1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Where to eat Christmas Day

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by Wendy, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Due to a complete mix up on my part and me cancelling the wrong ressie, we are supposed to be going to Citricos on Christmas Day - I think I have made the wrong decision though :sigh;

As much as I would like to eat somewhere nice I just can't seem to justify in my mind spending $63 plus tax and gratuity for a fixed price menu, especially when it hasn't been decided what it will be yet :unsure: We will have the DDE card or whatever it will be called then :lol: but I just don't know :lol:

So short of cooking a traditional Christmas at the house where we are staying does anyone have any ideas of where to go or what to do.

I know I am mad, but I want to go to the MK on Christmas morning and we do plan to get there early and I have a breakfast ressie already booked.

Other than that I'm easy, but I really don't want counter service.

Has anyone ever had a turkey dinner on Christmas Day?

2. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Wendy I can't help you with a place to go as we have never been there for Christmas. But, your DDE card CANNOT be used on holidays. :(

3. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

ah yes very good point John I always forget that :(

Im looking for somewhere in early-mid december which will do a nice turkey dinner style but I'm not holding much hope :/ I didn't really find anything for christmas day when I was there last

I did have a nice thanksgiving day dinner at the Yachtsmans though

4. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

If you want to stay in MK...the closest thing to a turkey diner will be LTT.

5. Wendy

Thanks John, I completely forgot all about the DDE card and the holidays :rolleyes008: I really am not thinking straight at all :sigh;

I have crossed 11 things off my list today but there are just as many things still left to sort out :(

I really don't know what to do Diane, I would like to go to MK at least for the morning and then I don't mind. Anything in the MK will be booked up now and to be honest I don't think I stand much change of picking up an ADR anyway :shrug:

6. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

Wendy...you could always ring and ask....you may hit lucky for a cancellation. They can only say no :hug2:

7. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

How about trying something like Cape May. I know you are not into shellfish, but one year for the holidays they added turkey, gravy and dressing (among other selections) to their holiday buffet.

Of course, along with not being able to use the DDE card, WDW raises it's food prices (particularly buffets) at the holidays. :rolleyes2:

8. Wendy

They have been about 6 times today :lol: Oh thank goodness for free international calls :lol:

We have fallen for the extra cost with the buffets, these are the ones that the girls want to do :rolleyes008: I really must get out the rules for the DDE card if I can find them. I'm wondering whether it's even worth getting one, as we are eating onsite more, but if the card can't be used it will be a waste of $50 or however much it is now :shrug:

I think your idea is sounding better by the minute Tink, I'll cook my own turkey dinner :D

9. Tink

Really. :yes: Publix will have everything you need, and in small quantities too. :yes: You could go to MK in the morning and return in the afternoon to a relaxing afternoon and a lovely Christmas night dinner. :yes:

I really think that is the best idea, but then I'm a huge fan of saving what could literally be a hundred dollars! You can even get very nice little tarts and small pies in Publix. :yes:

Yes, check and see what the blackout dates are for the DDE. Makes no sense to purchase it if you can't use it. It's $60 now with an AP I believe.

10. Wendy

Hhhmm I wonder if I can take in a Chrismtas pudding and Christmas cake with me :lol:

11. Tink

Perhaps. As long as you don't have suet in it, you may be ok. You know you can actually get a Christmas pudding here (Fresh Market)? :yes: It's the earth though, and who knows how good it would be? :unsure:

12. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Hey Wendy, just bring the gang up to Northern Virginia for Christmas Dinner. :lol::lol: I'll fix standing rib with Yorkshire Pudding.

13. Wendy

The Christmas pudding does have suet :(

It's only Chris and I John, the others go home on the 22nd. If only it wasn't so far away :hug2: I love rib and Yorkshire Pudding :D

14. Tink

Yes, I thought it might. Suet is consider a risk factor for mad cow disease. :(

15. Tinker

Tinker Earning my ears

I have no idea why, but I want to say Trail's End at Fort Wilderness ... but that is a buffet and you probably would like a sit down .

16. Wendy

I use vegetable suet :unsure: not beef.

At this stage Debbie, I don't think we really mind, I'll have a look thanks :hug2:

17. Tink

Then vegetable suet won't be a problem. :) There! You have that settled. :D

Not to throw a wrench into things, but we had dinner at Trail's End (awhile ago now) and were really disappointed. :( It was the messiest buffet, with food scattered all over the floor, and really noisy there. We didn't much care for drinking out of mason jars either. :(

Not saying that it can't be nice or fun, just saying that we didn't have a great time there.

Plus, it's a pain in the neck to get to. :(

18. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Peace, Love and Mickey Mouse

Just a thought - is there anywhere that would deliver a pre-cooked meal to the house? Maybe GardenGrocer?