1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

What do you do When Waiting in Line for a Ride or Attraction

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World' started by Wendy, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Serious Forum Regular

Wow 75 minutes wait :( See I've never had to wait that long for a ride at DW. The only ride I waited in line for for three hours then left it was the Harry Potter park at Universal... I gave up when 3 hours in we were only half way around the line to get in :( So yep I can see your point. After three hours I'd seen every leaf on every tree we'd passed.

2. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I'm amazed that any phone batteries are lasting that long!

3. BUTTERHEAD1

BUTTERHEAD1 Addicted to Mickey

I live on my phone at work and in my everyday life and often my phone battery dies so recently I bought a portable Duracell charger that I plug into my phone when it gets low and it gives me a couple hours extra on my phone. Before I had the IPhone I had the Droid incredible and I would keep an extra battery or two in my pocket. Last February I paid to have my phone recharged in Universal in one of their stores which I thought was a great idea by US. I have waited on lines for over an hour on both Soarin,Toy Story Mania and Harry Potter (no fast passes available) and the phone came in very handy. I hate waiting on lines and if playing on my phone makes the wait seem quicker then that's what I will do.

4. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I'm with you Butterhead1. My problem with my smart phone at WDW is the signal. I have Verizon as a carrier and sometimes it just doesn't get a good signal.

When it does though, I'm using it to amuse myself when standing on line. Now, the other side of that statement is we rarely stand on line anymore. We'll simply not do the attraction, but we have the freedom to come back later.

If it's a special event and we don't have a choice, then out come the phones!

I see many children with their parents phones (at least I presume those iPhones belong to the parents!) waiting. it seems to be a great way to keep kids amused. :yes:

5. Esmeralda

The whole phone culture irritates me, I see Mums pushing prams with a tot in tow and they're busy texting, the tot is trying to get Mums attention and it's just not happening :( then I see endless people driving with a phone stuck to their ear or they are blatantly looking down and texting while driving :( What happened to talking to your kids?

6. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

Last trip if the lines were say, under 20 mins we'd just soak it in and chat about our day.
    Over 20 mins the mini ipad comes out and I go online to check out what's happening here or check the wait times for other attractions (which were way out last visit - Jungle Cruise said 30 mins but one minute later when we got there it was 50 mins)

7. Tink

Well, that's all a bit different then amusing oneself while standing on line, isn't it? :yes:

8. Esmeralda

Well not really. There is plenty to talk to your children about while standing in line. I think the art of conversing is dying out, I mean seriously dying out. people need to get their faces out of their phones and wake up. One day your child might not be there and then what?

It irritates the heck out of me that people don't have time to even look at their kids nowadays.

9. Johnie

I understand what you are saying Esmerelda. I've been out to dinner with people and they were completely engrossed in their phones. It's rude. I also think its a bit much when I see children with electronics at restaurants. Children need to learn how to behave and act accordingly in public.

That being said, I don't care if people use their phones in line.

10. Esmeralda

True, what they do is none my snout I suppose... just a bit grumpy because I nearly got run down by a cyclist who was texting on his phone instead of looking where he was going. Grrrrrr. I realise that some children need a distraction for whatever reason, but some people just use their phones as babysitters. It's that I have a problem with.

11. BUTTERHEAD1

BUTTERHEAD1 Addicted to Mickey

Driving while texting is extremely dangerous and illegal.
    Using your phone while out to dinner is rude in most cases.
    Using your phone while waiting for a ride at Disney in my opinion is perfectly sensible. I have a 17 year old son and a soon to be 13 daughter who I have a great relationship with, they have no trepidations to speak to me about any topic. I spend almost all of my free time with my kids. To suggest that because I am playing games on my phone while on a line that I am somehow ignoring or neglecting my kids is very judgmental and wrong. Sorry but I had to get that off my chest.

12. Esmeralda

I just don't *get it*, It's Disney World why be playing games on your phone?

13. Johnie

To each their own :)

14. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

This wasn't meant to be a "get at people who use their phones to tect or play games" Esme it was a question of interest. I enjoy using my phone on holiday and at home, it was how I was able to post the photos of the New Fantasyland when the soft opening happened. I don't have children, but I do have the girls I look after and I have used my phone when we have been waiting to go into the cinema. I don't neglect them and I think it is very unfair to tar every parent or carer with the same brush.

