When I was younger...

Discussion in 'TV, Movies & Music, Just for Laughs and Games' started by Esmeralda, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Dazzling everyone with my sheer awesomeness :D
    You could go into a sweet shop and with 50p and come out with crisps, two cans of coke and hundreds of chocolate bars... not anymore goddamn cctv everywhere! :(

2. Tink

Tink Administrator Staff Member Administrator

When I was younger we'd beg Mama to allow us to walk along the shoulder (Verge) of the main roads and pick up discarded soda bottles. These were the old style, the heavy glass ones. We'd bring them home, rinse them out and then take them to the little shop that sold something of seemingly everything. There was a huge glass front case of penny candy. We'd turn in our bottles for the refunds and then use that money to make our selections from the candy case.

We learned: If you want something, work for it. Do a good job (the shop wouldn't take dirty bottles). Budget and make your choices wisely within your budget.

Kids today do not have that same opportunity, and I feel bad for them.

3. Tink

I like this thread idea, Esme!! So who's next? What is your, "When I was younger," story?

4. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Dazzling everyone with my sheer awesomeness :D
    Lol it was a joke thread Tink, but I'm very happy for it to be a serious thread. :)

5. Wendy

Wendy Administrator Staff Member Administrator

When I was younger I used to be given an old penny at the end of the week for taking the cold ashes outside and putting them in the bin. I used to love going into the newsagents and deciding which sweets I was going to buy.

When I lost a tooth, the tooth fairy used to come at night and leave a sixpence under my pillow, I used to think I was really lucky :lol: I don't know what the going rate is now.

At Christmas, I used to get an apple and 3 small oranges in the bottom of my stocking.

Boy do I feel old :lol:

6. Tink

Oh gosh, Christmas stockings! They were our Da's hunting sock, not the fancy ones of today. They were filled with a tangerine in the toe, nuts in their shells a little bit of candy and a candy cane. Sometimes a banana and an orange. :D No toys or anything like that.

7. Wendy

We used to have little things like a colouring book and pencils, nothing was wrapped and my brother and I used to take all our little goodies into mum and dad and sit on the bed showing them what we'd got.

We used to have presents under the Christmas tree nothing like the amount of presents that children get these days but my brother and I were always excited. The Christmas tree was in the front room which had a glass door. We always had to have breakfast before we opened the presents and I can remember Dad standing in the way of the door to the lounge so we couldn't see what was in there.

We always had new pyjamas for Christmas eve.

8. uscwest

uscwest Moderator Staff Member Moderator

We would do this also, but most of the stores would take the bottles just as we found them.

9. uscwest

uscwest Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I remember well the tangerines and nuts in shells in my stocking. I remember the candy canes. Another thing we would do as kids was go out on the railroad tracks behind the church and put pennies on the tracks. We knew a train would be along relatively soon, it would flatten the penny and then we'd go pick it up.

10. piglet

piglet Well-Known Member

clerical
    OMG brought back so many lovely memories. We had a sock and always nuts, a tangerine wrapped in silver foil, an apple and some little sweeties. Next to the sock would be a few colouring books and an album. I can still remember the feeling of putting my feet down to the bottom of the bed and hearing the crackle of wrapping paper. Memories aahh!

11. Tink

Oh, that sounds so nice, Piglet!

12. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak New Member

Accounting Manager
    My stocking was filled with Hot Wheels/Matchbox cars and View-Master reels.

13. Tink

View Master. We had those, too. First the little ones that had slide like contraptions that you put in and took out by hand. Then the fancier job, with the lever that moved the disc along. Hi tech stuff! :D One of my favorite memories is of my little brother when he first saw the Taj Mahal. He was so awed! "LOOOOOOOK!!!! MAMA!!!! IT'S KINGDOM COME!!!!" My parents laughed so hard over that... Good Christmas memories.

14. keith

keith Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Home Page:
    hehe how weird to think it was the same toys across the pond, with the same slides of the taj mahal no less! I smile every time we do buzz lightyear ride because it has a view master in there

sweet wise I used to cycle to the shop at the end of the street, before supermarkets killed it, and get mum a pint of milk and a few pence for going. A pack of opal fruits was 7p as was a packet of Crisps. OR for a few pence, I could get a huge bag of pear drops

15. Wendy

Does anyone remember the black currant sweets that had liquorice in the centre. Oh and there was a round penny shaped sweet which was chewy but tasted of coconut I think.

Caramac that was another one I liked, it's not the same now though.

The penny sweets like fruit salad, I think I used to get 4 for a penny at one point. The sweet sugar dummies, I could go on, I liked sweets :redface: :lol:

16. piglet

piglet Well-Known Member

clerical
    Oh I remember the blackcurrant and licquorice sweeties and fruit salads and blackjacks (are we still allowed to call them that?). Not sure about Caramac but used to love sweet cigarettes. :) :)

17. Wendy

Oh yes, I forgot about the black jacks :lol: the sweet cigarettes and you used to pretend to be grown up pretending to smoke them. My how times have changed.

18. Wendy

Did anyone have the doll who's hair grew and then you could wind it back in to make it short again. I think you pushed a button on her tummy to make it grow and there was something on the back to make it shorter :unsure:

The kaleidoscopes, I used to get a new one every year, I loved them.

19. keith

keith Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Home Page:
    I was never allowed the sweet cigarettes :( gave it a shot once and got them slapped out of my hand and none too gently along with a trip to the cemetery to show what happens if you start smoking. 30 yrs later I was at a business meeting, sale of a large company, and they bought us all stupidly expensive cigars, like cost of a decent TV expensive and so I tried one out of curiosity and curtesy. I was looking round the whole time expecting mum to turn up and yell at me :lol:

Caramac yummmmm there was just something about the taste.

20. Britchick

Britchick Well-Known Member

I love cigars!!! Lol