1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Whats your disney story?

Discussion in 'General' started by Britchick, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

When did you first go to a disney park? how old were you? who did you go with? how and where did you stay? how did you get to go?

My first trip was to WDW at the beginning of October 1997 it wasn't supposed to be a trip to disney at all, just a family holiday to florida, how could you go all that way and not go? It was something i had wanted to do since i knew it existed but for our family was not soemthing we could have afforded. Jon had been several times as his Dad worked for BA and got cheap flights, he knew i would like it but i'm certain he didn't anticipate the monster he would create!

I went with dh (Jon) and Daniel (britsboy) who was 3 at the time. My sil worked for virgin at the time and we only had to pay the tax on the flights, we were only supposed to be going to stay over in Englewood on the west coast in a friend of Jon's Dad's villa. We flew to Miami which i was really nervous about as we had had all the crime horror stories back in the UK, i wasn't very confident then. Luckily Jon had been to the US many times and he did the organising. We got a green dodge neon and drove to the Thunderbird resort which was on the beach. http://www.thunderbirdresortmiami.com/gallery.asp#

we spent a couple of days there getting over the jet lag, shopping and sun worshipping and then drove over to Englewood via Alligator Alley.

We spent a week in a beautiful villa with Jon's dad and Jon's sister and her husband. We searched for sharks teeth and danced to the sound of steel drums at Sharkeys on the Pier, Venice beach.We searched for Harrison Ford's beach house on Boca Grande. Jon's Dad even hired a plane and took the boys flying. They left and went back home via Miami but we drove up to Orlando. It seemed quite a long journey at the time, now though 3-4 hours for us is nothing.

before we went i had bought this - http://experiencedbooks.com/web/abk/bCBU-008607 read it cover to cover and had a plan!

First we went to Sea World, of course we loved it, i didn't expect it to be as good as Disney but i thought it was. We sat in the splash zone in the Shamu stadium and Daniel wanted to feed the sharks in the big aquarium!

When we got to the Magic Kingdom they had that awful hideous birthday cake castle so i was a little disapointed but i was there and at least i could say i had seen the monstrosity. The favourite ride was 'the cars' this has now become an eternal favourite. I couldn't get over the fact i had to queue 45 mins for Dumbo. Our first character encounter was in Toon town, we queued for an hour and Daniel wouldn't even say hello to Mickey Mouse, he was scared of him :lol:

Daniel sat on Daddy's shoulders to watch the fireworks at Magic Kingdom but our favourite were the Epcot fireworks and we claimed our space on the bridge between England and France.

MGM memories include Daniel and Jon playing skee ball in the Planet Pizza Arcarde, Daniel loved Toystory as it had just come out then.

Of course i was hooked, we had only stayed there for 4 days but i couldn't wait to get back, i bored everyone that would listen (well i think they were listening!) with how wonderful it was and vowed to go back.

Unfortunately that wasn't to happen for another 4 years but that was for a good reason - Caitlin who was born in 1998.

2. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

I had wanted to go since I was at school, I remember doing a project about WDW in geography :D

DH had been the year I met him with his family, so when we were planning our honeymoon for 1995 there was nowhere else considered. We booked a fly drive through virgin and a villa through Loot magazine. The villa was in Sunridge Woods in Davenport, it was the height of luxury for us as we had a tiny 2 bedroomed starter home here. I remember we had a 4 day hopper pass for Disney, we went to Universal, Seaworld, KSC, Gatorland shopping etc.

We did our first character meal which was in Tony's Town Square - it was Belle's Homecoming Dinner and it featured Belle, White Rabbit, Mr Smee among others - we just decided to walk in and got a table - can you imagine! :lol:

We went again in 1996 with family and friends staying at the same villa again and then it was 6 years and 2 children later before we went again in 2002 staying onsite for the first time which was very exciting.

If anybody had told us back in 1995 that one day we would stay onsite, do a disney cruise and even have DVC membership I would never have believed them - dreams happen :yes:

3. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

My ex and I were living overseas. In 1984 we came back on vacation and had purchased a flight hopper ticket and we hopped all over the country. She was from California so that was one of our stops. A cousin (I thiink) worked for Disneyland and she gave us two tickets good for one day. I was 36 years old at the time. Oddly I don't really remember too much about it.

4. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

i have just used my scrapbook pages of that time to jog my memory, a great reason to journal your thoughts methinks!

5. PsychoAlice

PsychoAlice Resident Anarchist

Disneyland December 16 1973, I was 2 weeks old..I dont remember anything!

