1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

What things would you consider a must outside of WDW?

Discussion in 'General' started by jg22524, Apr 5, 2009.

1. jg22524

jg22524 Earning my ears

As a first timer to Orlando what things would you consider a must whilst there?

I had a thread for WDW but we are also looking at Universal and possibly Discovery Cove so any ideas outside of WDW grateful received! Do people think that DC is value for money and is the dolphin swim worth it?

So if you have a spare 5 minutes can you suggest anything that you would just have to do/visit outside of WDW.

Thanks.

2. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

Sea World is always a must for us.

Universal - we're kind of indifferent about this park at the moment. Not really much that our boy would be able to or want to do so we'll probably miss those parks next trip.

We always have a day shopping too. :D

3. jg22524

jg22524 Earning my ears

Thanks Dawn.

I think we will do Sea World as DS loves Killer Whales. Regarding the shopping is it all centrally located or dotted around. My DH is really into comics (Marvel etc) so a trip to a comic store is a must but I will be hitting the clothes shops!

Do you think that Universal will be ok for a 7 year old?

4. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

discovery cove is a fantastic day out. I haven't taken the kids yet as last time I went the youngest was too young. When i walked out of the water having swum with the dolphins i just felt this aura (sp?) i was so chilled out and happy- it really affected me. I can't wait to go back.

Sea world- I enjoy this very much too because i like animals/fish and the shows are really good. If you go you must do the pet show- can't remember what it's called but it shows you how they train animals and also clyde and seymour- don't forget to arrive early for this one for the preshow entertainment.

I've only been to universal and islands of adventure once but i did enjoy them, a lot of people don't like them as much but i say give it a go. Particular favourites are the spiderman ride, ET and men in black.

we took a 9 year old and 5 year old to Universal and they loved it, Caitlin didn't like the jurassic park ride but it wasn't the drop it was the fact it was dark- i didn't notice as i had my eyes closed before we even saw the dinosaur :lol:

5. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

We always do SeaWorld, Busch Gardens, Universal Studios, Islands of Adventure and, every couple of years if we can afford it, we go to Discovery Cove.

6. jg22524

jg22524 Earning my ears

Thanks Britchick and Isafari for the help.

Will definitely do Sea World and Universal.

Have been googling all afternoon and have decided that Discovery Cove looks amazing. Have spent the rest of the day convincing my DS and DH to join me for the dolphin swim. My DS wasn't too sure about there being dolphins in the water with him but after finding lots of video footage and clicking on Isafari's link I think he is ok with it now. DH was worried about it as he isn't a great swimmer but by the looks of it, it's not particularly deep. So thanks for the comments they have really helped.

7. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

With regard to shopping, there are two major outlet mall type places. One is Prime Outlets and the other is Premium outlets.

If you want non-outlet shopping there is the Millennia Mall (high end shops) and the Florida Mall.

8. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

oooo do DC if you can at all afford it , it was a truely fantastic day!

Sea world is lovely and if you go to DC you will have 'free entry' to this for the 14 days you are there!

never been to BG and we intermittently go to Universal.

9. jg22524

jg22524 Earning my ears

Thanks Tink and Skywatcher. :thumbsup:

10. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

For shopping...

I think the premium outlets have great variety, from Ralph Lauren to Oilily.... and the place is not way too big.

Florida mall is the typical mall, and has, I believe, most of the stores you could hope for... hahaha :)

11. jg22524

jg22524 Earning my ears

Sounds fab. I think I'll have to make sure we only half fill the suitcases on the way out so we have room to bring things back!

12. Skywatcher

You won't get quite the bargains we did now the pound is so weak though - we used to take one suitcase inside another :lol:

NASA was a fantastic day out as well, not sure if you'd thought of that

13. jg22524

jg22524 Earning my ears

Yes shame about the weakness of the £. Still I think it will still be novelty value in that hopefully there be things that you can't get in the UK. Unfortunately DH will probably want to fill some of the case with comics or the like and DS will be wanting lots of Ben 10!

14. Skywatcher

Alien force :wink:

15. jg22524

jg22524 Earning my ears

Absolutely!