1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Where to Stay at Gatwick Airport

Discussion in 'General' started by Wendy, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

We are flying out of Gatwick South Terminal and I'm trying to decide where to stay the night before.

We usually stay at the Gatwick Hilton, but last year it was terrible and we have said we aren't going back.

Where have you stayed, what was it like and would you stay there again?

2. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

We stayed in the brand new premier inn by the sofitel at the north terminal, we were flying out of the north terminal so it was perfect. However even if I was flying out of the south terminal i would use it, you cross the road go up the escalator or lift and the shuttle is right there. I only paid £29 and the good thing is it is brand new- only opened early December

3. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Wow, a Hilton that was bad? I don't think I've ever seen that. Sounds like upper management need to take a look at it. I'll admit that I don't stay at a Hilton all that often but they have always been upscale.

4. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

I have in the UK, seems around the rest of the world they're a lot better. I'd rather stay in a new premier inn here as you know what you're getting

5. Dizneyblonde

Dizneyblonde Secret's Birthday Fairy!

We are staying here in August on Julie's recommendation :D

6. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

We're staying the South Terminal Premier Inn in August. Have used this chain a few times and had no negatives to report. They do a nice breakfast buffet too. :D

If you want a laugh the Gatwick Travelodge is brilliant. Have stayed there twice and it's a giggle but for £19 a room you shouldn't expect much. It was just a place to sleep for a night.

7. Wendy

Thanks Julie, is there parking at the Premier Inn, not long term, but we will have a rental that we will drop it back on the morning we flyout. Is it just like a normal Premier Inn, does it have an onsite restaurant :unsure:

John, the Gatwick Hilton used to be really nice, but they have changed over the years and it has gone downhill. We always have one of their deluxe rooms and even they aren't cleaned properly anymore. I think it's a case of people are only staying for one night so they don't care :shrug:

8. Wendy

We have stayed there every year we go, but last year it was the final straw, we book dinner, bed and breakfast, the dinner was cold so we left and ended up with room service and breakfast was revolting. I actually complained to the concierge and we were given a 50% refund.

I don't mind paying good money but I do expect to get a good service for what I've paid for.

9. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

Sorry not sure about parking as we got the train down, there is a car park opposite though. There is a restaurant but you could also go in the terminal or Sofitel as easily. We got there quite late so just picked up a bed picnic from M&S

10. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

Last time we stayed at the hilton but that was because we got a good deal - room only though, i refuse to pay their prices for a continental breakfast! We eat at the airport after we have done the twilight checkin and have breakfast at frankie and bennys in the morning.

The previous time we stayed at the travelodge. It took the shuttle a crazy amount of time to get to the terminal, we waited there for over an hour, it was bitterly cold (November) and we had isabelle who was only 2 at the time. I wasnt impressed! The room was ok, basic but had everything we needed for one night. The breakfast in the morning wasnt particularly nice though. However, this was over 4yrs ago - and it was only £19 at the time!

11. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Hiltons have started to slip. I used to stay in the Hilton chains (there are many in that corporation) exclusively, but now I'll change it up as often they are run down, with poor service.

12. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

We are flying from Gatwick North Terminal in August also. How far is it from the North Terminal?

We need to be at the airport around 4am groan(!)

Jeff

13. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

It's right next to the Sofitel so about a minute? It's well insulated too so quiet

14. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

Fab may do this instead of Hilton as they wanted something like £180 per night! :jawdrop:

15. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

Iguess it depends what you want out of your hotel. If I'm actually on holiday I want a nice resort hotel with facilities as well as it being clean and comfortable. If I'm just looking to stay overnight somewhere then I want clean and comfortable and if something's wrong I want it putting right, simples!

16. Wendy

You sound just like me :lol:

I think I know where we'll be staying, if it's good enough for you then it will be good enough for me :lol: :lol:

17. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

I should be a premier inn sales person lol
    there are a fewer older ones that are in need of updating but the new ones are pretty good especially when you get a good deal