1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

where and what is the scifi diner?

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by wishonastar, Jun 14, 2011.

1. wishonastar

wishonastar Imagineer

Hiya :wave: whats the scifi diner please and where is it? Is it worthy of a special visit and how expensive is it?:worship:

2. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Ohhh... the SciFi Dine In theatre!

It's located in Disney's Hollywood Studios. Not too far from Star Tours. It's basically an old, 50's style drive in theatre. All indoors of course. Wouldn't want to get rained on. You sit in convertible cars from the 50's (replicas of course) while eating your meal and watching campy old sci-fi movies on the drive in theatre screen.

Is it worth it? Absolutely! :thumbsup:

How expensive? Disney describes it as $$ ($15 to $35.99). As Disney dining goes, that's not too bad.

But as far as I'm concerned, it's a must do at least once for the experience.

Tom :)macwave:... Attack of the Killer Tomatoes!)

3. WDW Vet

WDW Vet Forum Advertiser

The Sci Fi is an absolute must and it is a great place for lunch. Another favorite is 50's Prime Time Cafe.

At 50's basically you are eating in "Mom's" kitchen. Old fashion black and white TVs show bits and pieces of old TV shows like I love Lucy, My Three Sons etc. The staff and servers rollplay that they are related to you.

One visit we were with friends and we finished dinner Our server looked at my friends plate and said "Honey you can't have dessert until you finish all your potatoes." So he replied that he was done. She continues " Now you have to listen to your Aunty Sue" She pickes up a fork full of potates and says " Here's the plane and we're going to park the plane in your hanger now open wide." So she moves her hand with the fork while making plane sounds and my buddy opens his mouth and she parks the mashed potatoes.

I started laughing and she looks at me and scolds me for laughing at my little brother. She grabs me by my ear lobe and I play along as she makes me stand up and go stand in the corner. The other patrons were laughing and taking pictures

The foods okay but it is a fun place.

4. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Yep! Love Mom's place (50's Prime Time).

One time my DW and I were eating there. We'd been before so were familiar with the drill. At the table next to us a large family had just been seated. The older gentleman (obviously the patriarch and quite old) was at the head of the table. He starts talking to a member of his family and firmly plants his elbows on the table.

With that, his server comes running over and tells him to remove his elbows from the table right now or he'll end up standing in the corner. She then stomps off.

Puzzled old guy looks around and loudly proclaims for all to hear; "What the h3ll is this place!" :ROFL:

My DW and I died laughing!

Tom :)macwave:... why yes, I'll have a PB&J milkshake thank you!)

5. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Hey Terry, check his pulse when you see him on the cruise.

And yes 50's Prime Time is a MUST do for us every time we go.