But in all seriousness I was raised at Disneyland. My family went to Disneyland many times during the year...every year. I may get a little misty here just thinking about growing up going to Disneyland with my family. Many times with my grandparents. I remember sitting on the train for HOURS with my grandfather (he LOVED trains and LOVED to just sit on it going around and around. I kick myself now that I just didnt want to do that when I was a teenager.) Even if I was afraid of Dinosaurs (there is a dinosaur thing in the loop at Disneyland and I would bury my face into my grandpa's chest.) Watching the Country Bears and the Tiki Birds with my grandma. I miss my grandparents but I am thankful for them taking my family and me there to help with the love that everyone that comes into the family thinks is crazy!

Now Disney World. August 1998. My mom took my kids and me for 10 days. Stayed at Fort Wilderness Cabins. Got to ride the Ambulance ride straight to Celebration Hostpital...what a great hospital!

Now since my grandparents have passed my mom thought it would be wonderful to purchance DVC (320 points) with our inheritance....So now there are MANY trips to Disney planned. Including a HUGE trip planned for 5-6 years with all the kids and our kids!

However my mom still owes me a trip to Disney World with just her and I!

6. Claire

Claire She lost the crayons!

It was 1988 and I was 21.

I had an insurance policy that my parents set up at my birth to be paid out when I reached 21. My brother, being the sensible one, used his to buy a car. I blow mine on 3 weeks in Florida. I have wonderful memories. My brother's car caught fire. Who's the sensible one now!

We stayed (an ex and I) in Orlando for one week around 192 somewhere, can't remember the exact place. In that week we did MK, Epcot (the only parks open then!) and Wet and Wild. We also did a park called Boardwalk and Baseball which is shut now.

The second week we stayed at the Howard Johnson in Key Largo. Our original plan was to drive back down to Miami where we flew into as I'd never heard of Orlando International Airport, return the car, a Mustang Convertible, and get an internal flight to either New York or LA but prices were scary! So we extended the car hire and headed for the Keys. Third week was spent in a fabulous little B&B in Key West. This was, at the time, my favourite part of the holiday. I still remember the night we had a fantastic dinner on a balcony overlooking Duval St followed by a drink at Sloppy Joe's. Hemingway's house and a diving museum are still fresh in my memory as is the little Conch train ride we used to take.

7. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

Disneyland, 1955, two weeks after the grand opening. I was three years old and remember a few high points and terrorizing points! :lol: The parking lot tram seats faced outward and I was afraid of falling off. What can I say? Three-year-old memory! :lol:

Essentially, I grew up at and with Disneyland until I officially moved from California in 1978. PA took over for me at that point! :wink:

We visited Disneyland several times each year, usually when we had guests from out of state. When I graduated to a driver's license, Leu and I usually went nearly every month, taking her DS and DD when they arrived on the scene. General admission was $2 for adults and free for the under-three set at the time, so it was pretty inexpensive. Sometimes we purchased a ticket book, other times we used old tickets (mostly A, B and C tickets) and occasionally didn't go on any attractions requiring a ticket! We just relaxed and enjoyed the atmosphere. :)

In 1981, I visited WDW for the first time, sandwiched between two legs of business trip over Labor Day weekend. MK was the only park, with EPCOT under construction. I was a wee bit disappointed in MK after Disneyland (you'll have to visit both to understand the differences--no spoiler today!), but still enjoyed the overall experience.

Fast forward to 2003 (Yep! 22 years between visits!) when the FTP was offered and I talked Leu into going. It was something we always wanted to do from the time Walt Disney announced the concept of Walt Disney World in the 1960s. And we finally did! :D

8. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

i only found out about wdw in the very late 90's. so in late 99 we decided to book for oct 2000 and went with a scottish family we met whilst holidaying in cornwall for about 5yrs. we flew virgin, stayed in a villa in sunridge woods at the bottom of old lake wilson, the first ever park we did was sea world but magic kingdom was the first disney park we ever went to. ever sinve ive been totally hooked and cant ever imagine not visiting ever again. we went in 2002, 2004, booked for 2006 and had to cancel, because i got made redundant but would have had to anyway as i got diagnose with this serious lung condition in the september a month before due to go and i was yearning to get back for 4 yrs and finally got my wish 4 weeks ago :D now im sad as i dont know when the next visit will be :(

9. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

I actually went to DL when I was very young. I have vague memories of getting a Goofy hat, riding IASW, walking around, and riding HM. I was so terrifed of HM. The candle scene that glides down on the hall on it's own scared the, you know what, out of me. I also remember hearing lots of different languages.

10. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

it's great to read these, thanks guys :hug:

right now............anymore :wiggle:

11. BevW

BevW Addicted to Mickey

I agree BC..these are wonderful trips down memory lane.

My first trip was to Disneyland (1959/60) and I think I was around 5 or 6. My Mom told me I saved all my allowance in a jar, and I carried that jar all over Disneyland. Never spent any of it though.
    We drove from Kentucky (where my Dad was stationed at the time) and it was one of those "Vacations across the US" type thing.

