1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

where would you prefer to stay at a hotel or villa ?

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by disneymom, Jan 28, 2011.

?

where would you prefer to stay at a hotel or villa ?

1. Hotel

10 vote(s)
    47.6%
  2. Villa

11 vote(s)
    52.4%
  1. disneymom

disneymom Imagineer

where would you prefer to stay at a hotel or villa ? and why :D
  2. arkvilla

arkvilla Addicted to Mickey

Well, I'm the first to vote and I guess my answer is obvious

I love the space and freedom of a villa and not being tied to just a room. Some days you don't want to be out all day and it's lovely being able to just relax by the pool and have a easy day.

I know I'm biased and I suspect that I'm possibly going to be the only vote for villas as most Secrets members are disney aficiandos and love everything Disney and that includes being on site.

Each to their own :)

I just love being in Florida on holiday :yes:

Sandra
  3. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

Villa - love the privacey of your own pool.
  4. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

As much as I would probably love a Villa, my DW doesn't want to be connected to cooking or cleaning when we are on vacation. Thus we stay on site in a hotel and enjoy all of the amenities.
  5. arkvilla

Why would she have to cook and clean - restaurants provide food and with just the 2 of you I'm sure there wouldn't be anything to clean up

You should give it a go sometime, at least then you will experience both :)

Sandra
  6. malcolm

malcolm Villa Owner

Haveing stayed in Hotel and 3 villas we liked the idea of private pool and to quiet drink by the pool and not have passing strangers or people walking past your room at all hours laughing and shouting so we decided to buy our own place.
  7. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

I totally agree with those comments even though my DW must be the World`s No.1 cleanaholic! :lol:
    Apart from breakfast by the pool and the very occasional bbq, we always enjoy visiting many restaurants for dinner outside of those [rather expensive] ones at WDW when we stay at our villa.

That said, we always tend to spend a few days at our other "home" [the GF] whenever we go over using our DVC points to fund the stay, so in a way we have the best of both worlds.

We love our villa but also we really enjoy the GF so on that basis I can`t really vote on this poll. :unsure:
  8. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

villa everytime for the reasons already said :).......BUT i would love to stay onsite, never don that yet. not for the full 2 weeks tho cant justify the cost of a moderate hotel. and the values dont interest me at all. a few days onsite would suit me tho :)
  9. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

Onsite hotel for me - stayed in villas the first two trips and as much as it was lovely I prefer to be in the middle of it all - we don't need the space as we are rarely in the room, when we stayed in a villa we hardly used the pool etc as we weren't there enough. I have to be doing stuff and I don't like sunbathing/relaxing! So if DH and the kids are at the pool in the hotel I can be off doing other stuff more easily.
  10. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Well we've always stayed onsite so I guess I can put that side forward :lol:

We've always felt that whilst on holiday we don't want any stress. We want to drink whenever we like hic! and not drive if possible.

Staying on site gives us the Disney bus system to go wherever we want onsite with no problem other than perhaps time :)

We do feel the whole disney experience and the customer service which disney provides is fantastic. We have occasionally stayed in offsite hotels and have felt a little out of it.

We've stayed in values, moderates and deluxes and love them all really :) We've stayed for a few days or weeks at a time and basically the room ends up just being somewhere to sleep so it doesnt REALLY matter how big/small or anything else it is.

Of course, staying in the contemporary or bay lake towers with a wonderful view of the castle really can't be beaten :lol:

Would we try a villa? definitely we would. I'd LOVE to try a week in one this year/next year to see what it's like. DW would love the pool that's for sure and it would be a great base for our offsite excursions.
  11. Tinkfan

Tinkfan Earning my ears

:wave: I would love to try a villa, I don't know if I would do the Disney thing though. There is alot to do in Orlando that we haven't done yet. Truth be told I'm exhausted when we come home! I think it would be wonderful and we could bring some of the kids with us as well :thumbsup:
  12. morowlinson

morowlinson Earning my ears

we stayed in villa for first time last year and loved the freedom back to villa for beer swim and jacussi after long day inpark can't beat it
  13. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

I've not stayed onsite at Disney but have stayed in many hotels and whilst for a non-disney holiday I prefer the social aspect of a hotel, I much prefer the idea of a villa at Disney. The best day we had was at Discovery cove followed by a BBQ around the pool. It was so much fun to have a pool party and a BBQ :yes:
  14. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

Onsite for me!

