1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Where and what is the disney hoop dee doo

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World' started by disneymom, Aug 6, 2008.

1. disneymom

disneymom Imagineer

silly guide book is giving me more ideas to book. Is this a dancing show and where is it?

2. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

The Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue is a dinner theater located in Pioneer Hall in Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground

Shows are held at 5:00 PM, 7:15 PM, and 9:30 PM nightly and last approximately 2 hours.
    The show is a wild western style revue. The cast, called the Pioneer Hall Players, consist of three couples - Flora Long and Jim Handy, dancers Claire de Lune and Johnny Ringo; and Dolly Drew and Six Bits Slocum , who provide comedic relief. The Pioneer Hall Players perform songs and skits while interacting with the audience throughout dinner. The musical numbers include "Let Me Call You Sweetheart" for those celebrating anniversaries, "Oh Shenandoah," "This Land is Your Land," "Hokey Pokey" and "Oh My Darling, Clementine." After dessert is served, various audience members are selected to perform in the final musical number, a tribute to Davy Crockett. Servers pass out washboards to the audience to play along with the closing number, a reprise of the Hoop-Dee-Doo theme.

Salad and cornbread are on the table upon arrival. The meal, served family style, consists of all-you-care-to-eat fried chicken, smoked barbecued pork ribs, mashed potatoes, and baked beans. Strawberry shortcake is served for dessert. Also included are all-you-care-to-drink soft drinks, iced tea, juices, coffee, draft Bud Light, Sangría, Chardonnay, Rosé, and Merlot. Margaritas and other brands of beer are available at additional cost.

Oh.....and I'm pretty sure Keith does this every WDW visit on his first night.....he'll be along soon to let you know if I'm right on that one:lol:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  3. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

It is loads of fun. The food is very tasty, at least I think it is. I recommend that you don't order the Sangria though. Unless they have changed it, it is rather vile stuff. :rolleyes008:

4. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

They've changed it anony_mouse, it's even MORE vile now :lol:

In fact they've made a number of changes to the menu. No more sweetcorn :( now its mashed potato although it's quite nice :) the bread is now more like we in the UK would term sponge cake

The worst changes are to the alcoholic drinks. The rose wine used to be berringer white zinfandel, but now it's some kind of dreadful stuff that tastes like dilluted vinegar. Dreadful. The red and white were once passable table wines but again are now pretty dreadful. The white is the least pukesome of the lot.

It's still a great show and dont forget that the 9:30 show allows pretty steep discounts for those with Disney Dining Experience cards! It's also the least busy show

The other change is to seating. A new tiered pricing system is now in place, which means that the closer you are to the action, the higher the price you'll pay to enjoy it. Tier 1 seats are located on the first floor nearest the stage, tier 2 seats in the back half of the first floor and in the center of the balcony, tier 3 seats to the right and left sides on the balcony level. There's not a bad seat in the house, so don't feel the need to splurge.

There is SOME audience participation. If you're shy, avoid the temptation to put your hand up when asked anything and especially avoid volunteering for the "end of show spectacular". especially especially ESPECIALLY avoid this if you're a shy, relatively rotund male. You've been warned :lol:

If you go to one of the earlier shows, you may feel like waiting around. You can see some of the wishes fireworks from the docks or the Electrical Water Pageant at 9:45pm, which can be viewed from the Fort Wilderness Beach.

5. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

6. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

They call the bread cornbread but those of from the south call it cake. Cornbread should never be sweet.

Hmm I loved the corn. I'd rather have that. Oh well. The show is corny and fun. We always have a good time.

7. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I called for this show for late August. I was astonished at the cost. :eek: I didn't realize it would be less expensive after 9:30 and with the DDE card. :(

It's for seven people and I really couldn't afford roughly $70 per person. :eek:

I thoroughly dislike sweet cornbread! ICK! That's some Hollywood notion of what it should taste like. It's rather like sweet biscuits. Ewwww! Ewwww! Ewwww! :nono:

8. keith

yep.. they used to have discounts for DVC members as well but it seems to have gone

Category 1 Adults (10 and up) $59.99 including tax and gratuity
    Children (3-9) $30.99 including tax and gratuity
    Infants (0-2) No charge

Category 2 Adults (10 and up) $54.99 including tax and gratuity
    Children (3-9) $26.99 including tax and gratuity
    Infants (0-2) No charge

Category 3 Adults (10 and up) $50.99 including tax and gratuity
    Children (3-9) $25.99 including tax and gratuity
    Infants (0-2) No charge

9. Johnie

We don't have to pay for it in Sept with the dining plan so that is nice.

However, my family wanted to go in Nov so I booked it. It was expensive. We went to the 9:30pm show the first time we ever went because there was a discount. 9:30pm is too late for me when I am at WDW!

10. keith

This can be a factor for the whole audience actually. I've seen the 9:30 show full of tired folks and the cast has to try REALLY hard to get much out of them

The earlier shows definitely have more buzz

11. Johnie

9:30 isn't late when I am at home but it might as well be 2am when I am WDW.

12. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

We've done this show several times now (always on the dining plan) and have *always* had a great time. Keith is right, there really *isn't* a bad seat in the building, although we've never been seated upstairs...have you Keith?

Last year when we went, we attended the 7:15 show...brilliant as always...we headed out to the dock to catch a boat over to...MK maybe? Anyway...the crowds were pretty heavy as it seemed EVERYONE was waiting for a boat and then once Baleigh saw the sand...well that was it. We ended up staying out there FOREVER playing in the hammocks and giggling our heads off....

Finally, the crowd had dissipated and we walked over and caught the next launch...we were one of only two family's on the boat so we wandered towards the back of the boat and sat outside...about halfway across the water, our captain come over the intercom and said, "Well ladies and gentleman, looks like the fireworks are just about to begin over in the Magic Kingdom, if no one has any objections, we'll just drop anchor for a few minutes and watch." And we did. And it was magical.

13. Johnie

I've been seated upstairs and did not like it at all. They had the chairs against the railing so you couldn't watch the show and eat at the same time. Alysia and Mike thought it was fine but they like to say I complain a lot. As if!

14. keith

Sure have :D in fact I prefer it up there because it's harder to be picked on :lol:

Upstairs you don't feel quite so involved in the action ALTHOUGH the cast works very hard to involve upstairs and they come upstairs frequently enough. Also upstairs at the sides can have a bit of an awkward view.

Nevertheless, I'd be happy enough to be sat up there

15. keith

I think most people would agree with that. I'm a bit special in that I'm so shy I preferred being out of the way :D but yeah, it's awkward seating

16. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

We were sat right at the front, middle of the stage on the table for two. I was so nervous after reading that you may get picked on but it wasn't so bad.
    DH got a lot of attention from one of the ladies.....but he didn't mind that! I was told I had something stuck in my teeth! DH ended up playing a washboard and, because when they asked if anyone was celebrating and DH told them we were....our 20th anniversary at the time.....we had to get up and dance.
    It is very corny and, the macho guy at the next table was not impressed at all...he sat stoney faced all night.

Oh....I'm pleased they got rid of the corn and replaced it with mash.

17. Shellyamc

Shellyamc Serious Forum Regular

We loved the HDDR!!! We sat upstairs on the side and it really was not bad to deal with. I'm not sure why they don't put the seats on the other sides of the table, but it worked out just fine for us :p015:

18. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

We get the second cat seating and we were on one side about three rows back from the stage. I felt out of the way enough but still had a great view. :)

19. Grammiepo

Grammiepo Daisy Inspector

you will have a great time, lots of fun.