1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

What do I pack to wear in January?

Discussion in 'General' started by Deb, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Deb

Deb Serious Forum Regular

Ok. After being a confirmed "I will never go to WDW in January....I need wall-to-wall sunshine" kind of girl, and now having somehow booked to go in January :unsure: I have decided to embrace the whole experience! :D Now I know there is no hard and fast rule here, and January can be anything from very cold to hot. However, if you have experience of being there at that time of year what would you pack to wear?

I never wear jeans at the parks, but I am guessing a couple of pairs may be needed instead of/as well as capri pants or sundresses? Will I need a big padded coat or will a fleece or woollen cardigan be enough? I like to dress up a couple of times on an evening...will a strappy dress and pashmina or shrug be ok, ir will I stick to longer sleeved things? Or do I just throw everything I own in there and take things one day at a time? :unsure: :D

Any advice will be gratefully received :yes:
  2. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

3. Skywatcher

OK maybe not :lol:

In all honesty its difficult - we make do with the usual t- shirt and shorts but always have at least one pair of jeans and a sweatshirt if it gets nippy, If we are planning on doing illuminations we will pack jeans and a jumper in a bag and put them in a locker at epcot then put them on as night falls so we don't get too chilly

95percent of the days are warm enough for just tshirt and shorts in all the years we have gone and some years it has been high 80's but it does chill off when the sun sets.

It is also one of the driest months of the year there so its a great time to go - just watch out from Presidents day and the marathon
  4. Deb

:laughhard:

Ok. It's on my list :D
  5. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Layers. :yes: Plan on having something to add if it gets chilly. A sundress might be too bare, but a lightweight dress with some sort of sleeve should be fine.

Big winter coat shouldn't be needed, but there really have been times when they were! On the other hand, if you go back to those layers, you won't need one, eh?

Trousers of some sort. Jeans if you like (I don't, but you get the idea) long sleeved shirt/top/maybe turtleneck, short sleeved tops, sweater, maybe a quilted vest? Socks with those comfortable shoes of course, and don't forget the swimsuit! You could easily have time and weather for swimming.

Ieuan goes to Florida often during December and January and I'm sure he can give you some good advice. :yes:
  6. Deb

Thanks Chris and Tink :wave:

Tink, it really does sound like I have to pack a bit of everything....I know that when I'm there I won't really mind too much about the weather - heck, we'll be at Disney, we'll love it anyway! But I am a little nervous right now - I do love the sun warming my bones and I always think of Florida as a place to do that :unsure: When you said to maybe pack a turtleneck my face went like this :jawdrop: :rotfl:
    We are going to keep most days loose on the planning front and if we get a day of decent sun we will be ready to spend a couple of hours relaxing and enjoying it! :yes:
  7. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

It really is a total matter of chance. :yes: It's been warm enough to sunbathe in January, and cold enough to have snowflakes in the air. :yes: It truly is up to luck.

Just remember, what you don't bring and you may need, you can always buy! :D WDW LOVES to sell hugely overpriced caps and gloves to guests. :yes:
  8. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

We usually take a fleece and either leave it in the car for the evenings or put it in a locker if the forecast is for cooler weather.
    We have maybe had to use the fleece/sweater 4 or 5 times in 6 years.
  9. Skywatcher

The sun is always warm :yes: you will definitely feel tat warm glow in your cheeks that we miss for soo many months in the UK. Tinks a Floridian remember, she is used to heat - coming from an icy cold England you will feel like stripping off in the airport :yes:
  10. Skywatcher

We were really worried the first time we went with stories of iced up windows etc, but we loved it so much we went back the following 4 years. whatever anyone says it is a MILE away from being cold!!, and I mean proper cold

I never worse long trousers once the whole 5 years and a sweatshirt only a handful of times

please don't worry
  11. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Temps are definately relative. We went one Feb and about froze to death. Hardier souls were out in the pool!!

I'd pack layers, you never know what your going to get that time of year.
  12. BigThunder

BigThunder a cool thingy

Pack a little of everything honestly. I don't think you will need any heavy duty coats or bulky sweatshirts/sweaters but that depends on how tolerent of the cold you can be because if you plan on late evenings at the park or (God forbid - was the coldest ride of my life!) a boat ride after dark it can get very chilly. The layers idea is a good one. Long sleeve T's or tops are always a good idea I think. Carry a backpack to put a jacket in for the evening in case you aren't going back to your room. Also, you can always, tho I know people hate this, wash some items if needed. If you only pack a couple pairs of jeans & it turns out to be jeans weather you can hit the laundry room if need be.
  13. daveann

daveann Addicted to Mickey

deb you have to bare in mind sun to us brits means shorts lol no seriously we wear shorts and tee's but have a sweater as evening comes in and it gets cooler personally i have never had to wear jeans i have worn crops but never needed full length trousers but you will need a sweater :)
  14. Tinker

Tinker Earning my ears

I was going to suggest layers and a little bit of everything . I'm sure you will have your coat as when you leave , it will be cold . I took my heavy hooded Tinkerbell jacket and I was so glad I had it .
  15. Skywatcher

Put it like this a couple of years ago the local CM's were in full winter coats at Blizzard Beach and we were happily going down waterslides and worrying about sunburn :yes:
  16. BigThunder

BigThunder a cool thingy

hahahaha, yeah, anyone from florida or who has lived there for any length of time has almost zero tolerance for cooler weather (no offence Tink! lol). My sister in law who lives there cracks me up how she freezes & we're wearing shorts & t's & feel just fine. On the other hand, those of us not from a warm area have almost zero tolerance for the heat in Florida(that would be me :overhere:).
  17. minnie-me

minnie-me Earning my ears

I wonder what you have packed now? I think you may need hat, scarf & gloves if the forecast is correct!!!

Bet you will have a great holiday - no matter what the weather.

Have fun xx