1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Where have you stayed?

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by disneymom, Aug 11, 2008.

1. disneymom

disneymom Imagineer

I love hearing about where people have stayed, so where have you stayed either ondisney or not and which did you like the best or not like at all

2. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

We've only stayed onsite once and that was at the Poly. I have always wanted to stay there and we got a good AP rate :D It was a nice experience, but would I pay the money to do it again ............ sadly no :(

I might be tempted to try the GF at some stage though it seems much more relaxed and peaceful :lol:

We normally stay off site in a house or condo. I much prefer the flexibility of being able to stay at home and eat Get up in the morning and sit by the pool eating breakfast. Not being stuck on one room.

I just find it a lot more relaxing :)

3. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

Our first two times were in a villa on Sunridge Woods in Davenport, then the first two times with the children we stayed at All Star Movies, then last year we stayed at Port Orleans Riverside. Next year we will be staying at our DVC resort in the Animal Kingdom Villas and then going back to POR for a few days.

We loved ASMo especially when the kids were younger and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again, but POR last year was gorgeous, I loved the resort, it was so peaceful and I loved being able to get the boat to DTD in the evening.

I wouldn't stay off site again as I love being in the middle of it all too much :D

4. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

We stayed offsite once, for about 10minutes :lol: at travelodge main gate east the very first time at disney. It was smelly and icky. We'd only got there about 10pm but I called all star movies which was the only hotel name I knew at disney and they said they had room! so we called a taxi and left. It was brilliant to check into all stars because after main gate east it was like a 7star hotel :lol:

Let's see which ones we've stayed at...

all star movies
    all star music
    pop century
    Coronado springs
    port orleans riverside
    po french quarter
    Wilderness lodge
    polynesian
    Grand Floridian
    Contemporary
    Animal Kingdom Lodge
    Yacht Club
    Swan/dolphin
    Wyndham palace (buena vista palace)

I feel like I'm missing a couple but anyway. I think they all have something special going for them. There isn't a single one I wouldnt go back to, including the value resorts.

I guess my favourites well the Wilderness lodge is such a missed treasure. It's cheaper than the mk monorail resorts but is so peaceful and nicely themed. It has a great christmas theme, two restaurants and a boat across to MK. Unlike some of the others, it doesn't have outside buildings like motel types, it's all in one which is better IMHO.

AKL is a similar design and although further out, the whole african theme really works great. I'll always remember being there height of summer, the music piped through the resort and even at the bus stop. Really has a special feeling all to itself.

Contemporary is a bit hustle/bustle but it's SO great for mk! to be able to forget the busses/boats and just walk to and from the MK is great.

In short, I like em all :D

Should add though, I'd like to try a villa one day for the extra space and relaxation

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  5. Grammiepo

Grammiepo Daisy Inspector

WF campsite, WF cabin, PO,Poly, Cont. timeshare resorts always try for a different one even though I own one at Vistana.

6. piglet

piglet Serious Forum Regular

Wilderness Lodge was our first experience of staying on-site and we loved it. Then went to Caribbean Beach which was also great, Coronado Springs was the next one and the dining situation put me off that and finally we found the Beach Club. I love this hotel, so close to Epcot, one of my favourite parks, easy walking to Disney Studios, great pools, great food, just love everything about it.

7. Debbie2

Debbie2 Speedy!

Favourite has to be the GF and would stay there every time if budget allowed. It's kinda spolit me and have to admit to being disappointed with the Yacht Club last year. Also stayed at the Caribbean Beach on our first visit and it was fine.

Swan and HRH next year :D

8. keith

I agree with you there Debbie, I was very disappointed with the Yacht club, especially for all that money :(

9. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

We've been all over the place

On-Site
    AllStar Music
    All Star Movies
    All Star Sports
    Pop Century
    Port Orleans Riverside (also when it was known as Dixie Landings)
    Coronado Springs
    Caribbean Beach
    Animal Kingdom Lodge
    Wilderness Lodge

Off-site
    private house
    Sheraton Vistana
    Vacation Village at Parkway
    Orange Lake Country Club
    Universal's Royal Pacific
    Universal's Portofino Bay
    and other places that I can't remember at this point

10. Debbie2

Debbie2 Speedy!

Glad you agree ...it means we have similar tastes..so I should like the Swan as you did :lol:

11. keith

Oh I've not a doubt in the world that you'll love it! :yes:

12. Debbie2

Debbie2 Speedy!

Music to my ears, Keith :D

13. Rosie0610

Rosie0610 Imagineer

I've stayed at:
    WDW
    Beach Club
    BW
    BWV
    All Star Sports
    POP
    Dolphin

Off Site
    Raddison PKWY
    Hampton Inn( I think) by US
    Royal Pacific

My absolute favorite is the Royal Pacific. US really has the edge on hotels and themeing and quality. That hotel is so nice and usually you can get a pretty decent rate to stay there. Can't beat the FOTL access!

Favorite WDW resort (besides the Dolphin which would win hands down for the beds alone!) is BW. I love the easy walk to EPCOT and that whole area. That being said it really is too expensive for me to stay there without my parents paying any longer :lol:

14. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Seeing as we have a villa in Davenport, that`s where we normally stay.
    Having said that sometimes we use our DVC points for a bit of luxury at the GF where we have stayed loads of times.
    Other than that we`ve stayed at Sheraton World [near to Seaworld], The Hilton at DTD, Wilderness Lodge, OKW, Vero Beach, and at a couple of places in the Keys.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  15. keith

Has anyone stayed at the hotel in the Florida Mall?

