1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

What makes the resort for you...

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by Isafari, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

If you have been lucky enough to stay onsite, why did you choose the resort you stayed at?

Maybe it was down to the cost, maybe the location, even the pool.

2. daveann

daveann Addicted to Mickey

the veiw out of he window :) nothing beats seeing the castle from your window :)

3. wdwgrandma

wdwgrandma Addicted to Mickey

Cost usually. I don't care that much about the view. The only time I paid for a view was our first visit to AKL. Other than that, I don't really care.

Another reason for choosing a given resort is the style of the resort. For example, we are staying at POR during our upcoming trip. We stayed there on our last trip, and we've stayed there several other times. We love how pretty and how well maintained the grounds are. We also love watching Piano Bob in the lounge.

But we also enjoy staying at the All Star Resorts - love grabbing a drink from their pool bars!

And over the years we've managed to stay at almost every resort at least once - some we've stayed at many times. There's still a mod (Coronado Springs) and a deluxe (Beach Club) we have yet to stay at, and we've not stayed at any of the DVC resorts.

4. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

Location which is why Poly and Boardwalk are my favorites.

When we stay at Boardwalk we walk to EPCOT, walk/boat to DHS, walk through EPCOT to monorail for Magic Kingdom.

5. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

It has changed with each visit.

AKL, it was our first Disney resort experience, I loved the resort, the animals, the CMs... just fell in love with EVERYTHING.. except the distance to most parks

Pop Century, it was totally about the cost, and decided on that one because it had just opened, so it was nice to stay at a "new" resort

WL, closeness to MK, while still being a bit secluded... didnt care about the view but got a room with view of the MK fireworks :)

AKL, this time around it was ALL ABOUT THE VIEW! and I get excited just remembering Tatiana's expression everytime she saw a giraffe or an ostrich or anyother animal, it was hard to make her come inside... and I hope to go again, and have two screaming little girls in the balcony who cannot hold their excitment at having Melman the giraffe and Marty the zebra outside their window :)

6. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

The only problem with the walk through EPCOT to get the monorail to MK is that you must have a Park Hopper or AP.

7. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

That's correct.

8. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

There's been lots of reasons why.

When I finally was able to stay at the WL it was due to the fact that I had wanted to stay there for so long. I paid for the extra view and it was stunning. I love the WL.

I stayed at the Dolphin once due the cost (great deal) and the location. While the WL is my favorite resort the Epcot resorts are my favorite based on location.

I have stayed at the All-Stars Music several times. My first visit was there and it just became a habit of staying there. I like the food court and the whole disney vibe that radiates off of it.

I have also stayed the Coronado Springs. This resort was definitely not based on theme as I do not like the southwest feel at all, but it was the first moderate I tried. I picked it based on location. Now, while I still don't like the theme I absolutely love the food court. Probably the best I have tried.

I still want to try other resorts, isn't that the fun part?!

9. Tinkfan

Tinkfan Earning my ears

:tongue: Pure and simply cost, we have stayed Value and Moderate. The next trip would have been the first time at a Deluxe. We really have enjoyed the places we've stayed because we were together and at Disney. But if I had to pick Pop is our favorite Value, POFQ is our favorite Moderate ( although I would like to try CSR because they have queen sized beds!) And I'll let you know about the Wl when we get back!

10. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Location for the event... we usually stay at Disney for an event, and we like our resort to be as close to the festivities as possible.

Having said all that, our ultimate resort (not DVC mind) is Beach Club. For DVC proper, it's OKW. :yes:

OKW is huge, sprawling and perfectly maintained. We love the CMs there and the entire feel of the place. :yes:

11. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

I've stayed at several. Years ago, before I got married (the second time), my daughter from my previous marriage and I stayed at the Contemporary for a long weekend. We stayed there because I accidentally got an unbelievable rate of $99/night in the Tower! It was a huge, gorgeous room. Would I stay there again? Probably not unless I got that rate again. It's just not my cup of tea even though the price was right.

After my wife and I got married 15 years ago, we decided to try a Disney vacation. So, we looked at the onsite hotel choices and picked POR pretty much at random. Cost, location, and amenities all figured into it. Well, we fell in love with the place. It's become our favorite resort! We've since stayed at various other resorts also (WL, Pop Century) but, we keep coming back to POR. It's like coming home again.

Would we like to try some other onsite resorts? Absolutely! We'd love to try the Poly sometime. Maybe AKL and GF too! But for right now, POR feels like home.

Tom :)macwave:... ya'll come back now, ya' hear!)

12. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

We haven't stayed onsite yet but for me, AKL would be my fist choice - no need to explain why :lol: However, I doubt the budget would ever stretch that far unless our numbers come up :fingers: :lol: