1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

When did you Realise You Were a Walt Disney World Addict

Discussion in 'General' started by Wendy, May 29, 2012.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

I was just wondering when did you know that WDW had won your heart? Did something happen or was it some special moment that made you realise that you were hooked?

Mine was on our first trip, walking in and seeing the Castle for the first time and then watching the 3pm parade, it was all I ever imagined or dreamed it would be and more. I knew then that I wanted to come back and now I don't know how many years on, it still feels like I am going home :)
  2. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

For me I think it was during the summer of 1989 when I had just graduated from High School. While most of my friends were looking forward to partying and such I was looking forward to another two week trip to Disney with my parents and sister. After that summer I still went on two more family vacations with them, the last being 1993 when I was 22 years old. I didn't want them to end. I have been to WDW almost every year since with my wife and/or other family members. To this day I still remember a nightmare I had right before one of our trips to Disney when I was younger. I had dreamt that I had slept through the entire two week trip and when I woke up we only had one more day left. lol
  3. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

For me, it was at our local travel agent. We were looking at various countries such as Mexico, Greece, Cyprus, Africa, even cruise!

It took us a long while to decide where to go. We saw a poster of Mickey in the shop. With one word....

Florida!

That was it! :mental:

We go there every two years. It wasn't even planned just 'happened'!

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?hj4p0x
  4. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

The minute I got this....
    [​IMG]
  5. Wendy

Oh Josh that is wonderful, you are so very lucky :hug2:
  6. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

I dont think its just disney for me - i think its Florida! :yes:
    When we first went in 2003 disney wasnt the main reason for our trip, i desperately wanted to go to Universal Studios, SeaWorld and Islands of Adventure, disney came after those! And its still kind of the same, all the things i think about that make me want to go back are to do with those places!
  7. Suebeattie

Suebeattie Addicted to Mickey

I'm the same as Kate but it's not just WDW, it's not just Florida it's all over the place in the USA. Our favourite places so far are Boston, San Francisco, and of course Orlando :)
    :wiggle:
  8. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Serious Forum Regular

I'd always wanted to do Disney World since a little girl but was never able to... then when I did eventually get there with my own family I was kind of underwhelmed... I think looking back there was just so much to drink in and I knew that I was only going the once so had a mad head on with everything just buzzing and blurring around in there.

It wasn't until I got back that I realised the Pixie Dust hadn't deserted me after all! I thought it had and felt flat at first. I don't know how it happened but I had definitely been hit with it, and although I don't feel the need to do *it* every year I definitely get withdrawal symptoms and so do my family. So we will be coming back again!:wiggle:
  9. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

Its Disney for me, if WDW wasn't in Orlando I wouldn't go there. There are some nice beaches in Florida etc but I prefer being up the coast a bit in South Carolina.
  10. robertcraig

robertcraig Serious Forum Regular

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    My first visit in 1981 and this year will be my 22nd visit I just love FLORIDA
  11. Wendy

We are seeing more and more of Florida each year and we love it. I will always need a "Disney fix" but we don't go every day when we are there. There are other things to do and see. I don't like the International Drive area, it reminds me of a tacky seaside resort :lol: it's just not our cup of tea, so we have never been to anything down there.

I hope I never have to choose between Disney/Florida and Hawaii, because as much as I love going to Florida - Hawaii will always win :yes:
  12. robertcraig

robertcraig Serious Forum Regular

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    DISNEY is not about just the 2 weeks holiday it is about the planning from the time you book also the secrets forum is great fun too
  13. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

Wont ever find you in Blackpool then?! :lol: I love tacky seaside resorts!! We always stay on International Drive - we really like it there, maybe thats why?!
  14. Deafjeff

15. Deafjeff

I totally agree! :yes:

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?xfyoxp
  16. Wendy

:sorry: :lol: I've been to Blackpool once, we took ages to find a parking space and then we were back in the car 15 mins later leaving :lol:

There are still some lovely seaside towns, I think that sadly others have been changed by the ages and type of people that go there :( Newquay for instance was a typical family seaside resort and now :sigh: it has been completely ruined :(
  17. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I think I've always been an addict. I never got to go until I took Alysia for her 5th birthday. We went that one time in 1996 and I never made it back till 2002. I haven't stopped since.
  18. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

When did I become an addict?

When I saw this on television:

[video=youtube;ffnSTfBN1lU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffnSTfBN1lU[/video]​

I had always been a Disney fan. Ever since as a very little boy in Cleveland Ohio, my mother used to read me the story of Pedro in my Disney story book and my dad took me to the theater to see the original Pete Pan. I even remember lying on the couch watching the original Mickey Mouse club as I suffered through another bout of childhood sickness. As a result of my tendency toward bronchitis, our doctor recommended that my parents move and take me to Florida. It was there in St. Petersburg that I spent the rest of my childhood. Sunday nights would always find us gathered around the television set watching whatever flavor of Disney was on at the time.

So, on one of those Sunday nights, when Walt Disney announced the Florida Project, I instantly became a fan.

Tom :)macwave:... been one ever since!)
  19. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

This wasn't taken with a stolen iphone, was it? :happybounce:
  20. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

I've been thinking hard about this and I guess in reality it goes back to the 1950's and seeing the Mickey Mouse Club on TV, and then Disney's Wonderful World of Color. I always wanted to go to Disneyland and that dream finally came true in 1984, even though it was only for 1 day. I was in Germany in 1971 when the Magic Kingdom opened up and I never really got a chance to go there until I got back from Germany for the third time in 1987. I've loved it ever since.