1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

What's your Opinion of Photopass Sharing

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World' started by Wendy, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Excuse me whilst I rant :anxious: things don't make me mad very often but photopass sharing really annoys me. I know that people photopass share, ok if it is two families that are there together I can see the point, but honestly there is a group on another site that has 14 people sharing one photopass in July/August!

It's people like this that are going to ruin this for everyone else, I am fully expecting Disney to go down the route of the photopass+ so that only one card can be used per account, which will cause problems for families that split up at the parks. Also, if there is a time limit on them people like us that go for 3 weeks or so are going to completely lose out.

What do you think about it, do you think it's wrong, or don't you see anything wrong with it :shrug: I'd just be interested to see what others think, or if it is just me :)

2. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

It's been happening for years. I've shared a photo pass on several occasions. I actually participated on a large share with strangers back when it was first introduced. I have no guilt about it.

3. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

Do you mean many families sharing one card?

4. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

14 people!!!???

That's taking the pee. I don't agree with that at all.

5. Wendy

Yes Vikki, 14 families. I think it's disgusting :nono:

6. Suebeattie

Suebeattie Addicted to Mickey

I think its wrong for that many people to share it.
    We'll be sharing ours with my brother and his family but they are going to 1 disney park so not worth buying a photo pass.

:wiggle:

7. Wendy

You are different Sue, its family. I think the photo pass is good value but I guess there are always the ones that want something for very little or nothing at all :sigh:

8. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

It's fraud/theft and absolutely don't agree with it.

From a personal point of view, people who abuse schemes like this end up costing us all money. Disney won't lose out, they'll work out how much it's costing them, how much they charged and will raise their charges accordingly. That's another problem quite apart from the moral one, it's such a short sighted thing to do because we all end up paying more in the end.

Whether we work producing a "thing" or providing a service, we wouldn't want someone to scam us by taking 14 times what they've paid for so it boggles my mind why people would try it on like that. If the $99 or whatever it was is too much in their opinion then they should a) not buy it b) tell disney why.

I *CAN* see the joint holiday thing though where the families are always together. The right thing to do would still be to buy two cards but every time would need two swipes and so on so I get why those folks do it.

9. Johnie

I don't think it's stealing. There are typically only 2 people in my vacation party. I have purchased a photo pass when it was 5 of my family together. But, every other photo pass share that I have done has been with friends who happen to be there at the same time. I don't think it's wrong nor do I consider that stealing.

Disney obviously doesn't think it's stealing. Where does it say that only 1 family can use it? And how would you prove others aren't in your family? Disney is also a huge place for family reunions.

10. Suebeattie

Suebeattie Addicted to Mickey

The thing is ive heard somewhere that the official disney photographers will take pictures with your own camera. Im sure when we went a few years ago we had photos with all of us but on my camera.
    If not im sure youll always be able to find someone in the public that would take one - that costs nothing!

:wiggle:

11. keith

oh I thought you said " I actually participated on a large share with strangers back when it was first introduced. I have no guilt about it. " :/

Well it's really not about proof or how easy it is to get away with it. I think it's pretty obvious that Disney don't intend the scheme to be one person buys a card and shares it with loads of other people. They say all over the place, "family", and they very definitely DON'T say "and hey feel free to buy one card between 14 strangers"

Hey I'm not losing sleep over it, it's for everyone to do whatever they like :) and it's for Disney, not me, to stop it but yeah to me it's fraud, simple as that.

12. keith

And that's a very very good point indeed! :yes:

The Disneypass photographers have always been nothing short of brilliant. Even when they're busy, they've offered to take photos with my camera and I see them doing the same for loads of people.

Sometimes I look at Disney charges and schemes and just can't believe how silly but photopass has always seemed like a good idea, pretty sensibly priced.

Goes to show though, you could offer a service at $1 and you'd still get people trying to get it for nothing.

13. Johnie

Well the people I did the first photo pass with we're strangers. We did get to know each other through the beauty of the Internet.

I think fraud is a harsh word. It's a loop hole that Disney has not fixed. Disney even allows you to buy more than one disk when you upload your photos. As for the word "family". Well that's a whole other thing.

I do think there are many things that people do that they shouldn't post about on the Internet

14. Mags

Mags Serious Forum Regular

I am an avid reader of just about every Disney forum there is but only post on a few. The one thing I have noticed about photopass shares is that so many of them end up being a recipe for disaster. The organiser has been known to disappear without trace and others dont receive their photos. I have seen so many fall outs with disappointed contributors that I would never get involved. I wouldn't mind sharing with family but no one else. 14 is a real recipe for disaster.

Mags

15. keith

yeah indeed :/ it's a bad idea from a practical point of view as well!

I know it may be easy to get away with but like I say, such a short term selfish view. As we know, Disney always try and avoid ruining the experience by digging too deeply, but equally we know all they do instead is put the prices up to take account of the cheats.

16. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

It might not be fraud but I consider it selfish. At the end of the day we all end up paying more for these things because people abuse the system. :nono:

Before photopass if I wanted a photo of Adrian and myself together I'd simply ask a CM or a nice passer by. Never a problem.

17. Vikki

Until this thread came up on here it was something I hadn't ever even considered..... ;)

18. Vikki

Not that I am going to share, I like to be in control ;):D

19. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I think it's wrong. :shrug: Sharing a photopass account, even with families coming together for a reunion can be seen as overstepping the intent. Now, if you have a family visiting you (as in Sue's case) for a day and they are included in your photopass, that's not the same thing.

Disney will come down with restrictive corrections on this as soon as they can find a way to do so and yes, those honest people who participated in the program keeping to the INTENT of the program will be the ones to suffer.

Disney is expensive, and it's good to find ways to get the best value, but those "ways" really shouldn't include trying to get something for nothing.

Wasn't the mug program a good example? It used to be when it first started, buy the mug and it's "good for life." Disney WANTED you to bring the mug back, because let's face it. That mug couldn't travel without you! So, coming back and having some free soda was fine.

Then people started with the ripoff mentality, passing mugs around, getting one and using it to fill other drink containers, ect.

Now, we're down to length of stay and that's that... A cute little program ruined because of too many people wanting something for nothing.

"Well, Disney didn't say you couldn't do it..." doesn't fly with me. Just because there isn't a specific prohibition against something doesn't mean you should do it. Disney doesn't say you can't let your kid urinate in the bushes, but do you really want little kids doing that?

20. Vikki

Well said :)