1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

what's been your worst flight?

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by keith, Jul 5, 2013.

1. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

have you had any nightmare flights?

I've had a few over the years :lol:

One were the chav couple behind decided they didn't like people reclining (even though the people in front of me were fully reclined meaning I had to recline a LITTLE just to be able to breathe) and full on threatened to have a fight.

SEVERAL where the parents of kids fell asleep or just sat there whilst the kids kicked seats, people and ran around causing trouble.

One with the now defunct sebena airlines who were notoriously bad, when a lady got on with a baby, two young children and a pushchair. All of whom were crying. One of the cabin crew came past and said "that pushchair needs to go in the hold" the women said "can I get my baby out of it first?" cabin crew shouted "30 seconds then you ALL go in the hold". They threw the pushchair out of the door and onto the tarmac and yelled at the woman to sit the ** down. She put on the light to ask for assistance to get some water, the crew turned the light off and told her if she did that again they'd throw the baby off and her after it. I got up to give her my bottle of water and one of the male crew came over told me that I'd be reported for causing a threat to the plane if I didnt sit down immediately, ripped the bottle out of my hand and threw it down the plane aisle towards the back (and they did actually report it! :lol: luckily the police knew what sebena was like so it wasn't a problem)

Last one I think was a very turbulent flight on the way back from Orlando. now I LIKE turbulence, it makes things less boring (weird since I hate thrill rides), but many on the plane were screaming and throwing up :( so the smell of sick... well you get the idea.

How about you?

2. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

I've had a couple, one where we had a really drunk man on the flight who kept drinking and the cabin crew did nothing until he threw up over a passenger.

We also had a very turbulent flight we had the seatbelt on for most of the flight there was really bad lightening and the plane kept dropping. There were kids crying people screaming it really was a nightmare :hide:

3. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

The last one was pretty bad! Before we even took off a girl 3 seats in front started throwing up and continued to do so for the entire flight. There was a guy sat behind me and from first sitting down he proceeded to dig his knees into my back. He was a wriggler too, despite me huffily changing position and looking back he did nothing to stop. If he hadn't have been about 80 I would have said something!

4. Shellyamc

Shellyamc Serious Forum Regular

WHAT?!?!?!?!:eek: My gosh I would have lost it...

5. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Keith, there was absolutely no excuse for that Sabena crew. Maybe that is why they no longer exist. I have to admit, I only flew Sabena one time and I was also NOT a happy camper. When I moved ot Germany in 1981 I had arranged to fly FC on TWA from DC - Frankfurt. Due to a major screw up by the company I was working for and a scheduled meeting in Brussels prior to me reporting in Germany they switched me to Sabena. I was told I would be flying Business Class. Well if that was Business Class then Sabena was truly the worst because I was clear in the back of the plane. When I arrived in Brussels I met the lady who would be my work colleague in Germany. She had come in on the precious day's Sabena flight and said that as they were approaching Brussels a piece of the wing fell off. Needless to say I'm quite happy I never had to fly with them again.

6. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Serious Forum Regular

Wow! Just wow! @ Sabena, that is truly disgraceful. Our worst flight was with Travel City, the other flights with them were good. The bad flight we had the cabin crew who for no reason at all took a dislike to DH???? He is the most polite person I know so we have no idea why they targeted him. He had his elbows on the seat rest and they jutted out a bit so the cabin crew took every opportunity to ram their cart at him. We didn't think much of it at first but as the flight went on and it kept happening I thought I would keep a look out for him. Sure enough the drinks trolley came out again... and I watched them take a run up to him and deliberately ram his arm with the cart. I lost it and let them have it. I was told I would be reported when they landed and all kinds of threats. The head cabin steward came out to iron things out but I didn't appreciate the cabin crew saying I was being abusive, I wasn't so I said to him "I'm not being abusive I'm just shouting louder than you and winning" "I'm just telling you what you're doing I'm not swearing and I'm not threatening you I'm just shouting louder than you can" Anyways it went bust soon after! LOL!

7. keith

good point! I was supposedly flying business class too but the whole plane was clearly just economy. Business class was obviously just a scam to catch more money from companies who would book it. I'd forgotten about that given the rest of the problems!

8. keith

yeah when i was flying a LOT for work I used to be on my own so watched what was going on and I feel that happens a lot. It's as if the cabin crew, not all of them of course, but many, seem to feel the plane is their domain and they're going to like some people and not others for no good reason.

It's like Wendy mentioned, we've been on flights where they keep giving alcohol to people who are obviously totally sozzled but yet can someone else get an aspirin? no chance. Virgin coming back from Orlando last time, a group of 4 lads started off by calling the cabin crew over and it was all "oh youre all so pretty, which perfume should we get from duty free. girlfriend? no but just in case we do..." blah blah blah. I swear, the cabin crew couldn't have got more alcohol down those lads if they'd have attached an IV to a lake of vodka. They were over there constantly with bottles of this and that, then the guy in front of us gently said, as one of them went past with more bottles for the lads at the back, "excuse me miss but do you think I could get a drink of water to take my tablets", you should've seen the look she gave him! followed by "you can serve yourself you know? just go to the galley and get some."

Weird isnt it? I mean I like some people and don't like others but I'm professional and deal with both equally when I'm at work!

9. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

I prefer the older cabin crew,
    I think they tend to sort the wheat from the chaff and if you sit still and ask nicely they're very accommodating

10. keith

definitely agree :yes: It's the BA Way (or it used to be), they worked their way up the ranks and by the time they reached business or 1st they'd weeded out the bad ones and all that was left was excellent service

Not traveled on BA in years but the way Virgin are going, I'll be checking BA out again soon

11. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

That's why I like BA more plus I think virgins trolley dollies put the liberation of women back 30 years. Now perfect world put cruise ship stewards on flights- they were amazing. Never had to ask for anything yet didn't make you feel intimidated

12. keith

I still need to read your cruise trip report! came at a busy time at work so I didn't get a chance.. off to read :D

13. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

It was only brief .. I was really busy at the time too so didn't go into detail

14. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Serious Forum Regular

Honestly how many people know they can go to the galley to help themselves? They don't exactly advertise it and when you do go back there they give you the evils and yank that curtain across so you can't go through anymore. You can't win. Pulls out soapbox and jumps on.... and another thing.... when you can get back there where the hell is everything? Have you seen it back there? I daren't touch anything in case I end up deploying the escape chute or something!

15. keith

yeah absolutely insane. We're herded on, sat down, meals and drinks rolled out as soon as they can so they can spend the rest of the flight gabbing between themselves. As you say, if we go back to the galley its that awkward uh oh annoying passenger here moment.