1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

What satnav do you use in the states?

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by keith, Apr 5, 2014.

1. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

yeah :( I think that's what is really annoying me the most so I'm pretty sure any of the newer ones with cell phone like touchscreens will at least reduce that main frustration

The funny thing is, there's a guy on youtube that tests the satnavs in the north west UK (where I live) and he has a villa in Orlando. So his tests are eerily relevant to me and his conclusion is they've all got problems :lol: The latest garmin he really likes but he went from disney to bestbuy at posner park (a frequent drive for us over there) and it kept telling him to keep to the right lane which of course actually took him off in an exit lane. That's something that still gets us over in the states, those exit only lanes that we're always getting caught in.
  2. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

Sounds like the first time we tried to use apple maps to get to a hotel and it instructed us to park on the interstate and continue our journey on foot...across 8 lines of traffic. When there was a side road right there. Um. No.
  3. keith

:lol:

I went for a test drive in a very fancy, top of the range bmw a few years back. First thing I did was play with the satnav at the dealers and he wasn't all that happy. I assumed he just wanted to get on the road and didn't want me playing with stuff but anyway, I did it. We got onto a very busy motorway (M6) 4lanes each way and the sat nav insisted I make an immediate u-turn :lol:

dealer guy was trying to make excuses but finally gave up and admitted that bmw had changed their sat nav in that model and it was useless. Wouldn't even accept a uk postcode (zip code) so we had to fully spell out the destination.

Some months later there was a funny(kinda) youtube video showing a bmw owner driving into a ditch because they were following the satnav
    Beccaberry likes this.
  4. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

Jon downloaded a free app for iphone and that worked really well! talking about old sat navs.... mine is 9 this year!! the sound has now gone but it's still going. I paid nearly £400 for it when i bought it as it was quite a new thing but really impressed on how it's kept going. I use it every day at work too as i go all over the place.
  5. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Wow! That's a pricy machine, Brit. But as you say, it's still working…
  6. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

We use the ones by the side of the road called signs. :D The only time we ever got lost was when Adrian was driving. :lol:
  7. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

that was when they first came out, it's amazing how much cheaper you can get them now!
  8. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Ours cost the same sort of price and it's working well, especially with the map updates. We've replaced the battery and lead but it still works ok, you have to press a bit harder than you used to.

I think Chris just wants a new one because it will have more gizmos on it :lol:
    Britchick likes this.
  9. Coolape

Coolape Addicted to Mickey

Past few years I've used my iphone with the tom tom app. Purchased the Western Europe and USA versions a few Christmases ago whilst it was discounted. The maps are stored on the phone, no data roaming charges. And one less device to carry. Oh and free updates for life including the fixed speed cameras
    Britchick, keith and Beccaberry like this.
  10. keith

ooo that sounds good thanks for that, I'll take a look :yes:
  11. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

I'll second that recommendation. I've used the TomTom app for the iPhone for a few years now and I can't fault it.

It's great not to have to carry yet another small, expensive gadget around... I have enough trouble keeping track as it is!
  12. Tink

Fixed speed cameras?
  13. Coolape

It's the yellow box cameras on the side of the road, traffic light cameras. They also display the average speed cameras on the motorway.

I've only ever seen a traffic camera in Florida though.
  14. Tink

Ah. Well, there are now cameras that will photograph a vehicle running a red light, and then the local authority will send a ticket to the address of record for the license plate. The nasty bit is, that those lights that are equipped with a camera have been shown time and again to have a very fast yellow light, which leads to many people being caught when they wouldn't have been running a red light on another light that wasn't so equipped. Huge controversy here. Watch for signs that tell you the upcoming traffic light is photo controlled. The can be well before the light, too.
    keith and Coolape like this.
  15. Coolape

Ooh that's a good tip. Thanks will try and remember that one
  16. Tink

17. Tink

That is the sign to be looking for, as it warns you that the traffic light (usually the very next one) is controlled by those cameras. Look for a crossing meter on the corner. It sometimes has a countdown for pedestrians. It will also signal the light to change. If I cannot make it through the intersection on green in time with the pedestrian countdown, I will slow up, prepared to stop when the meter reaches 0. With no meter, I just pray.

If the light turns yellow, it will NOT hold and will be red before your vehicle clears the camera area. You will then receive a ticket. If a rental car, the rental company will transfer it to you. Current fine is $158. :(
    Tony G likes this.
  18. keith

OK well I took the two garmins old and new, iphone and tried tomtom, apple maps, google maps.

The old garmin did worst. It was slow to find satellites, slow to update, no decent lane guidance etc.

The new garmin had the edge on basic navigation. It suggested lanes which were USUALLY but not always correct. It also said things like "turn right at the seven-eleven" which was quite friendly and useful. Strangely the pronunciation of things was actually a bit worse than the older garmin :/ Traffic warning performance was pretty useless tbh. It often misrepresented the delay and position of the problem. Still, a basically good job.

Apple maps was easy to use. With the restaurant in contacts, it was very easy to navigate to it and instructions were quite clear. The maps are based on tomtom's so fundamentally they're correct but they lack the other databases like point of interest and so on :/ so I'd often search for what I hoped would be found and got nothing in return. It often navigated to the middle of a field and so although it felt quite slick, it's not there yet.

Google maps is what apple maps should be. The crowdsourced information makes their up to the moment information about directions, traffic etc pretty accurate. Searching for points of interest was spot on and often suggested similar places nearby. There was no lane assist that I noticed, perhaps that was just me but it's a trivial thing really since the rest often got the lane wrong especially in Orlando when they have those weird lanes that you're traveling in which suddenly take you off.

TOMTOM on iphone was the best for the main part and for £40 it should be! the app is a 1.5GB download so make sure you're by wifi when downloading :) tomtom looks old, reminds me of the first tomtom system I got years ago but that's ok, functional is fine. One area in which google surpassed it was searching for destination. Many occasions TOMTOM just didn't know the shop I was searching for whereas google, well, it's google! so I had an easier time inputting a destination to google maps than tomtom. Once the destination was in, tomtom proved very reliable.

Which would I use next time? Well I won't take the garmin next time. It's unnecessary given how good the phone based systems now are. I'll just take the iphone and a car charger for it. The garmin DID have the benefit of being louder than the iphone but that's ok, iphone was "loud enough"... just...

As to what app I'll use? I feel like I should use tomtom since I paid for it :lol: but in all honesty, google maps was 99% of tomtom in terms of navigation, BETTER in terms of searching for destinations and free.

So, for the majority of drivers, unless you have some specific need which the others address, I'd recommend google maps
    Coolape likes this.
  19. Coolape

That's an awesome review Keith. Thanks.
  20. orbsuk

orbsuk Imagineer

yes great review keith .i was thinking of hiring a satnav but dont know if i should buy the maps which are £40 for my tomtom and take that instead?