1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

What to take on self catering trip

Discussion in 'General' started by Sam, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Sam

Sam Imagineer

Hi guys

A friend of mine is off to Disney in May this year for the first time and are going self catering in a villa. They asked me what they should take with them and I wondered if you guys had any tips.

As someone who takes everything but the kitchen sink I have given them some advice, but I'm sure many of you will have some better ideas of what to take. I do know someone who takes food with them from the UK, I'm not that bad.

2. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

the only thing i would take from home myself is tea bags, the rest i'd buy out there. You can get tea bags but i think they're rubbish (sorry American friends!)

3. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

We took a jar of Marmite last time and found one in the cupboard when we got to the villa. :doh:

Seriously unless you desperately can't exist without it then you don't need to take anything.

4. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

Id imagine its very different to staying in a caravan where you have to take everything - its kind of home from home isnt it? you just need to take the little things - i think i'd take tea bags and probably not much else actually!

5. chief

chief Earning my ears

i take flash wipes to clean with, t bags, marmite and infacare. you can buy all your regular stuff in the foreign section of the supermarkets but it is very expensive, in march 2010 a small botttle of robinsons cordial was $7 !!!

6. arkvilla

arkvilla Addicted to Mickey

Just take teabags if you like tea.

We provide a few dishwasher tables, soap powder ( liquid actually) bin liners etc to last a few days.

You will be able to buy whatever else you need once you arrive. It's really not worth taking it with you as you can pop to Walmart and have a good nosey about and pick up the bits you need while you are in there

Sandra

7. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

There is a very comprehensive shop on McLeod (just north of Universal Studios) called International Food Club. It's not a true club, and is open to the public.

If you need something you can't find in the international section of Publix, look there. They have tons of stuff and prices are quite reasonable (including frozen meat options like bangers and pies, ect.).

Tea? There are tons of imported teas here. PG TIps is one of our personal favorites, but if you have one you think you can't live without then bring it along.

Otherwise, simply enjoy the differences between the two countries and seek out some US foods that you will love and miss when you go home! (I have a huge list of Irish foods I can't wait to have again when I return).

8. Tinkfan

Tinkfan Earning my ears

:wave: OK I have to ask, what kind of tea do you bring over ?I mean the brand name. We have an extensive Uk department at Wegmans although they are having difficulty with shipping at the moment but we have a huge selection of British and Irish teas. Do they sell Twinings in the UK or Bewleys? What am I missing that I should look for?

9. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

I like Yorkshire tea, yes you can get it there but it's quite expensive, I'd love to hear you say bangers Tink lol:tongue:

10. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I love my tea and I always used to take yorkshire tea or similar with me. I noticed though that the main failure of US tea making in restaurants hasn't normally been the tea rather the preperation. They tend to use hot not boiling water and as we tea drinkers know ;-) it must be made with boiling water. Then add half and half or, gulp, cream, rather than milk and you have a useless cuppa.

When made properly, even normal US lipton/nestea can be ok :yes:

Anyway I agree with everyone else, you don't need to take anything much since you'll be able to purchase it out there without it taking up room/weight in your luggage.

11. arkvilla

I like Cafe Direct Tink, it's a Fairtrade tea ( lots of them are now)

I also like the Twinnings everyday tea

Sandra

12. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

I used to take all sorts of things, but now I don't take anything, not even tea. I like Twinings Irish tea so that's what I buy over there and it's not a bad price either.

I've got my list ready for Publix before we get there as we've got our favourite bread, food etc :lol: Yes I really do write a list on the flight over :D

13. keith

Ah now... bread..... yes hmmm I've not figured that one out yet really.

I do love sandwiches but just can't get "normal" uk bread/butter out there :/

14. chief

chief Earning my ears

i cant live without twinings breakfast tea:tongue:
    nice and strong with one sugar please:wiggle:

15. Wendy

What bread do you buy over here :unsure:

We were a bit like that in the beginning and now we have found one that we like. We tend to go for an unsliced fresh loaf as we've found the slices to thin if we ask them to slice it for us. I think without a doubt though, the best bread we have had was from Yalaha Bakery (I know I keep on about it, but I love that place :lol: )

As for butter if we fancy a treat we buy Kerrygold - but it is really expensive. Otherwise I buy Land 'O Lakes salted butter which is quite nice.

16. keith

Just warburtons normal white. I like it because it doesn't dry out as much as some of the others.

ooo ok :)

17. arkvilla

I'm a saddo and take my butter with me ( just the Lurpak spreadable) I pop it in a tupperware sealed box and put it in my case. I also take some extra mature cheddar if we are going out for more than a couple of weeks :embarassed:

I checked the homeland securities site before bringing them and it's fine as long as it's hard cheese and not in hand luggage

Sandra

18. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Wendy I have to laugh because I was going to recommend Kerrygold myself, if you could find it and obviously you can. Yes it is expensive, normally more for 1/2 pound of that than a whole pound of regular butter, but if I'm not using it for cooking that's all I buy to put on food.

19. Wendy

OK, so you won't like the bakery bread then :lol: Chris said you like plastic bread :lol:(I have slapped him ) I would have thought Publix's own pre-sliced bread that isn't baked in store would be ok, I'm sure Tink will know of something :yes:

20. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

I stay bread and butter free when we are in Florida!