1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Where the locals eat. The best kept secret.

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by Tink, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Well, I have a confession to make. :sorry: I've been keeping a secret from all of us here. :sigh:

Several months ago we finally ventured into Gotha, FL (about 10 miles from Disney (north east) give or take) to try out a place we'd long heard about, Yellow Dog Eats (also known as Yellow Dog Cafe). http://www.yellowdogeats.com/YellowDogEats/Welcome.html

This is truly a slice of "American culture" in the truest sense. It is beyond laid back and casual. Come in your shorts and tee shirt, or come in your tuxedo. They get it all. It is counter service! And BOY what counter service it is.

The menu seems limited. It's only limited by words. The actuality is not limiting at all, rather a festival of deliciousness like you've not tried before.

The Chef (Fish) is CIA trained, and is often seen there from prep, to service to cleaning. He has created a menu of selections that are quirky, fun, and remarkably complex.

He offers unexpected specials (aren't those the best) that can range from smoked lobster to brisket. You'll want to "like" Yellow Dog on that social site :D to learn about the specials before hand.

We were there (again :redface: ) yesterday. We had our usual. Rufus, frisky please. :D What a combination! Pulled smoked pork that melts in your mouth topped with Chef Fish's incredible BBQ sauce and raspberry melba sauce (trust me, it works). The sandwich (meal between to halves of a bun is more like it) features sliced brie and pickled peppers, too. If you go for the frisky (and DO!) it adds apple wood smoked bacon, fried onions (the crispy kind) and potato sticks. :D

It's served with a side of coleslaw that even I will eat (I don't like coleslaw). :D It features cranberries, almonds and a touch of unexpected spice (but not hot spice). The sandwich comes with a small bag of chips/crisps too. :yes:

We've tried the Cuban black beans, the Strawberry Fields salad, the Nachos (OH MY GAWWWWWWD) and a couple of the other sandwiches. We always end up going back to the Rufus, frisky please. :D

The boy likes the "plain" pulled pork BBQ and his Da will eat anything at all on the menu.

The vegetarian and vegan choices are just as delicious and well thought out.

The desserts? Just take a look at the site and add some pounds just by looking.

There is a nice selection of wine, and a good selection of beers too. (Bottled, not draft).

The atmosphere is fun, fun, fun. You'll spend time taking it all in. At first glance it's a hodge podge crazy mess, until you start actually looking. There are all sorts of unique things to look at from great posters advertising past art events, to porcelain dogs (Chef Fish collects them) to old Florida oddities... Bring your marking pen because writing on the tables is allowed! :mental:

There are shelves on the perimeter of the downstairs area filled with the Chef's bottled creations, from his famous sauces to jellies, ect. :yes: Take a few home! (Wine is on offer too, and some of the beer).

There is an area upstairs set up for dining, with a side room for private dining. What a cool place to have a small private party!

The outdoors is as unique as inside, the garden is old Florida. OH! Look out for the chickens. :D :D

Seriously, take the time to find this place. You will be well rewarded for your efforts.

And if you show up of a weekend, look for Ol' Tink, Herself and maybe the boy at one of those crazy tables... :D :D
  2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Wow SUPERB review :yes: I love hearing about places like this

Thanks so much for telling us about it, I have a feeling I'll be planning a visit in December :D
  3. Tink

Oh, nearly forgot. We've had the pulled pork salad too. :yes:

We started out buying two separate selections and sharing, but we when we didn't have the Rufus we were always sad. :lol: Therefore, we now get the Rufus and sometimes get a third selection to share.

The portions redefine huge though, so that doesn't happen often. When we take the boy and his Da, it's easier to share because those two are bottomless pits when it comes to eating. :D
  4. arkvilla

arkvilla Addicted to Mickey

I'm def going to go - hopefully this week Tink, if we can't then next. Thank you so much, we love trying new places

Sandra
  5. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

ooo Sandra if you do I'd love to hear more about it and perhaps a few photos for our restaurant gallery :D
  6. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

It`s great to read about local restaurants Tink, thanks for posting....any more to follow? :wiggle:
  7. chief

chief Earning my ears

yum like the look of the menu:yes:
  8. Tink

Slowhand this is one of the best in a long time. Keith there are some nice photos on the site too. Sandra I sure hope you get a chance to go!
  9. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

mmmmm that menu looks good and FUN! They have Elvis sammiches :tongue:
  10. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

I soooo need to eat here. :mental:
  11. Tink

Dawn, you would so love the ribs!!!
  12. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Great review Tink. Unfortunately we already have everything planned for our next trip which will include taking Donna's brother David with us for his first ever trip, and our niece's wedding. May have to try and remember this for a future trip.
  13. Tinkfan

Tinkfan Earning my ears

It looks fantastic, even the peanutbutter sandwich, but I didn't see the desserts!!!:sorry:
  14. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

:D I like the sound of this and I'm sure Chris will as well - we'll have to make sure we go in a few weeks time :D