I think it gives me the sense of 'Value for Money' as I would still experience 'Disney' magic at the hotel and at the park.

I fear that if I stay at non-disney hotel or villa, I would be leaving the magic behind.....

also I simply love seeing the disney shuttles and seeing all the smiling faces on board.

So for me.... staying onsite win hand down!
  15. wdwgrandma

wdwgrandma Addicted to Mickey

I guess my question is, if I'm not going to cook or use the pool, why stay off site in a villa? Just asking... What would be the benefit?

I love being right smack dab in the middle of it all. We very rarely venture off site - usually only if we have a camera or vehicle issue... Disney has so many restaurants to choose from, we don't leave site to dine.

Although John has been known to hop in the pool at our Disney resort, I'm not being caught in public in a swim suit. At least not for at least 30 more pounds... So having my own pool isn't an enticement.

I guess if the cost was right, I'd be willing to try an on site villa some time.
  16. arkvilla

Well if you are a Disneyholic then on site is right for you but the last 2 years we didn't visit Disney - it's Florida that is the draw for us as there's so much to do outside of theme parks.

The space and freedom of a villa and being able to relax away from the hustle and bustle too. I would hate to be stuck in just one room for 2 weeks ( or more)

Theoff site restaurants that can offer meals at much lower rates than onsite.

There are many views Donna, each to their own - that's the beauty of free will and choice. There's no right or wrong answer, just what we each prefer :yes:

Sandra
  17. wdwgrandma

wdwgrandma Addicted to Mickey

I totally agree. What ever suits your needs best! That's why we have so many options.

I know for some folks villas are the way to go - especially for extended stays. Folks are able to save money by shopping and preparing some of their meals, etc. And, for them I can see the benefit. Sort of like some folks staying in the campgrounds. That's not for me either. Camping, for me, is a hotel without a bar or cable... LOL

If we were down there just to run around Orlando and do other things, obviously a resort at Disney wouldn't be as convenient. For that a villa might be the way to go. Heck, when we would visit Anna Maria Island, we'd stay in a duplex owned by a friend of my mom's. It has 2 bedrooms, a living room, a galley kitchen and small eating area. We prepared meals, lounged on the patio, walked to the beach. But we were there more. We don't spend as much time in our resort at WDW because we are out enjoying the parks.

For me, I just love staying on site when we are visiting Disney. I've been down there 3 times when I wasn't on site (hadn't even stayed on site at that point in time), and to be honest, I didn't enjoy the stay as much because of the driving to and from the off site hotel. One of those 3 times I was staying at Vistana. Once we were in Kissimmee, and once at a hotel outside the main gate. I didn't like having to pay for parking at the parks, but I also didn't like relying on provided transportation. Just not as convenient as being right there on site!

I know. I'm spoiled! LOL I'm blaming it on John!
  18. luvdisney

luvdisney Earning my ears

It has to be a disney hotel for me because of the total disney feeling of it all :)
  19. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Villa definitely :)

I love the privacy and not being stuck in one room or having to share the pool with other people - fussy I know :lol:

I like being able to sit on the lanai in the morning eating breakfast and not having to go out to eat all the time. Being able to put bottles of water in a cooler and make a packed lunch rather than having to buy something when we get wherever we are going.

Coming home from a day out really tired and not wanting to go out again so you phone for a pizza delivery and just sit by the pool and eat it without having to get dressed up to out for dinner.

The freedom of having a car and being able to visit other areas, not just the surrounding area of the hotel or Disney property.

There are so many things but at the end of the day I guess it's just down to personal preference :yes:
  20. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

Villa convert!! :wave:

We always used hotels but last year we went for the villa option. Never going back to 2 weeks in one room now. Space, privacy, facilities, freedom.

A few nights in a hotel would be fine I think but to be honest after two weeks at the All Stars I was completely moused out. :lol: