1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

What was your first time at Disney like?

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World' started by disneymom, Aug 6, 2008.

1. disneymom

disneymom Imagineer

What was your special moment? what did you enjoy the most?

I think for me it was the usual one, the first time I stood at the end of main street with the popcorn smell and saw the castle

2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Well, I'm embarrassed to admit my first visit to WDW (one long ago December 27th) was not nice at all. A day trip to MK that almost convinced me that I'd not ever go back. :sorry:

I did fall in love with Splash Mountain that day though. It was the highlight of a very long, very unpleasant day. (It was the people I was with. You know how that goes).

So, for me, my first real trip to WDW came years later when I went with people who I love and who loved me! :yes: It was a bona fide holiday, with staying in a hotel (offsite this first time) and everything. I discovered that WDW was MUCH more than MK, and the joy of just being there was contagious, or perhaps infectious is a better word.

I renewed my love of Splash Mountain and fell totally head over heels, love at first sight forever and ever in LOVE with EPCOT and the WS. :yes: We ate at the then open air cafe in France on one of our evenings. It was divine. What a wonderful meal we had!

So, my technical first time was a bust, but my "real" first time was wonderful. It was the start of something "big" and permanent! :yes:

3. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

My first visit to WDW was about 20 years ago, as an adult. I remember feeling in awe standing there on Main Street USA and looking down at the castle. We had gotten our tickets by listening to a time share presentation.

4. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I didn't get to go to WDW until I was an adult. I took Alysia for her fifth birthday.

I cried when I saw the castle for the first time.

I RAN to get in line to meet Winnie the Pooh (my favorite since I was a baby)

We went for lunch at King Stefan's Banquet Hall (which is now CRT). Cinderella and one of the mice were in the lobby greeting people. Alysia met her and then for some reason, we got in the elevator and Cinderella and the mouse got in with us! I thought Alysia was going to burst with happiness. She was pretty quiet back then and you could tell she had gotten her nerve up because she burst out with, "Areyougoingtoeatlunchwithustoo?!" :lol: Cinderella was SO nice and told her that she would love to but she was on her way to have lunch with the prince. Oh my goodness, that is ALL she talked about for ages.

5. BUTTERHEAD1

BUTTERHEAD1 Addicted to Mickey

I was 19 the first time I went. It was my parents,my sis and brother and my girlfriend(future wife).We stayed off-site and although I had a good time it wasnt until 8 years later that I fell in love with WDW. That year my wife and I went to Aruba and then WDW(CB) for our honeymoon and we immediately fell in love with the place. We now have 2 kids (7,12)and have returned with them at least once a year since my oldest was 3.

6. piglet

piglet Serious Forum Regular

It was 1980 and every cloud has a silver lining. My DH's grandmother died and left us some money so we hired a Winnebago and travelled from Illinois down through St Louis and across to Los Angeles. All of a sudden we were at Anaheim and for all those years I'd wanted to go, my wish was coming true. We walked to the entrance (after me developing a huge migraine) and went to a stage show and there were all the characters singing and dancing and there was me crying my eyes out with happiness. That was the start of my love affair with Disney and people have come and gone through my life but Disney has always and will always be my love that will stay with me for ever :yes:

7. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

best moment for me was on our first trip in 2000, standing at the top of main street facing the castle and looking at my kids faces....that was priceless and will live with me forever :D

8. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

DH and I just couldn't believe we were there....seeing the sights we were seeing and taking in the atmosphere. Quite often, on that first ever day in Florida, we would look at each other and we would both be teary eyed with happiness. In fact, that still happens!

9. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

I had wanted to visit since I was a child, but then it was one of those faraway dreams I never thought would happen. I remember doing a project in Geography at school and drawing a map - that was when there was only MK.

My first visit was when I was 24 on honeymoon in Sept 1995. We stayed in a villa off site and the feeling of driving onto WDW property - I thought I was going to burst (I drove DH couldn't drive then :D). We got the ferry over and the feeling of seeing the castle for the first time was amazing. I stood there and cried :lol: The best thing is I still get that very same feeling now - it has never even diminished for me :)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  10. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

Me and my cousin in 1988 and we walked down Main St in disbelief that we were actually there. We just walked in a daze for about an hour with these big wide-eyed expression just not saying a word. Finally my cousin said "shall we go on something then?" :lol:

An hour later we were walking around whistling "it's a small world" :rofl:

11. Claire

Claire She lost the crayons!

My first visit was in 1988 with a boyfriend. I'd turned 21 that year and an insurance policy paid out. Rather than be sensible and reinvest I booked flights and car for 3 weeks. We flew out on the 8th April. My uppermost memory of the trip was how I walked around pointing like a fool saying things like "wow, look at the dustbins" and "wow, look at the grass"!

12. Grammiepo

Grammiepo Daisy Inspector

Oh what memories, 3 familys drove to Disney from Maine, camping along the way, we stayed at FW, it was in 1976, my children were the older ones , DD geing 15 and DS 12, there were 14 of us in all, the youngest child being 4. I stood looking at Mickey made up in flowers out side the train station and could not believe I was there. Everyone said it was the trip of a life time, but we have all been back several times sence, but never as a group. Best trip Ever.

13. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

Was at DLP not long after it opened - spent 1 1/2 hours walking down mainstreet pointing at everything and photographing everything - walked through the castle and ended up on Dumbo.

14. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

:lol: I was fascinated with the grass as well Claire :yes:

15. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

My first visit to Disney was Disneyland--about two weeks after it opened in 1955! It was a birthday treat--although I didn't know it in advance!

My parents told me we were going to visit some family friends for the day. It was about a one-hour drive to Disneyland from where we lived--freeways weren't finished yet, but there were good roads--and typical young child, I was a bit antsy toward the end of the ride. We drove under the Disneyland sigh, paid for parking (I think it was a quarter--I remember it being 50 cents for the longest time beginning a few years later), but I didn't really understand what it was about. I'm sure there were ads on television, but my viewing time was severely limited, so I hadn't seen or heard anything about this place.

Needless to say, the huge parking lot didn't impress me one bit! The trams scared me. The seats ran lengh-wise in those days, with the passengers facing out toward the road. I think I had nightmares about falling off the seat for a few weeks after that visit! :lol:

My mother entertained me while my father purchased the tickets. Then we were going inside the gates. And there were Mickey, and Minnie and Goofy and Pluto... :sigh; These were the "family friends" we were visiting!

We rode the double-decker bus (a novelty to me) to the end of Main Street and Sleeping Beauty's castle was beautiful! And after we walked through it, there was an entire land with colourful banners and rides and...Alice in Wonderland and the Mad Hatter!

Well, you get the idea! I was entranced! And it stuck!

When I visited WDW in 1981, it was a bit of a let-down. We (Leu, two other friends and I) had wanted to visit WDW ever since Walt Disney announced the plans on The Wonderful World of Colour. I finally had the opportunity to tack it to the back-end of a business trip to DC, so I planned four days at WDW over Labour Day weekend. MK was the only park and, to be honest, it really didn't rate next to Disneyland. It felt flat and two-dimensional. Some aspects of WDW (MK only, remember), were superior to Disneyland, but for the most part not nearly as good.

Then I was able to take the monorail to EPCOT and I stood on that viewing platform for a good two hours while people came and went, just watching all the dusty construction activity in complete awe! Leave it to me--get excited about a construction site! Actually, the possibilities were what excited me!

Fast forward 22 years to 2003 and the trip with Leu. I discovered I now prefer WDW over Disneyland! Just the sheer immensity (is that a word? if not, it should be!) of the place! It's a destination rather than a day trip now. :thumbs_up:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008