1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Question What's you very favorite vacation?

Discussion in 'General' started by catrancher, Jan 3, 2014.

1. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Oh, I know. This is a Disney site and that's fine. We're all Disney fanatics here. But sometimes, it's nice to go other places too? What's your favorite? :unsure:

It can still be Disney. Disney World, Disneyland, or Disney Cruise Line. Maybe even Adventures by Disney. Or it can be something else entirely. A trip to Hawaii perhaps? A European river cruise?

So, what is it? What's your very favorite? Not ones you'd "like" to do someday. But ones you've actually done. Don't be shy. We may all learn something.

Tom ( :macwave:... enquiring minds want to know!)

2. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

I'll go first to get us started.

My DW and I used to go to WDW every year. Then, when she retired from teaching in 2003, we took our first Disney Cruise.

That was it. We were hooked. :yes:

Now, our favorite vacation is to take a Disney Cruise. Don't really care where it's going. For our money, they could just take the ship out in the ocean and cruise in circles. It's the best, most relaxing vacation we've ever had.

The only rushing around to be done is to get from one meal to the next. :exit:

Suits us much better now that we're not quite as young and spry as we used to be.

Tom ( :macwave:... older and I hope wiser.)

3. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

I am sad to say that the holiday we went on for my 40th birthday was the best holiday I have ever had.

We went to LA, Vegas, Hawaii and San Francisco.

The highlight for me though was Hawaii. I fell in love with the island of Oahu and I cried when the plane took off to go to San Francisco. It was such a diverse island, there was so much to see and do and the 6 days we were there was not enough. The Hawaiians are so friendly and they seem happy. On the bus someone would always start to sing. For me it truly was paradise.

I ask myself if the feeling I felt when we got to the hotel and looked out onto the beach, was the same as when I walked into the Magic Kingdom. I couldn't choose between them.

I have been very lucky, there were two places that I always wanted to go from a very young age and I have been to both :)

Watchinherskip and Beccaberry like this.
  4. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

Very nice, catrancher! Love this thread.

Jon and I LOVE to travel. And although we've not been to many far and away places, we have big plans...someday. For me, choosing my favorite destination is like choosing my favorite child...it's impossible.

So, I'll give you two of our favorite destinations (taking Disney out of the equation for now):
    1) Killington, Vermont - I love Vermont. LOVE. IT. Years ago, Jon and I drove up there for our first "weekend date" and we've been going back every year, several times a year. There's not a season we don't love, but we're partial to summers there - especially during the Wine Festival. We've found a lovely inn there called The Red Clover Inn, and the people who work there have become family. The chef and I have struck up a particularly close friendship, and whenever we visit he always creates the most AMAZING meals for us. I visit when I'm happy, I visit when I'm stressed, I visit whenever I can...it's just one of those places that makes my soul happy.

2) Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario - We took a road trip up to Canada this summer, and happened upon this little gem quite by accident. Situated about 20 miles beyond the hustle and bustle of the more tourist oriented Niagara Falls area, this place is a little slice of heaven. It's about 90% vineyards and wineries and is beautiful and lush and full of old world charm. We stayed at a restored Georgian mansion and spent our evenings in Adirondack chairs watching the sun set over the vineyards with a lovely glass of red wine. Life doesn't get much better than that, I tell ya.

*sigh* I feel that wanderlust coming on again...

Watchinherskip likes this.
  5. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

WDW is my favorite. I like to be busy on vacation. I also love going to the beach but I can't do a remote beach location for a week. I need to do stuff

6. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Serious Forum Regular

Tobago, it is absolute heaven there. The lagoons are just beautiful and snorkelling off Buccoo Reef was fantastic, I have never seen such beautiful fish in all my life. We took a boat to some Island Blanc Island I think it was called where it was all powdery white sand and heaven on a stick. It was gorgeous to just float around in the turquoise sea which was so clear you could see your feet and the sand underneath.

7. BUTTERHEAD1

BUTTERHEAD1 Addicted to Mickey

I have traveled to the Caribbean a few times, and to California and Arizona several times and I loved them all but Disney is my favorite vacation by far. My second favorite place to go is a small town down the Jersey Shore called Ocean Beach III. I rent a bungalow for 1 or 2 weeks and spend that time in the Ocean and grilling for lunch and dinner. It is a great family place. We werent able to go last year due to the fact that Hurrican Sandy wiped out most of the houses but they should be back up and running by next summer.

8. robertcraig

robertcraig Serious Forum Regular

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    My favourite. Holiday is a few days at St AUGUSTINE and the rest at Wdw

9. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

This is a tough one. I'm torn between a few trips:

1) Orlando 2004 - this was my first solo trip anywhere and it was the time I realised Orlando was my 'spiritual home'.

2) America 2011 - Started in Washington (loved it), drove to Philadelphia (loved that) and finally two weeks in Orlando, where I finally got to see a shuttle launch after four previous attempts.

3) America 2013 - Started with a really special trip around California and ended with a week in Orlando.

Pass... any of them would qualify, plus probably half a dozen more. Sorry!

10. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

I guess my favorite vacation so far is our Disney Cruise in 2005 with some really wonderful friends. We had a great time and enjoyed every moment both on and off the ship. I and two of our friends went para-sailing, spent some leisure time on Castaway Cay and even got selected to participate in one of the on board shows.

11. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I haven't travelled much on holiday other than WDW to be honest! I've travelled a bit on business but that's not the same.

My problem is work. It's stressy, very stressy and always has been so it's really hard for me to relax on holiday with phones beeping all the time etc. SO I think my favourite holiday would be WDW and two instances really stand out.... one in may when we stayed at port orleans riverside. We'd stayed there before but this particular time was a month in between companies so I just had nothing going on but enjoyment of the holiday. My phone didn't beep, no sinking feelings when I read emails :lol: and all just nice and relaxing. We sailed up and down to downtown disney with nowhere to be and just enjoyed it.

The other was going back to the same villa we've stayed at many times now and feeling like "we're home!" as we pulled up onto the drive.

12. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

mmm i've liked all my vacations for different reasons. I think though that road trips have to be my favourite, I like to see things off the beaten track.

13. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

My second favorite vacation would be our trip to the UK. We both absolutely loved it and we had two of the most fantastic tour guides in Slowhand and Wendy, both of whom treated us like royalty.

14. robertcraig

robertcraig Serious Forum Regular

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    Although FLORIDA is my favourite I have had some great holidays.Rhodes,Amalfi coast Italy,Algarve Portugal,Frejus south of France,Barcelona Cyprus,Majorca and. Must not forget my honeymoon at Ostend Belgium

15. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

Wow, Robert! How well traveled you are! I envy that!

16. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

Now Tom don't sell yourself short...I have seen you crewing a 12 meter so....come on man.

Wow, how did I not know or remember that you were a teacher? I knew I really liked you! DW and I have been teaching for 34 years! Guess we could retire any day we want. We too love to take a cruise. DW actually thought about exchanging our Disney Visa for a Royal Caribbean one but they have a fee. We have saved enought Disney dollars to cover the past few trips primarily using our Visa for everything and paying it off monthly. Never carry a balance (anymore, was pretty tough starting out as a teacher, sometimes needed to use card to make it to the next paycheck).

We have a good start for the next WDW trip. My brother wanted us to meet him in California (he has a conference) and experience Disneyland.

We are always ready to take a cruise again, we have done the Bahamas, Western Carib, and Southern Carib curises as well as Alaska. Think it would be fun to do one of those Viking cruises in Europe's rivers.

Oh and Ireland, have to get to the old sod sometime and get in touch with my roots.