1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

What's my best option?

Discussion in 'General' started by Isafari, May 29, 2010.

1. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

This will be the first year we have been to Florida in the summer (August)
    I often hear stories of parades etc being cancelled in the afternoon because of rain.
    Would I be better off taking a nice rain jacket with hood with me / buying one of those cheap park ponchos / relying on a brolly?

Will I be bothered with mosquitos in late August?
    What about the lovebugs that I've heard about?
  2. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

If the parade is rained off then it's party at my villa. :D
  3. daveann

daveann Addicted to Mickey

Izzy you will be to hot in a rain jacket stick with a poncho :)
  4. arkvilla

arkvilla Addicted to Mickey

I was going to say exactly the same thing - come see me :thumbsup:

Sandra
  5. Isafari

cool :thumbsup:

Thanks Ann. So, I'll just buy a poncho at the first need to do so :thumbsup:

Yay....I'll have plenty to do in the rain then :yes::thumbsup:
  6. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Yes, you are going to need mosquito repellent. They are vicious in August. So are the tiny stinging gnats referred to locally as "no see 'ums" as they are to tiny to notice until they've done their damage.

The rain will NOT cool things off, regardless of what you may be told. You'll need a poncho or something along those lines, but know that the whole time you have it on you will be melting from the heat. The real purpose of a poncho is to sit on once the rain has stopped and everything is covered in water. If you can find a flannel lined rain jacket, that would be the most comfortable as it keeps the plastic/vinyl from your skin. However, wherever the rain jacket ends, you'll be soaked. An umbrella is good as long as the wind doesn't get fierce. I use one because I wear glasses and HATE getting them all wet and blurry.

You'll want a small towel or facecloth with you too. :yes: They come in handy for wetting or wrapping around ice to use to cool off.

I carry a pretty precisely packed backpack for the summer months, just because of the heat, humidity, rain and stingin/biting bugs.

Be sure your footwear is something you don't mind getting wet, because you will definitely get your feet wet during the rain. I used to use Crocs, but don't anymore. I just carry a small pair of thongs and when the rain starts switch to them quickly to keep my shoes/trainers/socks dry.
  7. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

omg i wont ever go in august then thats for sure...was thinking about it for a 3 weeker sometime :(
  8. Tink

It can be really brutal, Mick. The temperatures are in the high 80s mid 90s with humidity in the 110 and higher percentile. That means that you'll perspire until you are running rivulets off your body, and it won't evaporate because there is too much humidity in the air.

Summer months here are really like winter months elsewhere. You stay indoors, and hide with the AC. If you have to go out, you plan to do so in the early morning when you can breathe and the chance of the fierce thunderstorms are less.

Standing water create mosquito hoards, and the non-sea water lakes and ponds reach temperatures above 80 degrees which then breeds those deadly amoebas.

Seriously, Florida in the summer time is not necessarily an attractive place. :sorry:
  9. arkvilla

My Jai spends the whole of our holiday looking for shade...

It is very humid and Tink is right - you always feel sticky and hot.

We are stuck with school holidays, otherwise we'd choose a different time to visit

Sandra
  10. ukwdwnut

im ok with high temps like that but the humidity would kill me i cant breath with the steam from a hot bath so thats a defo nono for me then. 3 weeker will have to be easter then, would luv to go at christmas but hate it if it was cold, i dont do cold :lol:
  11. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

If DW sees me typing this she'll sulk but August time is the only time I won't go. OK this is just me, loads of people, DW included, love those months.

I couldnt even venture outside without struggling to breathe, mouth full of bugs when I did, biting insects all over.

I remember making a REAL effort to go to the studios. I carried enough ice water and was well prepared nevertheless, waiting for the bus to come was awful. Finally got there and immediately bought one of those fans with water spray from outside the gates. Soon as I got it, I sprayed the water on my face and it felt like thousands of little pins sticking into my face.

Nope, not my time of year at all.
  12. Tink

Those mister fans are the worst! You are already sweaty, sticky and downright wet. Those fans just add more water to your poor body and don't do anything to cool it off! Then you are stuck carrying the silly thing around. :sigh:

Yep August (and July too, if we're being fair) is just not a nice month. This July is reportedly going to be quite nasty. :D :D :D :laugh: :sorry:
  13. ukwdwnut

and people on here say last 2 weeks in august is a good time to go!!
  14. Isafari

oh joy! :unsure:

Thanks for the great advice Tink.......not really what I wanted to hear though!!! :lol:

I only usually carry a teeny tiny bumbag with me for the day. Looks like I will be looking for something bigger so that I can have a survival kit! :yes:

Still looking forward to it though :thumbsup:
  15. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

It's all personal preference, I'm not a sun worshipper at the best of times. December in Orlando is my perfect time whereas others would say it's too cold!

DW would go in August and absolutely love it
  16. Tinkfan

Tinkfan Earning my ears

How is it at the end of November to the beginning of December? It's really cold at home sooo...? We want to make ressies to see the decorations, will we need shorts or pants lol?
  17. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Tink's right about all this. :yes:

Florida in July and August can be brutal. The daily rains that seem to come at exactly noon and 5PM do absolutely nothing to cool things off. In fact, it's usually worse after them because the moment it stops raining, you'll see steam rising up from the pavement. Walking around in that is exactly like walking around in a sauna. :mental:

However, Love Bugs aren't usually an issue at that time of year. They emerge in the Spring and Fall, usually May and September and are most annoying if you're driving your own car the front end of which will be almost black from mowing down the annoying little critters.

Tom :)macwave:... all steamed up!)
  18. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

There's really no way to tell in advance. Since you're from western NY (Geneva, Canandaigua, Seneca Falls, Phelps?), you probably won't notice the cold like us Southerners do, but....

My DW and I used to go to WDW the day after Christmas and stay through New Years. There were years we went that there wasn't a day under 80 degrees. Other years, there wasn't a day above 55. There's just no way to tell. We finally gave up on trying to out guess it and started packing both our winter clothes and our summer clothes. Made for a lot of suitcases! :ROFL:

Tom :)macwave:... hot, cold, hot, cold, who can tell?)
  19. arkvilla

I went end of November last year and our first few days were so cold I had to go and buy jumpers and then the rest of the holiday it was high 70's or low 80's....

Evenings cooled a bit so take a jacket

Sandra
  20. tb2830

tb2830 Addicted to Mickey

i thought it was perfect

weather wasnt that bad just the rain annoyed me