What the hell am I going to do with my parents for 6 days?

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World Trip Reports and Itineraries' started by Beccaberry, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Beccaberry

Beccaberry Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Website Manager/IT
    Yep. Reality just hit me.

I love my parents, I really do. And I am beyond grateful to have the opportunity to take this trip with them...but, let's face it...we have nothing in common. Nothing. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Well, a bit of DNA, but really? It's not like we share VODKA! They are teetotalers for goodness sake! Clowns on crackers, SHE'S A PREACHER!!!!! (Not that there is ANYTHING wrong with preachers, but, well, have you met me?)

So while I've had this lovely little fairytale in my head about how this holiday is going to play out, the truth is (and the truth that I will ONLY divulge here as I am swearing you all to secrecy) I AM STARTING TO GET REALLY NERVOUS. What if I chose the wrong restaurants? What if my dad gets exhausted? What if they don't like the resort? What if they don't like the attractions? What if they get bored? What if they drive me crazy? What if they don't (gasp) like Disney?!!?:exit:

I'm a really awful daughter, aren't I?

:hide:

2. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Active Member

Housewife.
    Aww, I know where you're coming from. Pete has tattoos, drinks, smokes and swears. His Dad is a straight-laced lay preacher. We love him but we couldn't spend 6 days with him. You just need to stay calm amd remember uou love them. I'm sure that they will enjoy the hols simply because they're with you. :hug2:

3. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Well-Known Member

Teacher/planetarium director
    Deep breath! It will be fine. Just be yourself. Enjoy the ride....

4. Tink

Tink Administrator Staff Member Administrator

OK, Miss Awful, here's what you'll do. If Dad gets tired, rent a Electric scooter, or a regular wheelchair for the duration of that day. :yes: You can be so very dutiful in pushing him around. If they don't like the restaurant offerings, and they are full service restaurants, you can always, always, always ask for something to be made special for them. If they don't like one attraction, they'll like another, so they won't get bored going from one to the other to see if they like it. If they drive you crazy? Well, make sure part of each day is just for you and the vodka. :D Now, feel better, Miss Amazing Daughter? :hug2:

5. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak New Member

Accounting Manager
    You could always leave them at Lost & Found. ;)

6. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Dazzling everyone with my sheer awesomness :D
    Sorry that made me laugh.

7. BUTTERHEAD1

BUTTERHEAD1 Active Member

Retired NYPD Detective
    I took my mom with us a few times and it was so much fun and then one time I took my mom and stepdad and not so much fun .Finally I went with my brothers family and my sisters family and our friend who is like a sister and her daughter.... 15 of us in total..... What a disaster. Kids were arguing with kids..... parents arguing with parents ... One parent was an absolute disaster and complained about everything and yelled at all of the kids at one time or another, everyone was on eggshells. It was by far the worst vacation ever and I promised my self then that I would never ever go on vacation with family again.
    My mom has since gotten very ill and is wheelchair bound but I would still take her, she was so much fun. She did tower of terror, Aerosmith,space andsplash mountains... She was a trooper.

8. Tink

We've been on family vacations too, and really the only thing that works is to plan to come together at some point each day and then let the rest go where they will. That may not work so well for you, Becca as your parents have never been before, eh? If that is the case, then it will be perfect because you can devote your time to what they will like. Keep in mind, they may best like watching all of you have fun!

BH1, I've been on those holidays. :( Awful, aren't they? I've refused to go on large family group vacations for a while now.

9. Johnie

Johnie Active Member

Vocational Counselor
    I've take my mom and my dad to WDW. Separately mind you as together they would have driven me insane. You've met my mom, she's a chaplain!

It will be ok. You can always let the kids go off with the grandparents for a bit.

The restaurants will be fine. Disney excels at accommodating so just ask for whatever it is you need :)

Renting an ecv is an excellent suggestion for your dad. Mom can get around every day life just fine but WDW is huge.

Now take a deep breath and a swig of vodka and go have a great time!!

10. Britchick

Britchick Active Member

Well I survived mine for 2 weeks!! Lol

11. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Dazzling everyone with my sheer awesomness :D
    Reminds me of when my friend went with her family on a big vacation, she said her sister was a real pain and even had a tantrum lying on her back on the floor, I was horrified and said "How old is your sister?" "44" she said (LOLOLOLOLOL) Now THAT I would have paid to see and laugh at!

12. Beccaberry

Website Manager/IT
    You know MP, that's exactly what my dad said the other day. I'm hoping it's true :)

*deep breath* yes. Yes I do. I'll just bring extra vodka.

HAHAHAHA!! I'll be lucky if they don't do that to me! My mom always used to say she has NO idea how on earth I belong to her as we are so very different.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions (especially the ones for extra vodka). I'm feeling better now. Had a long talk with mom and dad last night, and they really are over the moon excited. I just want everything to be perfect. And when you want everything to be perfect, all you can think of is the potential for imperfection :D

13. Britchick

Britchick Active Member

Spike some gator aid! That's what we used to do through swim meets! Other parents wondered why we were becoming louder and louder towards the end of the meet! Lol

14. Tink

Brit!!! :lol: Well, hey. Whatever works in the MK! :D :D

15. Beccaberry

Website Manager/IT
    Just thought I'd share this response I received from one of Baleigh's teachers this morning (I emailed them all to let them know she'd be out a few days).

Dear Ms. Toon,

I am so happy to hear about your father's excellent news. As a person who has lost both of their parents to cancer, I share in your joy.

I have just given our next assignment to Baleigh this morning. It isn't due until 9/24. Baleigh should be able to get it done before then, but if she cannot, she can certainly have more time. The assignment after that will be given out while she is away. Baleigh can get it upon her return to school and finish it when she can. There are no deadlines for Baleigh as far as I'm concerned.

Take care,

Mr. Noyes

:sigh::sigh:
    Certainly brought everything right back into perspective, I tell ya.

16. Britchick

Britchick Active Member

can you imagine if some of the straight laced southerners had found out?!!

17. Tink

Becca, I know that brought tears to your eyes. :hug2:

Brit, yeah huh?! LOL.