I know it may sound daft, but we love to have a really good shop and quite tempted.

How about Gaylord Palms? We were given a tour around it in May and the rooms look really nice, great restaurants etc

16. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

My first full visit to WDW was a stay at some "suites" near Old Town. Can't quite remember the name? They were ok, getting shabby, but the price was so ridiculously low we couldn't complain ($99 for 10 days)!

We stayed for weekends and overnights at some of the really inexpensive places on 192. Again, can't remember the names, but the last time we did that the place was so nasty we left. We went to relatives in the area (thank heaven) and haven't done the "cheap hotels" since. :lipwobble:

So, for the good experiences.

We've stayed at All Stars (Sports and Music). Loved them both. Love the food courts there and the pool bartenders who can make the BEST margarita on the rocks! :yes:

The Pop Century. Stayed here because it was new. :D We really liked the resort, but didn't like the food court so well.

The Beach Club. Our all time absolutely favorite deluxe resort. :yes: Love its proximity to EPCOT our favorite park, the decor, the pleasant staff... the pool, the restaurants, the lounge, Beaches and Cream... you name it and we love it here. We've stayed in the hotel proper and at the villas. :yes:

The Wilderness Lodge. What a beautiful resort. This one runs a close second to our first choice Beach Club. :yes: I love the lobby and the artifacts there. The pool is wicked neat as are the entire grounds. The whole place has that "cabin in the forest" feel and we love it! We talk about staying there at Christmas, but haven't done so yet. One day. :yes: It is a long haul from the parking lot to the villas with all your stuff though. But that is the only real drawback about this resort! If you go, look for the animal tracks in the walkways. Neat! :D

The Boardwalk. :sorry: We just don't like this place. :( It's miles to the room/villa (at least anyone we've ever been given). The car park is not convenient for those of us who carry our own luggage. You have to schlepp all your stuff from the lower parking area up (yes, as in up hill) to the resort lobby, then haul it all down some forever long corridor to the villa. Then if you are as lucky as we are, your key card won't work and you get to schlepp all the way back to the lobby to have the CM behind the desk tell you that it's you and not the key. (It was the key). The rooms are sometimes not as clean as they should be. This resort has had HUGE problems with construction and the quality of building materials, and in my opinion it shows. The carpets alone are icky and need replacing. :( It's totally a personal thing, but I can't stand the garish pool area. I'm so not a clown person and that thing reminds me of something from Stephen King's "IT."
    Also, we don't like that there is no self contained restaurant for this resort. There have been real problems with the CMs there too. We were some of the guests who were bothered with repeated early morning (as in starting at FIVE am) calls the day of check out asking us when we were planning on leaving. :( Although they no longer allow them to do that, it really ruined the place for us. We've also found this place very noisy. We once had a room over the boardwalk and it was really bad. Seth was with us and we spent all night coaxing him back to sleep as the noise rising from the boardwalk kept waking him. Not a good stay. We stay there only if there is no other available DVC, and then only for the shortest time possible.

Vero Beach. LOVE this resort! It's wonderful for a seaside peaceful few days. :yes: There isn't a huge bunch of stuff to do here, but we love lounging on the beach, strolling on the beach... you get the idea. :yes: Now that they have a great chef for Sonya's the food is nice too. :yes:

And our all time favorite that we've stayed at too many times to count: Old Key West. :yes: It was the first DVC so we feel like part of the history. :lol: It's huge, sprawling and beautifully kept. The buildings are sturdy and you don't feel like they are about to collapse around your ears! We love the ability to walk all over the resort (we love to walk) and we really enjoy the stroll from the back of the resort along the canal to DTD. :yes: Trumbo Ferry to DTD is fun, and so are the rental water craft. We've rented bicycles there too. :yes:

We love being able to park directly in front of the villa. It makes for easy unloading. :yes: We've gotten to know many of the CMs there, so it really is like coming home. :yes:

The villas are the largest of the DVCs which is wonderful, especially when you have extra guests with you. :yes:

We've had one incident with poor service, but that's not terrible given the years and number of times we've stayed there! Olivia's is a serviceable restaurant, but not one that you'll want to take all your meals in. That is the one drawback of this resort. It doesn't have the variety of restaurants like the other DVCs. I think that is because as the first, folks were expected to make more use of the kitchens in the villas than they were expected to dine out. :unsure:

We call OKW our home, as well as our favorite DVC. :yes:

17. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Hey thanks for that post Tink.
    I forgot about OKW [how could I?]....just edited my post accordingly.

18. Tink

LOL! Because we are so familiar with it, we don't think of it as a resort as much as we consider it our "default Disney mode!" :lol: :yes:

19. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

sunridge woods *2
    esprit
    calabay parc

all villas

never stayed onsite

20. Tink

I fogot! We've stayed at SSR too! :yes: Lovey place. Nice proximity to DTD and now with a true full service restaurant, it has all the amenities. :yes:

It allows you to park close to your villa too. :yes: That's a big deal to me, isn't it? :lol: