1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

What's August like?

Discussion in 'General' started by Isafari, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

Anyone had any experience of the parks last two weeks of August?
    What are the crowd levels like?
    What's the weather like?

2. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

It's very hot and humid but the crowds are pretty low. They typically offer free dining during this period so the restaurants are usually crazy. We usually go this time of year.

3. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

I'll let you know when I get back. :D

4. BUTTERHEAD1

BUTTERHEAD1 Addicted to Mickey

I have gone the last two weeks of August for the last 5 years and Johnie hit it on the head. The parks are relatively light but the restaurants are a bit of a nightmare. If I were you I would make all dining reservations as soon as you can. It is extremely humid and very hot which makes the pool even more desirable especially at the end of the day. It rains just about everyday but usually not for very long.As long as there is free dining we will continue to go this time of year.

5. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

hot and humid

VERY hot and VERY humid

but the crowds are easy to deal with

oh! did I mention its very hot and humid?

6. Johnie

lol yes, it definately is hot and humid. Actually last Aug was quite pleasant compared to early Oct.

7. Mags

Mags Serious Forum Regular

Hot and humid as everyone has said but the crowds arent bad at all. I have always gone in those last two weeks but have noticed that the crowds have grown since the introduction of the free ddp. Having said that, all the usual rules apply, like getting to the parks early, making maximum use of the FPs, filling those water bottles all day long and making max use of the air con. We arent lovers of the heat but we still dont mind August and we're off again this year.

Margaret

8. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

Yep hot an humid although last year either the humidity dropped or we just got 'used' to it as the first few days seemed the worst. One thing I did notice about the weather an I don't know if it was just last year, is that we had a lot of lightening storms without any rain, this meant that the pools were shut a lot - especially in the afternoons.

Crowds were managable the middle of August and then dropped right off in the last week. Althoug you are used to Christmas so i wouldn't think you would have a problem.

I was really quite worried about going in August after always going in Sept/Oct but it wasn't bad at all and I would have no problem going again, which is a bit of luck seeing as we don;t have a lot of other options for the next few years! :lol:

9. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Thunderstorms that will drench you to the bone. They last from 10 to 40 minutes usually and right after they stop it is hotter and more humid if you can imagine. The pavements actually steam.

You'll need decent rain gear, and extra shoes. Don't even think about make up or "doing your hair." It's a clean face and hair off the neck sort of visit.

It's mosquito time too, so get some really good repellent. And get the very best sunscreen you can find. I know the ads tell us that they all are the same but that absolutely isn't so. You'll want one that doesn't torment you with stickiness in that heata and humidity.

You'll spend your days a little differently wanting to be out of the hottest or wettest part of the day which is usually between 11 and 4. (Or a portion thereof). Mornings are usually fine, as well as evenings, so those afternoon hours are good for the heavy dinner of the day (Like a Proper Irish! :D ) a rest (yes, because of the humidity and heat you will need more of a rest) and if you are lucky weather wise a dip in the pool. :yes:

The evening is great for returning to a park, having a light dinner/supper and enjoying the fireworks from whichever vantage point. You'll slick up with the mosquito repellent for sure in the evening. :yes:

To echo everyone else, the restaurants are ridiculously full, so service suffers mightily and so does the quality of the food. Herself has a birthday in August and we almost always went to a Disney restaurant. Last year was the end of that for us. When she was served an unedible dinner at California Grill, we decided we'd be taking our food dollars for those special dinners (and nearly any other dinner) elsewhere. :sigh:

Another thing that isn't often mentioned, but you will hear on the news, the lake and pond waters (still waters) will reach sustained temperatures of 80 degrees or more which will spawn a particular type of amoeba. That amoeba when entering the body ... no easy way to say this, causes death. :( We've lost some children in this immediate area because of them. So all that to say STAY OUT OF PONDS, and LAKES in the summer. STAY OUT. Disney does a VERY poor job of seeing that people stay out of their ponds, using only that little discrete sign "Stay out of the water."

Wow, guess that makes August sound horrible and I don't mean it too. It's just that to enjoy the visit, you'll need to do things a bit differently than you do during the winter visits. But you won't be wearing five layers!

10. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

i went a couple of years ago at the end of August and yes it was very hot, i found i got used to it after a couple of days with simple precautions. I tend to drink lots of water anyway but i found that gatorade/powerade type drinks seemed to pep me up a bit when really hot. Completely echo the rest at the hottest part of the day, i like to escape for a rest in our air conditioned room at that part of the day but i know others see this as a waste.

11. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

It's not a waste if it saves the rest of your day and holiday overall, eh Brit? :)

For someone who has never experienced the extreme humidity of Florida, it will literally ring you out like a wet dish cloth. It saps energy, effects appetite, and can lead to dehydration if you are not alert to the need for additional non alcoholic, and non caffienated drinks. :yes:

12. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/c-D9SPn1M0Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/c-D9SPn1M0Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

13. arkvilla

arkvilla Addicted to Mickey

Because of school holiday we always have to go in August and yes it's very hot & humid.

I take my hair straighteners but really it's a waste of time as it's frizzy as soon as you step outside!!

Far better to take a band and have a ponytail :yes:

We rarely eat in Disney restaurants and never have a problem getting a seat when we go out to dinner offsite.

Always carry water with you where ever you go

Sandra

14. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

Sandra what are the queues like?

15. BUTTERHEAD1

BUTTERHEAD1 Addicted to Mickey

A good thing about those afternoon storms is thats usually leads to a lot of people leaving which makes it a good time to head for the big rides. After reading a few posts here it would make me avoid going in August but I have been there during July and August 15 times and although it is hot it is bearable. You will sweat and you will need to drink a lot of water and to pop into the store for some A/C and like I said before you will definitely appreciate the pool.

16. Johnie

We usually make an ADR for late afternoon to avoid the hottest part of the day and the afternoon storm.

17. *Bambi-Belle*

*Bambi-Belle* Imagineer

August makes your hair go funny lol.

Hit the parks early then head back to the pool for a while and and up to the room for a wee siesta,then hit the parks again at night time.

The water parks are the most dangerous areas to be in August I feel. Not all the lines have shade and they often have long wait times. Sometimes it's easy to forget just how hot and strong the sun is while you are playing in the water. Even if you have good quality sun cream on there is always the danger of heat stroke.

18. *Bambi-Belle*

*Bambi-Belle* Imagineer

Oooh! I like this idea.:thumbsup:

Do you know What time lunch would end and dinner start for most places?

Thanks xx

19. Tinker

Tinker Earning my ears

I've been there the end of August and will be there this year for the pin event . :biggrin: It is very hot & humid with the occasion refreshing thunderstorm . Some times on only one side of the street, only at Disney . :lol: Crowds are light as well as quenues . Floridian children are back in school . Weekends are busier ! Do make your ADR's as others mentioned, free dining is offered and restaurants get booked fast .

20. arkvilla

arkvilla Addicted to Mickey

Queues are not too bad as the US children have gone back to school. We went for the whole of August last year and didn't do a single park :eek3:

Early Sept is even better as you get the lovely weather and UK children have then gone back to school so everywhere is pretty quiet and you don't have to queue.

For us Florida isn't about Disney ( we did that for the first few years ) it's a chance to relax and enjoy some sunshine and quality time to relax as a family.

Oh yes also it means I get time off from cooking everyday as it's so reasonable to eat out in the US. I always end up putting on a few pounds :eek:

I can't wait and our trip is the thing that keeps me going all year. I absolutely love our villa and would love to get there more often but flights are expensive so it's just the once a year which is very hard for me :yes: But we are blessed and I don't forget that.

Sandra