I remember being in line for Dumbo, and it broke down...let me tell you, that put a damper on my trip :)

12. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Well I was born 9 days after WDW was officially opened. I grew up with a WDW lunchbox and have always loved all things Disney. My parents said WDW was too expensive so we never went.

My very first trip to WDW was in March 1996. I went with my grandma and Alysia to celebrate her 5th birthday. We payed too much but thought we were getting a deal :tongue: We stayed at Dixie Landings for 3 nights. We had a wonderful time.

I didn't get back till 2002. I've been making up for lost time ever since :thumbsup:

13. Disneybumble

Disneybumble The Secret is in the Sauce.

I had always wanted to go to America since being a little girl. Then the Disney Bug set in. So in 1990 age 19 myself and the future Mr Bumble went in the September.We flew with Thompsons and they stopped in Maine to refuel We stayed along the 192. Can't remember what it was called.
    . We went to MK, Epcot and MGM which was very new. We also did Universal , Sea World and KSC. We were blown away and booked to go back in 1991 as soon as we got back.
    However we decided to get married so the trip was cancelled. We got married in 1992 and went for 3 weeks on our honeymoon. We stayed for two weeks in the Delta Orlando (which is now a car park at Universal). We then stayed for a week in Clearwater. Will never forget sitting on the balcony watching dolphins in the sea.
    Then unfortunately we didn't get back to WDW until 2003. This time with the 3 cherubs. We had been to DLRP in 98 but it just wasn't the same. We went in 2003 and the babies were 10,7 and 3. We flew indirect with Delta and stopped at Atlanta which worked out great. We stayed in a villa in Southern Dunes. To far out for us. We loved it all however, and we got to go to Animal Kingdom for the first time. We also had our first adr's at Crystal Palace and Norway with those Princess. I had no idea you had to pre book these things and fortunately we got to go.
    We then went again in 06 and the cherubs were 13, 10 and 6. Once again it was great. I had learnt about adrs. So at 180 days out i booked the castle. We also did Dine with Shamu at SW. We stayed at a villa in Seasons which is near MT along the back of the 192. It was pure luxury with huge TV's and just gorgeous.
    I don't know when we hope to go again. It is just down to finance. We are now 4 adult fares and that plays such a huge part of the final costs.

14. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

Ok, for me the first Disney experience didn't happen at Disney! New York 1964 (a mere lad just turned 7) held the World's Fair. My mom took me on the two hour bus tour with her place of employment (a women's shoe factory in NE PA) to the WF.

It was there that I first saw the sights that stayed with me a lifetime:
    The Ford ride back into the days of Dinosaurs
    The GM ride to the space exploration (I had dreams and daydreams about that ride for YEARS)
    The Its a Small World Ride
    GE's Carousel of Progress
    Coke a Cola's walk through the wold (I loved that place an wanted to live in it..you walked through a Mediterranean fishing village, a Swiss mountain top village, a misty rain forest, of course there were coke bottles everywhere!

I know I am missing some, like Johnson's Wax place and a few others, but it was sort of like Epcot.

FF to 1987 - first tirp to WDW - lovely stay at Disney Inn, further stays at Boardwalk (my favorite trip - DD was 6 and SOOOOOO into Disney), Poly, PORFQ, and the last trip (but not really the last tirp - the good Lord willing) to CBR.

15. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

we were born in the right year :thumbsup: i think i've been making up for lost time too! do you think we'll ever get over it?

16. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

It is currently the Shades of Green (for Dept of Defense) right near the Poly. I think it was once the Disney Golf Resort or something like that.

17. Shellyamc

Shellyamc Serious Forum Regular

I had always wanted to go to Disney World and I used to get so mad at friends would give me that "we are going to Disney again over break." We were amusement park people, but we just didn't do big trips like that. If my Dad could drive there in a day, then we went.

So fast forward. It was October 2000. I was 21 and Dh was 24 and it was our honeymoon. I had won a trip to Hawaii that we could have taken, but Dh knew I had my heart set on WDW, and he just loved me that much. So we went for 14 days and stayed at the All Star Music. We knew nothing about Disney, but somehow everything worked out. We had lots of sit down dinners and character meals without so much as a reservation, never missed a parade or fireworks show, and just in general had the trip of a lifetime!! We even got to stand in front of the partner’s statue watching the kiss goodnight with no one around like it was just for us. That is a memory we will always hold dear. I cried when we left for FL watching my parents standing in the window (pre 9-11), and I cried when we got on the plane to come back home.

We went again in 2005 and had another wonderful trip. We planned to go again in 2007, but little Katelyn Rose came the end of 2006 and we put those plans on hold. Now we wait for #2 and ponder our plans for 2009.

18. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I hope not!

19. BevW

BevW Addicted to Mickey

Nope, you never get over it, you just go to work for the Mouse :lol: