1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Question What to do

Discussion in 'General' started by BUTTERHEAD1, Jun 16, 2014.

1. BUTTERHEAD1

BUTTERHEAD1 Addicted to Mickey

I have a bounce back free dining trip booked for 8/20-8/29. The time to pay is drawing near and I am feeling a little guilty. My son graduated high school the other day and he is leaving tomorrow for a job at a camp up in Maine. He comes home on 8/18 and has to be at college (Virginia Tech) on 8/19. When I booked the trip last year it was for the four of us and now if we go it will only be the three of us. The guilt is a little overwhelming because we have always gone as a family and this would be the first trip without him. I told my daughter and wife that I am considering canceling the trip until December when he is home , that didn't go over very well. I don't have the heart to call Disney and have him removed from our reservation.

2. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

I feel your pain, I found it terrible when Daniel left for University and we were down to 3 for everything outside of the holidays. It does get easier though. Caitlin and I went to WDW on our own a few months after he left and he gave us his blessing on that. He was having so much fun with his new friends that he wasn't bothered. Times move on my friend :hug1:

3. sarah

sarah Addicted to Mickey

It's very difficult when your kids grow up my boys are 15 and 12 and I do think ahead to the time when my boys are unable or just do t want to come on holiday with us ( although if it's wdw I think they will always make sure they are free lol) but you have to do what feels right for you and your family if it's easy to re schedule and everyone is happy to do that then maybe go for that. If it's not possible and your son understands and is happy for you to go without him especially if you will return altogether at another time then go for that. Hope you get to make your decision without any guilt xx

Tony G likes this.
  4. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

I can imagine how difficult it will be for you :hug2:

Ask him and see what he says, I'm sure he will understand and who knows maybe you could arrange a few days at Christmas as well.

5. BUTTERHEAD1

BUTTERHEAD1 Addicted to Mickey

He is sad and sentimental about not going with us. We have been on at least Disney 15 trips together as a family. I will pay for this trip and take a wait and see attitude to see how we all feel as the time gets closer, in the meantime I will book a free dining trip for Christmas just in case we cancel out August trip.

6. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

It's hard when kids grow up :-(

7. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Oh geez, that's really hard stuff. :( Especially, since he is sad about missing it. There has to be a first time, Da. :hug2: What will hurt less? Going now, and getting that first time ache over and done with, or waiting until there is another "first time" where perhaps you've all gotten more used to it?

On the other hand, if your wife and daughter aren't going to be happy about a reschedule for August, then I'd thing doing it now would be preferable over waiting. You get that horrible "first" out of the way, and don't get in hot water with the women in your life.

8. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

Yes, women are scary when they're upset... SCARY, I TELLS YA! :eek::shocked::bugeye::fryingpan:

Be warned, if you do go and you're feeling like this, you'll end up bringing him back a suitcase full of stuff.