It's a good job we aren't all the same and we should respect what other people say or do :D

15. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

hahahahaha.... maybe!

my answer to the original question is: I try to keep my girls from making a scene :rotfl:

So, some ideas:

*stickers... on themselves, and yes, some adults have been decorated in the past too!!... You can find Disney sticker sheet books for about 6.95, and DVC people are always giving them away, and you can also get some at any shop you buy stuff at.. so that usually keeps them busy for a while
    *bubbles.... some lines are long, but people are not packed, so we blow bubbles, it keeps my kids and all the other kids nearby entertained, so other parents dont mind hahaha
    *I see something.... we do it in Spanish so it rhymes, I think in English it goes like I spy?? We do simple stuff... something red, something blue, a hat
    *snacks! wonderful time to give them some water, crakers, cereal, fruit, etc....
    *naps! They both went as 18mo the first time, and at that age, we would pick them up and just cover them with a light blanket and they would nap... yes, they did ride ASLEEP some of "the best" rides :nono:, but it was worth it having happy kids the rest of the day :yes:
    * question game... we do open questions for the whole family... what has been the favorite thing we have done today? (it is also great to check which rides are worth going back on) Which character did you like the most at breakfast? what did it feel like to go on the monoriel? Where do you want to go next? Which princess havent we met yet?, etc....

Last trip we ENJOYED the interactive line at the Pooh ride, Tatiana still remembers the line (the activities she did) whereas she has totally forgotten about the ride, so I think Disney is doing a good job in that department!

And some tips:

*When the park is busy, do try to take out fast passes and do a mix of things like: 1 long line, 1 no line ride (even if you dont think its the best ride), some rest time, going into a shop for a little while, 1 fastpass ride, 1 long line ride, etc.... that way they dont get tired or bored
    *Take them to the toilet BEFORE you get in line, even if they say they dont want to go, they will usually go when they are there!
    *find other kids in line!.. Last trip we had 4 kids so they kept each other busy... so we found out, when the line is 1 hour long, ANOTHER kid is THE BEST entertainment!! they played and played and played and never really got tired or bored, they were too busy being princesses and doctors and puppies and Buzz :)

16. Esmeralda

I wasn't having a pop at anyone, I was just saying what I see. I never mentioned the word neglect. However I have the opinion, rightly or wrongly, but either way it is my opinion, that kids nowadays have it all on a plate and if they are bored while waiting in line, unless they have autism or aspergers etc, then maybe they shouldn't be going so often if it bores them to wait for a treat? What has to happen for them to leave their phones at home?

And yes it is a good job we aren't all the same and that's why we leave the phones behind and enjoy what is on offer there and then. I'm not disrespecting other peoples decisions but I will question them as is my right.

And without questioning I'm not learning why people use thier phones so this is good, I'm being given valid reasons for why so it's all good isn't it?

17. Suebeattie

Suebeattie Addicted to Mickey

Thank you sooo much marie!!! Zac loves bubbles so will definitely be getting some of those.
    He'll have his cousins in the 2nd week to help keep him entertained.
    Thank you for all the tips.

:wiggle:

18. wdwgrandma

wdwgrandma Addicted to Mickey

I love looking for Hidden Mickeys!

19. Tink

Unfortunately, it is not your right to question someone's personal decisions. Having a discussion about something is one thing, but presenting one's own point of view as preferable to another person's, even by implication is not anyone's right. You've made your position clear, and it works for you. Other positions are just as valid and should not be subjected to repeated challenge. Using phones for entertainment is not something you value. That is your right. Questioning those of us who do use our phones for entertainment, when those "questions" come across as judgmental and fault finding, is not your right. Everyone here has their own opinions and their own ways of doing and being. We respect all ways and to suggest otherwise (repeatedly) is not conducive to anything but giving the impression of arguing.

So, when we are exercising individual "rights" remember they also come with responsibilities. Responsibility to respect one another is the priority and something that we do here, regardless of one another's personal opinions.