total turn brain off, drink and watch. There's absolutely no way to read anything into it or ponder it :lol: there's no picking on the audience. The food is not as good as the hoop, but it's still better than most orlando shows. I enjoy it for the feeling that we've been somewhere, seen a show and dinner was taken care of :yes: