1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

What's at celebration?

Discussion in 'General' started by buzzchamp, Jan 20, 2009.

1. buzzchamp

buzzchamp Imagineer

I keep reading about it but havent been there. What is there to do there please?
  2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Shop, eat, and on Sunday visit a Farmer's Market (that isn't a real farmer's market more like a mini craft fair with a veggie stand). :D

They have a pretty little lake and the area is quite nice (in a Stepford Wives sort of way...)

They have different festivals and events throughout the year. They have a really nice (albeit small) car show. Testarossas and the like. :D :D The Pie Festival. Seafood Festival. That sort of thing.

It's simply a little place, trying to give the atmosphere of a small village plunked down in the middle of chaos on 192! :D
  3. daveann

daveann Addicted to Mickey

its a lovely place to chill out there are rocking chairs and umbrellas next to the lake and its so quiet and peacful there. lovely gift shops and cafe's i loved it there but you only need half a day
  4. disneymom

disneymom Imagineer

isnt there a cinema there? is it an old one or one of those silly new fangled ones like at downtown disney?
  5. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

There is a cinema at Celebration.
    We`ve never been inside, although from the outside it has the appearance of on of the old type of cinemas like we had over here many years ago.
  6. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

The teeth whitening dentist I use :D
  7. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

Wasn't Celebration something to do with Disney?
  8. Slowhand

I believe that it was built by Disney as a community for their employees.
    The houses there have numerous restrictions placed on them regarding the amount of time they can remain unoccupied each year, the length of the grass in the lawn, etc.etc.
    Although it`s well worth a visit I don`t think I would like to live there, it seems too "clinical" to me. [But that`s just my humble opinion!]
  9. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

is it like small town America Tink?
  10. Slowhand

It`s more like a film set than "small town America" IMHO.
    It`s the only place I`ve been in the States where cars have actually stopped for me to cross the road!
  11. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

I love it there because it is so sterile :lol:

It does look a bit 'Stepford Wives' but I love those houses :D
  12. BigThunder

BigThunder a cool thingy

Well, it was built by Disney so I imagine it's got to be quite Disneyfied which is completely why I am fascinated by it. Houses are quite costly there if my memory of searching online years ago serves me right. It's a place I have wanted to at least cruise thru for years & never seem to get around to it.
  13. Tink

It was originally Disney built and organized, but for anyone who chose to (and who could afford to and would live by the extensive association rules) live there, not just employees. :)

There was a real scandal a few years ago when some of the most expensive homes there saw their wood working (door jambs, window sills, and the like) disintegrating. It seems the high priced builder had used a heavy grade CARDBOARD intstead of wood!! :eek: Lots of lawsuits...

The Disney corp turned the place over the residents a couple of years ago. The housing authority that governs the place is wicked restrictive. You can't have a pick up truck. You can't have your childrens toys in the yard, no bikes, no wagons, no balls, no badmitton nets, etc. Nothing. No clothes lines as they are things of the devil. :rolleyes: I can't remember them all, but there sure are tons of them. Oh, yeah only certain types of outdoor decorations can be used (and only during approved holidays...).

It's not really small town America. It is an aritificial construct. Small town America has a sense of community and at least some diversity. You don't see that there. It's more of a curiosity.

We looked at an apartment there when we first came to this area. We were so disappointed! We thought it might be fun to live there for a year or so, but the apartment was really ugly. :( We found much more for much less over by Metro West. :shrug:

Needless to say, we aren't fans of the place, but do go over when we have interest in an event they may be having.
  14. BigThunder

BigThunder a cool thingy

Oh wow! Can you imagine paying what these people did for the houses to find out the builder cut corners in a major cheapskate way! That's awful. I can remember that basically, when I looked up property, that we could afford a 2BR apt. for what we paid for our 5BR house, lol. Of course, we are in WV & this is in Celebration..location location location. But still. As much as I think it would be cool to live there, couldn't downsize that much, hehe.
    I knew Disney had sold it a few years back. I wondered if it would affect it adversely or not. I can only imagine how crazy strict their ordinances are.
    I'd never heard that it was built for employees before.
  15. Tink

Yeah, sticker shock is massive, isn't it? When we left the northeast we sold our 11 room house (over a hundred years old) for forty five thousand dollars. AND, we were happy to see it go! Imagine our utter shock when we got down here and found out we couldn't buy a trailer for that! :eek:
  16. BigThunder

BigThunder a cool thingy

The absolute biggest sticker shock I have ever had in my life was when we went to Southern California. I picked up house for sale guides just for fun but was shocked by what i saw. Absolute dumps were $200,000 & up. I think we decided for what we could get out of our house we could possibly afford a trailer. Possibly. Of course this was in Laguna Beach :D
  17. PsychoAlice

PsychoAlice Resident Anarchist

You cant have a pick up truck?

What the hell is that about?
  18. Tink

Not and park it in your driveway. You'd croak at all the restrictions, Sarah. I thought our HOA was bad, but that one is totally over the top.
  19. BigThunder

BigThunder a cool thingy

When we were looking at houses my favorite restriction was your garage door could only be open during garbage pick-up day & it was between a certain hour. One hour, once a week & that was it. When my kids were younger & played outside more that's how they'd go out, thru the garage. And they'd keep it up because all their toys & bikes & sidewalk chalk & stuff was in the garage. So that rule would have been a tough one for us:)
  20. candyman

candyman Earning my ears

as a thick english man can you please tell me what "sticker shock" is

oh and at christmas they have snow machines in celebration
    steve