1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

What extra do you get with a preferred room?

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by jojo, May 25, 2011.

1. jojo

jojo Imagineer

We're looking at the disney pages on disney resorts and every one has these preferred rooms for quite a bit more but it doesnt really tell us what we get for the extra money?
  2. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

They normally have better views eg a Castle View at the GF.
    Personally I don`t think it`s worth paying over the odds when you consider how much time you actually spend in your room.
  3. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

What slowhand says may be true for a Deluxe Resort but not necessarily for a value resort. In theory a preferred room puts you closer to the food courts. However, at POP we have stayed in both a preferred and a regular and were MUCH closer in the regular. I can't see paying the extra myself.
  4. gwennie81

gwennie81 Earning my ears

If you're booking directly on Disney's website, I believe there is an explaination for each preferred room. It could be:

water view
    garden view
    castle view
    safari view
    2 Queens, 1 King, and combo of beds
    Etc....

But really, how much time are you going to be spending in the room is the question? If you're going to be spending a majority of your time in the parks, usually the view isn't going to matter much.
  5. WDW Vet

WDW Vet Forum Advertiser

One thing you get is more empty space in your wallet. Back in the day I always requested certain areas of each resort or specific buildings because they were close to buses or main areas. The Disney started charging extra for those areas. But many of these areas are better for older family members or someone with walking or health issues.

As far as specific views at resorts are concerned that has it's own arguments. With moderate resorts you don't get much paying for a water view since it is an exterior corridor hotel. So you can go outside your room and lean on the railing to see the view.

Deluxe properties have some views like Magic Kingdom views that are wonderful but you are paying a premium price. Look at it this way. You work hard all year and you want to treat yourself. You only go around once in life. Do it every trip, maybe not but that special trip, a birthday annniversary or whatever maybe just once. So back home you go out to eat one less time a month for a few months.

Now with deluxe resorts and water views you need to be careful as a water view guarantees you'll see, well...water. You may have a view of 40 feet of water that ends to a bunch of trees. Not much to look at there. Also many rooms don't have a balcony so if you are booking a water view request a room with a balcony. If you are going to pay for a view make sure you will be able to "enjoy" the view.

When the kids were little we always got balconies. That's where we hung out when the kids went to sleep. Courtyard view at the Widerness Lodge was a must. The yacht & Beach Club was always a water view and if I couldn't get a balcony I'd ask for a standard view and a room credit. The Contemporary we had a Magic Kingdom view and enjoyed fireworks and the Electric Light Pageant from our balcony.