1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Question What type of hire car?

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by goofygal, Sep 4, 2013.

1. goofygal

goofygal Imagineer

The last time we were there we just got a compact but never again LOL this time we fancy an SUV but its hard to tell which category to go for because it doesn't say what a luxury has over say a standard?
  2. Tishypops

Tishypops Addicted to Mickey

I have hot a full size this time. Last time we got an intermediate and luckilyDM had taken our luggage because there us no way it would have got in there. We have done a convertible before too and loved it (although I was a little disappointed with how basic it was) but that is just really impractical with the 4 of us
  3. disneymom

disneymom Imagineer

I wonder this too :/ there seems to be so many types of SUV but I have no real idea what size they all are
  4. Tishypops

I got upgraded for free to a full size SUV this time. It is HUGE 7 seater but much more room than 7 seaters at home. DVD player for the kids it's gorgeous. Ella wants to take it home with us lol
  5. Tishypops

6. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

We had a traverse as well Trish, we were upgraded from the full size SUV as well. It is a gorgeous vehicle but ours had a fault so it had to go back. They upgraded us again then and we are in this huge Toyota 4 Runner. Ill post a photo later.

We feel safer in a SUV there are different groups though so you have to e careful.
  7. disneymom

disneymom Imagineer

If we book a jeep grand Cherokee from dollar, what other ones might we be stuck with ? I hate choosing one only to have to pick up a different type because theres none left
  8. Britchick

Britchick Forum Host Forum Host

That's the category we booked and got upgraded to a GMC Acadia which was fab and we wanted to take it home. I think the ford explorer is in that class with dollar. Not sure about others but the jeep has lots of space for people and luggage. We had one on a road trip once
  9. Keith

Keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

We normally just get a full size car but I must admit I'm quite tempted by the standard SUV for a change

Does anyone ever bother with the platinum insurance for windscreens and tyres etc?
  10. Britchick

I think you'd like it Keith, give it a try. I think they changed the gold/platinum since we last went. We always used to get the gold but I don't know now. Those tyres and windscreens are expensive!
  11. Wendy

With Dollar the tyres and screen are not covered by the gold or platinum insurance. It costs $4 a day extra for that.

We've had a few trips back and forth to car rental this time and we spoke to a really helpful guy in the garage. He said that if you have a flat and you don't pay the extra then Dollar's roadside assistance won't cover you for this. You will have to get recovery yourself and get the tyre either fixed or replaced. With the windscreen it's exactly the same if something happens roadside you aren't covered.

I was talking to Tink about this last night funnily enough.

We actually paid for it in our third trip to the airport to take back the Traverse we had. The tyre pressure warning kept going off, Chris would put air in and then the next day it would be low again. We took it back and said it had a knocking noise. After that he just took out the insurance.

Virgin Holiday's car rental includes tyres and screens and according to Tishy so do Alamo Brits.
  12. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I am actually pretty disgusted that a rental company would charge for the windshield nonsense. Here in Florida (not sure about other states) broken windshields, (even if only cracked) are replaced for FREE by all insurance companies. Ridiculous and unethical to be charging for that.

Must say they've "grown" the Front Runner. That baby is HUGE. ( I did rudely mention that it was the size of a hearse). :sorry: (Well it is THAT big)! :eek:
  13. Keith

That's really weird Wen! I asked them and they said the difference between gold and platinum is "Windscreen, Tyre and Under Carriage Cover"
  14. Britchick

US rentacar covers them under their platinum product see here

cost £30 more on a Jeep Grand Cherokee for 2 weeks in August. So i'd go with that i think
  15. Wendy

We went through carhire3000 as usual and we always have the top one which includes extra drivers full tank etc. I'll have to check ti see if it is included, not that Dollar will refund us. There was a guy causing a fuss at the desk when we got there. He'd returned his car and there was an extra charge of nearly $500. All the manager said was you should have checked before you signed the agreement, its not our problem!

I don't think I would ever go with Dollar again, we've been pretty disgusted with their choice of rentals and attitude.
  16. Keith

Ive not been impressed the last few times, I think I'll try Alamo next time
  17. Britchick

Never rented out of MCO before, wonder if its just there?
  18. Wendy

The majority of Dollar's cars have over 40,000 miles on the clock. The one we have now has 35,000 I think. The cars aren't very clean either. They just don't seem to care anymore.
  19. Britchick

Wow! We've never had that, the one we had last had about 3000 on it! Is this all the car rentals or just dollar? It's not like hiring cars is cheap!
  20. Wendy

We've only ever used Dollar so I can't comment on the others :sorry: