1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

When is the best time to book?

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World' started by Oreo, May 28, 2013.

1. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

For our trip last year we booked up nearly two years in advance. We got a decent offer with free dinning plan and a gift card. We were happy.

However, I'm being nosy this afternoon and notice for the very same dates this year booking today they are some what cheaper via sites like expedia etc.

We are not planning to go this year however we are now looking to move our 2015 trip forward to next year.

I wondered, is it cheaper to book way in advance with Disney or risk it and book it via a site like expedia much closer to the time?

We are not too fussed where we stay as long as it is on Disney property.

We have found for this year Wilderness Lodge for the same price we paid for Coronardo Springs for the same dates last year. If that is the case every year i'd rather wait and risk getting a better hotel.

What are people's feelings?

2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I'm not an expert on this because I've always preferred to get the stuff booked and secured. In a way, knowing I have something booked for AGES helps me through the "Im wanna be at Disney NOW" depression :lol:

..but I do know folks who wait and they always seem to get good deals. I'm surprised if no ones ever done the work on this because somewhere there should be a graph showing how prices alter very far out to very close. It seems to me that when stuff first becomes available, flights/rooms etc., they start at fairly normal RRP (high, normal). Then the next few months will see various offers to encourage people to book early. Then the offers seem to stop and the prices can creep up, especially with airlines where the seats become more limited. Then finally a few weeks before the date, prices can dive if you know where to look so they can fill up the spaces.

I know one couple who often dont know where they're going on holiday until a couple of nights before they go. They just go with the flow and book mega late bargains.

It's all too scary for me :lol: I like to book, get my reservation numbers and then i just know what Im looking forward to.

3. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

Me too! As soon as rates are released, we book!

4. Tishypops

Tishypops Addicted to Mickey

As a travel agent I always encourage people to book early especially if you have certain restrictions or major preferences on where/when you travel or if you are looking in extreme high season. If you are looking at low season and you have nothing really set in mind then it can sometimes pay off to leave it late. One piece if advise I give everyone with lates though book as soon as it hits what ever magic figure you have in mind and then never check the price again and then you can't be over joyed/disappointed when they change

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I'm also a travel agent and I encourage people to book as soon as they realize they want to go. It's easier to try to change a reservation with a new discount than trying to book a new discount. Plus if someone wants a certain resort or room type the earlier they book the better the chances are to get it.

That being said. Me personally? I fly by the seat of my pants lol

6. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

I'm not a travel agent :wink: and I personally book about 9 - 10 months before, mainly because I use flying club seats and they aren't available any earlier. I also book everything separately myself rather than go through an agent as I find I can do it cheaper than getting a package holiday.

I think if you see a good price and it is what you would like to pay then I'd go for it when you see it, especially if you can just put down a deposit.

7. robertcraig

robertcraig Serious Forum Regular

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    i usually go in september and book my flight for the next year when i return because the price always goes up except you wait till the last minute

8. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

Still undecided how to play this one.

There is a potential for us to be able to go before 2015 dependant on jobs etc.

So my plan is to hold off and book closer to the time, if it becomes ridiculously expensive I guess we'll just have to wait until 2015.

9. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

If you are dead set on going next year, then I'd go for it at least you would know to book early for 2015 :)