1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

What do you Remember or Miss at WDW

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World' started by Wendy, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

I've been looking back through my old keepsakes from WDW and I came across the tickets from our first ever trip and it got me thinking about how things have changed over the years.

So I thought it might be nice to remember the good old days :)

• Our first tickets have out photos on them, I remember having to stand at the ticket desk and look at the camera and then the tickets were printed - boy do I look young :lol:

• Soda re-fills - do you remember when you could pay a little extra for a soda and then it would cost about 50 cents for a refill or was it free :unsure:

• World of Motion before Test Track.

• Journey to Imagination before they changed it.

• Getting your hand stamped so you could re-enter a park.

• When the characters would walk around the park and you didn’t have to line up to see them.

• On our first visit I had an autograph book :embarassed: I had my photo taken with Prince John and he walked off with my pen :lol: I was laughing and walked after him so he ran away, when he came back over I had to kiss his hand before I got my book back :lol:

• Another time Jafar came up to me and put someone else’s book on my head to sign it. Oh I miss those days :sigh:

• When the characters were allowed to mess around with you - Pluto spinning me round and dancing with Goofy - happy memories.

• Tapestry of Dreams.

There are so many more, so what do you miss or wish you could bring back.
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  2. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

Re: What do you Remember about WDW that's Not there Anymore

Characters dont interact? This is news to me :sorry:

Well, I do have to say Ill miss Sno White's Scary ride... yes it was scary, but its one of my most vivid WDW memories from the first time I visited

I also miss Body Wars, and all the exhibitions in that pavillion, I think they were dated, but just wonderful
  3. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Re: What do you Remember about WDW that's Not there Anymore

On our first few visits they used to play around more, Chris was held in a headlock by the Queen of Hearts and she was yelling, off with his head :lol: :lol: it's that sort of thing that I haven't seen for a long time :sigh:
  4. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

oh... phew! I can breathe then... I was a bit worried that they would now just pose statuesque like

Not that the girls will actually understand any of the interaction though :laugh:
  5. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

The queen of hearts getting chris is a headlock made me laugh! :lol:

Ive not had alot of experience of disney tbh, we usually only spend a couple of days there out of each 2wk holiday
  6. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

I remember when we were visiting with MIL., We were eating at LTT and Pluto came up behind me and put his mouth on my head.

I miss Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and Tapestry of Dreams.
  7. montymouse

montymouse Imagineer

Oh I remember those photo tickets, our first visit in 1992 (honeymoon) had those and yes - we look so young. Also had time of entry stamped on it - first couple of days very early then got later....

I remember the old living with the seas(?) at Epcot and the Michael Jackson 3D show. Also walking around World showcase in late April 1992 and no one else being there! (Not going to happen this trip - Easter Crowds aagghh!) and sitting wishing that Splash Mountain was finished - had to wait until next time to go on that one!

However, newer rides like Rock & Roller Coaster I absolutely love and it is great how the parks evolve. I just love being at DISNEY

:taunt::taunt::taunt::taunt::taunt:
  8. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

If you mean Captain EO, then that attraction has now re-surfaced at Epcot in place of Honey I Shrunk the Audience.
  9. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Peace, Love and Mickey Mouse

One of the things I miss the most is the wonderful Penny Arcade that was on Main Street. :sigh:

And, of course, Mr Toad!
  10. montymouse

montymouse Imagineer

OOhh thanks, I had heard this was at Disneyland Paris but didn't realise it was at Epcot - will definately visit it in 6 WEEKS!!!

:wave:
    :wave::wiggle:
  11. Missus T

Missus T Imagineer

I went to Disney alot as a kid, and one of my favorite things to do was watch the Kitchen Cabaret. Somewhere, we have a stuffed head of brocolli wearing sunglasses. But I do love the new attractions, too!
  12. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I miss Bella Nova, The Living Statues, Gordoon, the double decker buses in EPCOT, the Junkanoo Bus, the ability to buy something under five dollars in each country (and actually have something to show for it).

I remember when the parks and everything about WDW was pristinely clean. It's clean now, but nothing like it used to be.

I remember when the plastic soda cups had the castle on them. We used to keep them for souvenirs!

Discovery Island. The original one.

Resort rooms at All Stars for about $80 a night and that was rack rate.

Watermelon juice at Mexico.

GOOD food and great service at any WDW restaurant.

Cast Members who laughed and interacted with you every time they saw you. I used to wonder how they got their work done they were so busy being nice to people.

Bus drivers who were some of the best entertainment at WDW!

Riding up front in the Monorail.

The Great Millennium Walk... I loved the Sage of Time.
  13. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

Walk up dining.

And Main St before it became a strip mall.
  14. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Finding different merchandise in different parks and resorts. Things you could only get at that specific location were much more interesting than the mass market merchandise that is all over the place now.

I used to really be lured to Disney by its uniqueness. I "once upon a time" learned much there, new things, new ideas, new tastes.

Met so many wonderful chefs, and learned new techniques for food preparation, cooking, growing...

Learned so much from CMs who were from the countries in which they were working. Now? Not so much...
  15. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Remember or miss? Hmmm...

How 'bout:

• E Ticket rides (and the associated A, B, C, and D rides).
    • The Mad Hatter's Ball
    • The Fort Wilderness Railroad
    • The Dixie Landings Resort name.
    • The Skyway between TomorrowLand and FantasyLand.
    • 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I'll update if I come up with more.

Tom :)macwave:... nostalgia...)
  16. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

17. Faythstar

Faythstar Imagineer

I would love to bring back 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, as my first visit to Disney was after it had been removed. It sounded like a lot of fun.

I miss Liberty Tree Tavern being a character dining experience. It has some of my favorite food in the park, and we always had so much fun with the characters there. I remember on one visit, Chip decided to whisk me away from my family's table and we just skipped around the restaurant together, being silly and having fun.

Not that I would necessarily bring it back (lol), but I remember the cake castle for WDW's 25th anniversary. That was actually my first-ever trip to Disney, and I was in the 4th grade (I think), and I remember my mom being so angry that I didn't get to see the "real" castle!

I really did enjoy Body Wars, and I miss the earlier Journey Into Imagination. It had been quite a while since I'd ridden it, and the last time I did, it all felt different, although I wasn't sure why I didn't enjoy it as much. Then I read about all the refurbs, and it made me remember more of what I loved about it in the first place.

I've also read about how the characters used to randomly show up on rides. I would LOVE to experience this, but I guess they don't do it anymore. :(

And bring back the pet supply store at DTD! I loved that place! I loved the t-shirts with all the Disney dogs, and the one with all the Disney cats. I thought those were adorable.

And I would absolutely bring back the "Villains in Vogue" store in Hollywood Studios. It's technically still there, but it used to be filled with all kinds of wonderful villain merch (which I LOVED), and now it's 100% Nightmare Before Christmas. Nothing against Nightmare, but I need more villains in my life!
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2013