1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

What is the best delux resort for toddlers

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by mrtoffee, Nov 29, 2009.

1. mrtoffee

mrtoffee Earning my ears

Hi all, im planning my two little girls it will be there first disney trip and they will be 2 and 4 when we go. I just wanted to pick you guys brains on which is the best delux resort for toddlers.

my wife and i have stayed at akl befor and that seemed like a good place for toddlers we just dont know if any of the other hotels would be a better choice.

Many thanks for the help in advance
  2. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

I don`t think you can go wrong with any of the deluxe resorts if you have toddlers.
    I`m a little biased here seeing as we love the GF so much, however there always seems to be families with small children who stay there.
    The GF has a pool area mainly for children and they even have a shallow splash pool in the main pool area.
    Add onto this the beach and the GF`s close proximity to the MK, it would certainly get my vote in this instance.
  3. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I think the decision would be driven by what interests the children the most. :yes: If they love animals, then AKL would be ideal. If they like to be near the MK, then you have three choices on the monorail.

Wilderness Lodge is a beautiful deluxe resort, but does have the smallest resort rooms for a deluxe.

Our personal favorite is the Beach Club because we love the pool there. :yes:
  4. mrtoffee

mrtoffee Earning my ears

originally we thought akl would be best as we have stayed there before and the eldist loves animals as well as mini mouse. With this being the only place we have stayed at online we didnt really know what the others had to offer toddlers. The more you look into it the harder the decision seems to get
  5. Tink

Isn't that the truth? Keep in mind that we are not fans of BWI/V, so what I'm about to say may not be useful, but it would be my last choice for toddlers. We stayed there with our Seth when he was two. Firstly, the walk from the lobby entry to the room was so long (no kidding at all) we had to use the stroller because it was too far for him to walk comfortably. The villa overlooked the boardwalk itself, and the noise kept him and I awake, and or woke us early. The staff were non-existant when we needed some minor assistance and the hallways were grubby. :sorry:

Now, add to that the fact that I strongly dislike clowns and the pool area looks like something right out of Stephen King's It, and you can see why we'd not be quick to recommend this resort. Also, not having a dedicated restaurant was a pain in the neck too. :sorry:

So there! Did that help? :wink: :D
  6. mrtoffee

mrtoffee Earning my ears

lol, that was indeed helpful tink, that confirms what we though about the bwi/v with it being an entertainmant area it just looks like it will always be noisy therefore making afternoon naps hard work. I also agree about the stephen king bit that pool just doesn't seem right to me!
  7. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

you know if i were taking little ones i'd go for all stars movies for the theming - i love the deluxes but don't see them as 'disneyfied' as the value resorts.
  8. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

Oh It, that was a good movie. Haven't seen that one in ages.

I personally think it would be easier to stay on the monorail as you will be spending loads of time at MK. Traveling can be tiring, so just hopping on the monorail would be really nice.
  9. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

We went in September with an 18 month old.

We stayed for 5 nights at WL and for 3 nights at AKL... I have to say both resorts are gorgeous...

We loved how close WL was to MK, and Tatiana loved the boat ride to get there... She also really enjoyed the bunnies and especially the DUCKS sharing the pool :)
    The lobby is fantastic, the rocking chairs are really relaxing while the kids run to and from the small bridge and throw coins into it...

However.... We found AKL to have more activities for her... she LOVED playing the African instruments with the CMs, watching the animals from our balcony, going to storytime by the fire pit, AND the free entry pool just had her giggling and running in and out of it forever!!!!

We havent stayed at other deluxes, but we did had dinner at the Beach Club, and although I thought the place was spectacular I found it a bit too fancy for an 18month old to be running about hahahaha... felt a bit uncomfortable to let the monster on the loose hahahahaha
  10. mrtoffee

mrtoffee Earning my ears

Many thanks for all the advice and help guys. Katie and I really enjoyed AKL when we stayed there and I konw our eldest would as well. I think the issue comes when we think how much time we will be spending at MK so a monorail resort or WL may make more sense.

Personally I dont fancy staying in a resort that is spread out which is the reason we were looking at the delux resorts.

Decisions decisions
  11. Mari

How many days are you going for?

As you can see, we were debating over the exact same issue... DISTANCE to MK... and thats why we opted to divide our stay between two resorts...

It was the BEST decision... the first days were mostly spent in MK and Epcot, which was also easy access boat to MK and Monoriel to Epcot...

And then we moved to AKL and spent those days at AK and also at the resort, since there was a lot to do !!!
  12. mrtoffee

mrtoffee Earning my ears

Were looking at going for two weeks so a split stay would be a possibility. We have chatted it through a couple of times but as yet we cant make up out minds. It's so strange how much more you have to think about these things when you take little ones.
  13. Mari

yeap!! you do!

we had taken 2 previous trips as a couple without Tatiana.. and this trip was sooooooooo different... we had to plan so much!!.. but it was worth while... we had a fantastic time, she enjoyed it very very much, and we found Disney to be far more magical :)

And seriously, NOTHING beats watching their little faces light up when they see their favorite character or see that the castle is real, or get to dance with Mickey :) its just pure bliss!
  14. mrtoffee

mrtoffee Earning my ears

This will be my 7th trip and im really looking forward to disney from a toddlers point of view as im sure we will see and do things which we have never noticed befor. :yes:
  15. Tink

Oh you most certainly will! Especially, if you have the time to just let them lead, and follow along. We've had the BEST times when we could afford the time to do that. Once we saw DTD from an entirely new viewpoint, and places we'd never been simply because we let the then 3 year old lead! Great fun, and a real lesson for us "managing" adults, eh? :yes:

Leave time for the things that children like to do. We may think of our time at WDW as purchased time, time to do "important things" that can "only be done at WDW" like take in as many attractions as possible. However, children will show you a whole new way of enjoying the parks if you can allow it. :yes:
  16. Mari

Exactly!!!

but its is so much more fun :)
  17. mrtoffee

mrtoffee Earning my ears

Were really looking forward to it, just got to do the saving bit first
  18. Mari

:yes:

save double what you think you will spend hahahaha.....
  19. Tink

Oh my gosh, Mari is SOOOO right!
  20. BigThunder

BigThunder a cool thingy

I do think AKL offered the most for kids to do. The first time we stayed there my kids were probably 5 & 9 & they didn't want to leave the resort because every day there was so much fun stuff planned for kids! By the time we stayed our second time, they had kind of outgrown it but still, what a lovely place to stay!

I love Beach Club, my personal favorite. The pool is amazing. But, I would worry with two kids so young keeping an eye on them in such a massive place. They do have the area that's not too deep tho (the zero entry side) taht would be fun for little ones.

I also think The Contemporary would be a good choice. YOu have Chef Mickey's right there & the monorail coming through the resort which is always fascinating to children plus you can get boat rides to MK.

Good luck, there are so many great places it's so hard to choose!