1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

what you think is a good age to take kids

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line' started by Mari, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

on a Disney cruise?

I mean... old enough to enjoy the activities on board, as well as some of the tours at different ports of call...

A friend of mine wants to take her 3 and 1 year old... and I honestly told her I thought they were too young to enjoy it enough... but maybe Im wrong---

I would think around 6-8 years old ... but again, I might be totally wrong.

So.. Im asking the experts :)

2. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

Personally I would think 10 and older for a cruise, but hey, that's just me. :unsure:

3. Mari

yeah.. 10 sounds good, then again Im not sure how much in love they will be with characters at 10.. hopefully head over heels though hahaha

Another thing to take into account, for us, is the language barrier... I do my best to teach Tatiana English, and she only watches TV and movies in English... but she lives in a Spanish speaking country, so I wouldnt want to do it before she can
    1. understand and enjoy the kids club, character interaction, shows
    2. understand and follow directions to keep her safe... specially on a boat...

but thats a different subject all together I guess... hahaha

4. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

That's a good point Mari.

I also tend to think about what they will receive from the trip...visiting ports and truly enjoying the cruise itself. Cruises are not just rides and characters.

5. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

I would think 4 or 5 and up. Disney does a absolutely fantastic job of taking care of the kiddies. :thumbsup:

On our last cruise, we met a family during lunch when we first got onboard who had their little 4 year old daughter with them. She was very shy and wanted daddy to hold her all the time. They were very concerned with how she'd adapt to the cruise. But since they were already on the ship, it was kind a mute point. Anyway, later on in the cruise, we happened to run into mom and dad one evening in Rockin' Bar D. We asked them how their daughter was doing on the cruise since she'd been so shy. They said they were amazed. She was having the time of her life! They couldn't get her out of the Oceaneer Club.

On our first cruise, our dinner table mates had a little two year old with them. He was having a blast also.

The bottom line is I think Disney is able to accomodate kids of almost any age. But you're probably better off taking them at a time in their lives when they'll most remember the Magic.

Tom :)macwave:... wish my kids were still little enough to take!)

6. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

My 8 year old nephew and 5 year old (almost 6) niece was part of our group on this last cruise and they had a blast!! They LOVED the Oceaneer Club/Lab!! Most of the time we couldn't get them to leave. I would say 4 and older is a good age for a Disney cruise.

7. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

Tom, you can adopt me and take me along!!! :yes:

8. Tinkfan

Tinkfan Earning my ears

Mari, how did you learn English so well? I think the perfect age for a cruise is the age parents are ok with leaving them in the age appropriate activities alone so that they too can enjoy the cruise! :yes:

9. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

This is one of those situations where it totally depends upon the child, eh? One will do fine at two and one won't be ready until older.

The little one (turned three onboard) that went with us seemed to have a nice time, but she's so clinically shy (and that's exacerbated by her mother) that it was difficult to tell if she was really having fun or not. I can't say the cruise was "wasted" on her, but I can't say that she had a rollicking good time either.

10. Mari

Thanks... you have actually heard me trying to speak though.... hahahaha

I totally agree, I dont think I would feel at ease leaving her "on her own" before maybe 6 or 7.... but maybe Im just over protective...

11. Mari

Thats so true.....

Tatiana is not shy... as long as its characters hahahahaha... she is more apprehensive around people.... :tongue:

12. catrancher

Mari,

I don't think you'd really have to worry. The parents I mentioned before were just like that. By later in the cruise when we ran into them again, they were wondering what they had ever worried about. :unsure:

When you take your child to the Oceaneers Club/Lab on the Disney ships, the CM's check your child in and give you a pager. If they need you, they'll page you. Other than that, they don't let your children leave without you being there.

Most of the kids I've heard about don't want to leave the club anyway. Some of them have even cried when their parents said it was time to go. They like it that much! :yes:

Tom :)macwave:... who's just a kid at heart!)

13. Mari

I had no idea thats how it worked Tom :)

its really good to know...

I am really concerned about her trying to jump overboeard....:unsure: I know it might be a totally unfounded fear and maybe the rails are to high or "kid proofed" but I guess I would have to BE there you know??

but its great to know that they wouldnt let her leave on her own.... :yes:

14. catrancher

Don't be. The rails are about 3 1/2 to 4 feet high and if they "appear" to be open, they actually have a clear plexiglass backing on them so you can't even put your feet through. Nothing to really climb on.

Besides, if she's in the Oceaneers Club/Lab, they're not going to let her out of the club to go wandering around by herself. Probably the only time she'd be on deck would be with you.

Really, you'd have to work pretty hard to go overboard.

Tom :)macwave:... who really likes Deck 4!)

15. Mari

Well then.... I guess its time to start saving for a cruise hahahahahaha

16. paraflier

paraflier Earning my ears

We are planning to go in the spring, by then our two boys will be 4 and 6 years old. I think that's the perfect age. The "magic" of everything won't be lost on them, they're still into the characters and are old enough to leave at the children's activities for a few hours so mom and dad can enjoy a night cap or go swimming without the munchkins around. Or maybe I'm kidding myself and they'll be miserable. My boys are anything but shy and they both have some experience being away from mom and dad for short time periods so I'm hoping for the best!

17. Shellyamc

Shellyamc Serious Forum Regular

I agree with what has been said here already. I think 90% of it depends on your child :yes:

We did the same thing with taking the kids to WDW for the first time. Katie I could have taken anytime after the age of 1. My little boy however, is not even close to being ready :surrender: He is just so much different then she was at his age. So instead of taking them this October, we are going to wait an extra year.

18. catrancher

Not a chance! You won't believe how much fun they'll have. :yes:

Your only problem may be getting them to come back to the stateroom with you. :mental:

As I mentioned before, our last cruise we met some parents of a 4 year old little girl at lunch as soon as we boarded the ship. The poor little thing appeared to be scared to death (so was dad) and just was clinging to him for dear life. We ran into the same people several other times on the cruise and now she was crying because she wanted to go back to the Oceaneer's lab but Mommy and Daddy said it was time for bed. All the trepidation had vanished and been replaced with pure joy!

It was a wonder to see! :thumbsup:

Tom :)macwave:... just amazing!)

19. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

i think as long as they understand who mickey (or whatever character)is they would have a fantasmic time. i just wish i could have afforded to take my two when they were younger than they were when we first went as lauren loved mickey from a very early age. i think lauren was three at the time

Attached Files: